My thoughts on today's trades...

Bills are always rebuilding. Given up hope after 54 years

Never really rebuilt. Just countless bandaids. A rebuild is bottoming out a rebuild is not a splash pickup every year. How many top 5 pick have we had in 17 years of futility. I dont care watkins and Darby are gone. what I care about is why are they reupping every season with a we are on win now mode... No you arent!!!! Why resign Tyrod? He gives us the best chance right now. No he doesnt TJ Yates does. If we are gonna piss it away, lets do it correctly. Or just remain status quo. Why Boldin? What did you tell kyle? whos next, Jerry Hughes? Yarborough seemed to look good. Is Lawson expendable. this, for me goes way deeper than the actual players involved.

The Bills are not the Patriots and McBeane is not Belichick.

And T Taylor is not Brady ?

Watkins never produced in the NFL, period. Due to his injury over the years. At least Matthews will produce more than he did, starting day one. Consistency is key. Gaining yards in the passing game will be great. At least we don't gotta worry about a troubled injury, whether we signed Watkins at the end of the season or not.

Yeah i think the 2nd rounder was a key component to a trade w/ any team + a role that needed to be dealt with due to Darby's departure. I agree that he is not the best, maybe someone else fills the second spot role.

There goes Watkins statement about being ready to take on Gilmore.

Well said

The Bills are not the Patriots and McBeane is not Belichick.

Hey you don't know that yet...someone has to hit the mega millions lottery right?

Bills are always rebuilding. Given up hope after 54 years

Hey Rome won't built in a day!!!!! Cmon. They probably got it done before 20 years though lol

Go Bills!

I know there are people on here with more years of fandom, but I'm in my 30th year. I'm encouraged with direction.

About 27 here, I was ready to drive off a cliff when I got the notification,thought maybe some of the drugs from my younger years was creeping back up 9n me and I was delusional seeing things. However, after looking at the circumstances I took your outlook approach. After 17 years of losing, how can change be such a bad thing?

After these two big trades, which were replacing Watkins for Jordan Matthews and getting rid of Darby for EJ Gaines while acquiring a few draft picks in 2018, it has been a hectic day.

At first I was super upset. How could we get rid of Watkins and Darby!? Are we tanking?!

Well, now that i took a step back we got a better WR in Matthews. Only missed 2 games since 2014 and has had at least 67 receptions each year. We never got to see Watkins shine, but OH WELL. Darby was great his rookie year and last year he kinda fell off.

The way I'm looking at this is that we are trying to get good replacements while acquiring enough picks for 2018 to put us in the race for a top QB by trading up, unless we TANK. The rest of the picks we can acquire a lot of talent that the team is lacking in various positions. We are kind of pulling a Pats* Front Office move, by letting the big stars walk and acquiring players that are more consistent. With these additional picks, it gives us a great start for the 2018-2019 season.

What are your thoughts on us acquiring picks and letting a couple promising players walk?

tanking for Darnold

I think those are some rose colored glasses you got on. Mathews is ok, but is nowhere near the threat that Watkins was. Heck, if he was that good the Eagles would not have had to add a 3rd round pick to get Ronald Darby. Mathews was the throw-in the real price for Darby was the 3rd rounder.

Gaines is no great answer at CB. He is a 5'9" cornerback who has started 10 games the last two years after starting on an awful 2014 Rams team as a rookie. I know INTS don't tell the whole story, but he has only 2 in his career. The trade was Watkins for a second rounder with Gaines an after thought

He's actually a 5'11 cb who does have only 2 career ints in 26 games ...the same as Ronald Darby has in his career, who's also 5'11 in 29 games

My take is that the front office did not think Sammy was going to be the man, nor did they want to force the ball to him all the time in a contract year. A balanced offense spreading it out and getting everyone involved while Shady is the workhorse.

When I first heard about the trade, I was livid, but now that reality sunk in.. Here's the bigger picture.

Boldin/Matthews/Jones + 2nd round pick > Sammy/Woods/Goodwin

Tre/Gaines/Johnson/Wright = Gilmore/Darby/Robey, but we also add a 3rd round pick

I think overall this will not affect 2017 as much as we thought it would and will be a big benefit in 2018 and beyond.

+1 or -1 win in 2017, and we may not be done yet.

Edited by BillsRdue

Maybe they had the picks. Lets assume without the trade they had 2 #1's and their own #2. Assume they finished again with the #10 pick and KC has the 20th pick, they'd need all three picks to get up the 2nd overall pick and more to get to #1. Now they could do that and still draft three more players. And if as you say this was a bad move they may now have a lower pick which could take even less to move up With the 5th or 6th pick plus KC's pick could get them up to #2 which leaves them with 4 more picks.

Yes Watkins is the much better receiver on paper, but looking at career stats shows Matthews to be better. If Sammy has a so-so year and or gets hurt again, likely the Bills would have let him go and got nothing in return. If he had a real great year, doesn't miss any games, he gets either big contract from Buffalo or gets tagged.

My prediction is Watkins has a real good year as players often will play through a bit more pain in contract years. But I also think once he has the contract, he's back on the sideline again more often than not. Regardless of what Sammy does this year, the "I told you so " crowd needs to wait about 2 to 3 seasons first and lets see how he does then consistently.

Considering the Bills already had the picks to move up in the draft (two firsts this year and firsts the next couple of years) to draft a QB, I'm still trying to make sense of trading away talent like Watkins and Darby.

Matthews is a slot receiver who put up good numbers in Chip Kelly's offense. The Bills will not be running Chip Kelly's offense and their WRs lack speed.

They continue to downgrade their DB strength further this offseason. If Brady plays a few more years, that's not a good thing.

So instead of adding a franchise rookie QB to a team with a game-breaking WR, the Bills will also need to draft a speedy WR in the draft. They'll also need to upgrade their secondary.

Seems like they've added more uncertainty with these trades.