Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

Way back as a student in Germany in the 1970s (way back before you could check out music on the internet), I would go through the bargain sections of record stores in Hannover to look for something that piqued my interest. Usually, the bargain bins were stuffed with albums by artists you had never heard of (in Germany). On one of these shopping sprees, I saw (and bought) an album by the "Flying Burrito Brothers", mainly because the band name piqued my curiosity. This incident introduced me to...

Gram Parsons

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

I probably went on a jag about this before but the two real principals on that album were vocalist David Wayne and bassist Kurt Vanderhoof. Wayne split/was sacked after the seminal "The Dark" album (or was it the live one), forming bands Reverend and Wayne, before dying from a car crash in 2005. Vanderhoof continued with Metal Church, finding his own version of Arnel Pineda or Ripper Owens but also took on a side-project in Presto Ballet, "playing in the style of American prog rock like Styx and Kansas."

Speaking of dead singers, let's throw out another contemporary of theirs here, called Trouble. Migrating a somewhat different path from doom to stoned out psychedelic-metal (who covers the Monkees?), they intersect that metal space in the late 80's. With singer Eric Wagner passing last year, here's one for a couple of real belters, the aptly titled...

Thanks for sharing  bad-@ass!  Trouble had some great albums but I never saw them  

12 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Oh you son of a gun. I love me a Cheat Prick cover. Better when it's of The Move

But beyond that, thinking of the inbound snowmapocalypse I came here with an appropriate song... (with one of the best lyrics ever... "if this is bliss then sign me up for torture") but it really doesn't do near enough credit to the lovely Leslie Hunt, not as much as this live:

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

German band I had never heard of before I came across them on youtube. While the chat between the songs is in German, most songs are in English. Musically, a fascinating mix of punk, rock, folk, and a bit of Rammstein. Most importantly, no guitars; instead, two violins and a cello (plus bass and drums).

The lead singer looks like a grown-up version of the lead character Aang in the animated TV series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (my kids were just at the right age when that series came out; thus, I have seen a lot of it). Enjoy!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Merry Christmas music lovers!  Here's a HS marching band playing Xmas songs indoors. 

Back story is marching band season went long cuz the football team made a deep playoff run and then they had to learn Xmas songs for their cross-country trip to Disneyland two weeks ago. Normally after marching season they split into three bands and have time to prepare for the winter concert, this was the compromise. Each of the three bands also played one other song including the honors bands traditional finale with alumni:

• Like (+1) 2