A Google employee's anonymous rant on diversity and bias

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sure if the person wrote they need to hire more women, muslims, midgets, ogres and trannies he would have been revered.

but, because he spoke openly he is fired

google is a piece of **** company.

My only point is that I don't find it sad at all. If you want to argue Google is ran by hypocrites, that's fine. I would have wanted the employee fired even if the review was praising the things you mention.

At the end of the day I'm a company guy. Don't involve the company in any personal crusade or attention seeking diatribe.

So again, the employee was an idiot who absolutely deserved to be fired. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Common sense is in short supply these days.

But no doubt you are ok with Kaepernick not getting picked up....

Who exactly is biased?

Do you ever say anything that isn't incredibly stupid?

Kaepernick, much in the same vein as Tim Tebow, isn't on a team right now because he isn't good enough to off-set the media circus and the distractions that follow him around.

If he weren't a distraction, and instead silently went about his job as a backup quarterback and a team guy, he'd be rostered right now.

The Google employee who wrote his memo finds himself in a similar boat. Do I disagree with his opinion? No, I don't; but he caused problems for his employer.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

if you want the bias that is google simply look at news.google.com

then simply go to foxnews, drudge, msnbc and cnn and compare the top 5 stories for the world, nation and area.

every single google news story is as left as possible

For what it's worth, you can modify what sources Google News pulls from, if you feel things are running too slanted for you. In the right hand corner (if viewing on desktop) there's a gear icon, click on 'sources' and work from there. You can also put in specific interests, too.

For example, I have Fox News blocked, and my preferred news sources are Reuters, BBC, AP, and NPR.

Edited by Dorkington

For what it's worth, you can modify what sources Google News pulls from, if you feel things are running too slanted for you. In the right hand corner (if viewing on desktop) there's a gear icon, click on 'sources' and work from there. You can also put in specific interests, too.

For example, I have Fox News blocked, and my preferred news sources are Reuters, BBC, AP, and NPR.

npr has good headlines. BBC great for outside of the country. I think they're still butter over that loss. Fox news has its own section on mine. I keep it contained. I have it nicely laid out but as an example this morning in the standard news site was nothing bout best Korea. All about anti Trump xyz

But no doubt you are ok with Kaepernick not getting picked up....

Who exactly is biased?

I'm ok with Kaepernick not getting picked up because he sucks and he is old and this is football.

Having a conversation with you about anything rational has no positive outcome.

So I will refrain from addressing this as anything more than you're a mouth breath tube gobbler

I'm just saying, it's *very* customizable to your tastes. I just added a couple sources, and cleaned up my interests, myself. I don't really have any opinion on if Google is biased, but at the very least you can 'fix' it, if you feel it is.

Edited by Dorkington

My only point is that I don't find it sad at all. If you want to argue Google is ran by hypocrites, that's fine. I would have wanted the employee fired even if the review was praising the things you mention.

At the end of the day I'm a company guy. Don't involve the company in any personal crusade or attention seeking diatribe.

So again, the employee was an idiot who absolutely deserved to be fired. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Common sense is in short supply these days.

the difference here was this company encourages thisntype of feedback. They have software and chats and **** for it.

They don't come against someone who says drastic issues. This guy was fired after it was leaked. He didn't leak it. He posted it in the company. And he was scapegoated

I'm just saying, it's *very* customizable to your tastes. I just added a couple sources, and cleaned up my interests, myself. I don't really have any opinion on if Google is biased, but at the very least you can 'fix' it, if you feel it is.

they do a lot of good tech news, and the aggregate of local news is nice. Hate they use Forbes so much.

And i do agree. But on the base it's only one sided.

Oh. Follow the tab brain science. It's amazing stuff

Edited by Boyst62

It's like the First. You can say anything, but you may not say everything.

Same here. He has a right to his opinion and a right to express it. His employer has a right to deem it wrong, destructive and can his arse if he violates their code of conduct.

Like this board, it has a ToS. Google as an employer has a code of conduct. I can come here and say anything I want, but if I say certain things, opinions, I'd expect to be banned if it did not honor the ToS.

Freedom is not a free for all. Why is this so hard to understand? Oh, because the shoe is on the other foot now. Hypocrites. Now, the Right wants a free for all. The Righties are sure acting like a bunch of butt hurt Snowflakes.

Did you read what he wrote? This is a panties in an uproar reaction by the lefty PC crowd, not the right. And you're soooo wrong on freedom and free speech it hurts. Free speech is a free for all. It's a constitutional right. I understand that it doesn't apply to the corporate world, but this was soo friggin predictable.

And his employer has every right to deem in "incorrect," but don't post hypocritical BS that states that all employee should feel free to express their opinion.

Excuse me. I have to go download Firefox...

Do you ever say anything that isn't incredibly stupid?

Kaepernick, much in the same vein as Tim Tebow, isn't on a team right now because he isn't good enough to off-set the media circus and the distractions that follow him around.

If he weren't a distraction, and instead silently went about his job as a backup quarterback and a team guy, he'd be rostered right now.

The Google employee who wrote his memo finds himself in a similar boat. Do I disagree with his opinion? No, I don't; but he caused problems for his employer.

You do realize how contradictory your above statement is ...right? Because you are so smart,,,,You just reinforced my point....Thanks

What about my statement is contradictory?

Not to defend the idiot, but your middle two statements he quoted: "He's not on a team because he's not very good" vs. "He'd be on a team if he shut the !@#$ up and did his job."

Those two statements seem completely at odds to the irretrievably stupid.

Not to defend the idiot, but your middle two statements he quoted: "He's not on a team because he's not very good" vs. "He'd be on a team if he shut the !@#$ up and did his job."

This is fair.

I'm currently hoping he pops back in to respond that my statement is contradictory because he's a moron.

Because the morons gloss over the qualifying statement that ties the "contradictory" thoughts - not good enough to off-set the distraction.