• Philly Brown
    • Lesean McCoy
    • Jordan Matthews
    • None of the above.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you suggesting that if Sammy stays healthy all year he may not lead the team in receptions and targets? I just don't see how that is possible. In his 9 game healthy(er) stretch in 2015 to end the season, he was one of the most productive WR's in the NFL (7th I believe). In the lone game where Sammy was somewhat healthy last year, he had 150+ yards and a TD with TT.

Boldin hasn't put up WR1 numbers in a while, not even with Stafford and the prolific passing offense. Again, I think Boldin could be a top target for TT in the redzone, much like how Detroit used Boldin last year...but there is just no way a healthy Sammy doesn't lead this team by a decent margin in every receiving category. In fact, a healthy Sammy will get 85+ Rec, 1300+ yards and 8+ TDs this year...and you can quote me on that at the end of the year (again, I said HEALTHY Sammy). Now if Sammy can't stay on the field, sure, I see someone like Boldin or Clay being some of his favorite targets.

In Fairness, Sammy has never had a season with more that 65 catches, and barely broke 1000 yards in 2015.... I get your optimism, but I'm astounded by the lack of love for Charles Clay who caught 57 from TT last year... If Boldin wasn't an option, I would have picked Clay...

Edited by #34fan

The ground.

So much great comedy around here these days. I remember a time when it was intelligent football conversation with a dash of the comedic talents of Jauronimo and D.C. Tom. Now it's a bunch of people with the comedic talents of Dane Cook weighing in whenever possible.

I left out Shady because I expect him to be more of a checkdown than a go-to target... I don't expect him and Mike Tolbert in screen packages a whole lot, but if you do, just hit "None of the Above."

57 targets last year, so although not one of the top 2-3, he will definitely be part of the passing game. Maybe about 5th in targets?

I went with none of the above for shady. Should he be, no but I think he will.

I have dreams of dink n' dunk sustained drives with Sammy primarily as a decoy, and Boldin and Clay being the drive-engines... Capped-off by screens or handoffs to McCoy/Tobert inside the 30 for 6, OR to set up the goal-Line dive.

Seems like a safer deal... Still, with this array of weapons, you should be able to spin that five different ways, and score points regardless.

So much great comedy around here these days. I remember a time when it was intelligent football conversation with a dash of the comedic talents of Jauronimo and D.C. Tom. Now it's a bunch of people with the comedic talents of Dane Cook weighing in whenever possible.

Dane Cook just groaned.

In Fairness, Sammy has never had a season with more that 65 catches, and barely broke 1000 yards in 2015.... I get your optimism, but I'm astounded by the lack of love for Charles Clay who caught 87 from TT last year!... If Boldin wasn't an option, I would have picked Clay...

Sorry, you misread Clay's stats...he had 57 catches last year...it was 87 targets, not catches.

And if you really want to apply the term "In Fairness" to Sammy, then you need to look at his 3 years as to why he hasn't eclipsed 65 catches...and it has nothing to do with talent or Tyrod.

Rookie - Catching passes as a rookie from a just putrid Orton and offensive system that had one of the worst OC's I have ever witnessed in the NFL.

2nd Year - Hurt to start the year and missed games. Healthy after the bye week and was the 7th MOST productive WR in the NFL over that 9 game stretch. Puts up a huge stat line if you project those 9 games over a 16 game season.

3rd Year - Last year he was pretty much a ghost of himself when on the field and missed the most the season. In the one game he actually started to get healthy enough to contribute (which was Taylors last started game) he put up a huge game with 150+ yards and a TD.

So, in all fairness...a healthy Sammy and TT have had a very productive relationship. Again, the ONLY reason Sammy hasn't put up more than 65 catches has 100% been only because of his injury issues.

Clay on the other hand is averaging the same numbers here he has pretty much averaged his whole career. Considering how much time Sammy missed, how much time the other WR's missed, you would think Clay's stats would be much higher if he was really TT fav target. Sammy is by far his most productive and tuned in connection on this roster, and they have demonstrated on the field every time a reasonably healthy Sammy was able to suit up.

That is why its not even close in terms of this question IF...and thats a big IF...Sammy stays healthy. Sammy is easily a top 10 WR talent in the NFL when healthy. If both Sammy and Taylor stay healthy, he will hit 85+ rec, 1300+ yards, and 8+ TDs. If TT goes down, thats a whole other ball of wax as yates has looked pretty bad from what I read in camp and Peterman is obviously a developing rookie still.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I snorted.

Sorry, you misread Clay's stats...he had 57 catches last year...it was 87 targets, not catches.

And if you really want to apply the term "In Fairness" to Sammy, then you need to look at his 3 years as to why he hasn't eclipsed 65 catches...and it has nothing to do with talent or Tyrod.

Rookie - Catching passes as a rookie from a just putrid Orton and offensive system that had one of the worst OC's I have ever witnessed in the NFL.

2nd Year - Hurt to start the year and missed games. Healthy after the bye week and was the 7th MOST productive WR in the NFL over that 9 game stretch. Puts up a huge stat line if you project those 9 games over a 16 game season.

3rd Year - Last year he was pretty much a ghost of himself when on the field and missed the most the season. In the one game he actually started to get healthy enough to contribute (which was Taylors last started game) he put up a huge game with 150+ yards and a TD.

So, in all fairness...a healthy Sammy and TT have had a very productive relationship. Again, the ONLY reason Sammy hasn't put up more than 65 catches has 100% been only because of his injury issues.

Clay on the other hand is averaging the same numbers here he has pretty much averaged his whole career. Considering how much time Sammy missed, how much time the other WR's missed, you would think Clay's stats would be much higher if he was really TT fav target. Sammy is by far his most productive and tuned in connection on this roster, and they have demonstrated on the field every time a reasonably healthy Sammy was able to suit up.

That is why its not even close in terms of this question IF...and thats a big IF...Sammy stays healthy. Sammy is easily a top 10 WR talent in the NFL when healthy. If both Sammy and Taylor stay healthy, he will hit 85+ rec, 1300+ yards, and 8+ TDs. If TT goes down, thats a whole other ball of wax as yates has looked pretty bad from what I read in camp and Peterman is obviously a developing rookie still.

I saw that and corrected the post.... Clay only Had 57 Catches from a QB that ranks near the bottom in several passing statistics... as another poster pointed out, he does have the most targets at 87.

(Woods had 74 with 51 catches, Shady had 57 targets with 50 catches)

Regardless of the reason, Sammy has never come close to catching the 85+ balIs you're predicting this season... There's no reason to think that this year will be different EXCEPT perhaps the arrival of Anquan Boldin... IMO, he's more durable, better at getting separation, and very accomplished at snagging contested balls... I see a guy like Tyrod, who doesn't throw a lot to begin with, as getting comfortable with that skill set.

You said yourself, Sammy is a big IF.... Given his history, he's very hard to bank on.

Edited by #34fan

I think Sammy will be the #1 target... but if you've got 1 play in the Red Zone to win a game, I'd be looking for Anquan.

Defenders are gonna be draped all over AQ in the RZ... Clay might be your best bet in this scenario.. Tolbert could also bash his way in for 6...

TT could fake the handoff to Shady... Move the safety to the left, then back to Shady wide open at the Right Pylon.... Having Boldin opens up many possibilities.

Edited by #34fan