Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

Thinking back to Focus, I lost focus that night but just remembered the notion to do a Holland set of the era. How long have drugs been legal there?

Yes, that's the Radar Love band. They've been at it since 1961 and still going...

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Simon said:

'Preciate the tip but I actually don't love (modern) country music; I'm more of a bluegrass guy when I get into that vein.

Ironic though that you picked the "birthplace", since this summer I spent 4 days camped at ROMP in Owensboro, KY. (the back yard of Bill Monroe and the birthplace of bluegrass)

Several of those days partying at the late night stage, standing about 15' in front of Rob Ickes and Trey Hensley. :D

one entire stage is old time bluegrass.  Del McCoury is often there.  Steep Canyon Rangers, Blue Highway etc.  I'll have to check out the KY fest.  Hensley and Ickes did a benefit show in our town recently.  They are amazing.

Edited by redtail hawk

Went to move the wife's car into garage, this was on the stick...A very underrated 10,000 Maniacs song:

From '87, Michael Stipe on backing vocals.

35 years later the lyrics resonate even more... Even more profound considering the way things are going with people, power, natural resources, and the land...

"A lie to say, "O my mountain has coal veins and beds to dig.
500 men with axes and they all dig for me."
A lie to say, "O my river where many fish do swim,
half of the catch is mine when you haul your nets in."
Oh, no, never will he believe that his greed is a blinding ray.
No devil or redeemer will cheat him.
He'll take his gold to where he's lying cold.

A lie to say, "O my mine gave a diamond as big as a fist."
But with every gem in his pocket, the jewels he has missed.
A lie to say, "O my garden is growing taller by the day."
He only eats the best and tosses the rest away.
Oh, no, never will he be believe that his greed is a blinding ray.
No devil or redeemer can cheat him.
He'll take his gold to where he's lying cold.
Six deep in the grave.

Something is out of reach
Something he wanted
He's being taunted
That he can't bag or steal. Nor can he buy.

His oldest pain and fear in life
There'll not be time
His oldest pain and fear in life
There'll not be time
Oh no, hey, hey

A lie to say "O my forest has trees that block the sun
and when I cut them down I don't answer to anyone."
No, no, never will he believe that his greed is a blinding ray
No devil or redeemer can cheat him.
He'll take his gold where he's lying cold.

La la la la la la
La la la, la la la
Oh, la la la, la la la la
La la la la la la la
Lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely man"

On 12/6/2022 at 5:09 PM, Ralonzo said:

I've got a couple stragglers myself... here's one of the first AI generated music video, conceptualizing drummer Michel Langevin's Gigeristic art.

This probably needed to be in the frantic songs set a few nights/whiskeys ago... The Creation, Britain's answer to Paul Revere and the Raiders, or vice versa.

And just for fun... what if Rush were played on a more... limited... drum kit.

You probably know this band, but listening to vovoid, I couldn't help but post these guys second best album.  Frickin brilliant live

• Like (+1) 1

In the 60's the Spiders kicked around Arizona, and then caught some big hits in the early 70's and then the band broke and the lead singer and producer caught some bigger hits in the later 70's, and then there was a resurgence in the 90's

But in the early 80's there was an artist making a statement.

Though to be honestly, the commercial allusion of the release immediately preceding was... superior. IMO. 

Still, both albums lost to the march of time, and underrated.

On 12/1/2022 at 7:15 AM, redtail hawk said:

This is great...and I usually don't like metal.  The sound engineers/producers for these guys are fantastic.

Their take on Holy Wars by Megadeth, from the album some regard as the best metal album ever, is probably their pinnacle if you haven't gotten to that already.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/8/2022 at 4:25 AM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

You probably know this band, but listening to vovoid, I couldn't help but post these guys second best album.  Frickin brilliant live

The most poignant point of Voivod is their sound was tremendously unique due to the atonal and discordant guitar style of Denis D'Amour, who sadly died of colon cancer in 2005, which should have been an end to the band as integral as he was to the sound. However, a concomitant Dan Mongrain of the band Martyr was able to learn much of the riffs and styles having been a fan, and filling in to complete Denis' uncompleted material the band returned more "true to form" than their output from their major label period:

Audio equipment is a hobby of mine.  This was another track recommended for testing speaker performance.  The fact that my dad was a huge fan of Harry James (and the Bills!) and that I bought him this fantastic album (King James Version), recorded in an acoustically excellent chapel with a single state of the art mic direct to vinyl) many years ago as a present, compelled a listen and ultimately buying the unremastered CD from Amazon.

Edited by redtail hawk