Anquan Boldin Signs 1 Year Deal with the Bills Pg45

This is kinda where I get to the nitpicking thing

Does it really matter where the player you dont like falls on the depth chart as long as the bills have adequately addressed the situation?

We have several interior offensive linemen that can play center/guard to include a promising young player in Groy who isnt even a starter at this point. There are plenty of NFL teams that WISHED they had that kind of depth at that postition.

For a team that does have depth concerns this is the last place I would be looking to nitpick.

Maybe so, but that $1.1m guaranteed just seems like a bad decision. If you can get equal or better play for less it's not a good idea. Maybe it's not a major problem but it still a bad decision.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe so, but that $1.1m guaranteed just seems like a bad decision. If you can get equal or better play for less it's not a good idea. Maybe it's not a major problem but it still a bad decision.

We have had worse contracts.....and it doesnt look like the bills are even concerned about overpaying to bring anyone in.

Unless the concern is to roll over more money to next year....where it looks like we are in good shape?

Im not jumping on you Kirby....always respect your posts. I am more worried about safety then i am OC/OG

Chump change (IMO). As for your comment about preferring a young guy as OL depth -- OL always seems to be the position that requires the most development. I think the Bills saw something in Ducasse's tape from last season that gave them reason to believe he is getting better.

We have had worse contracts.....and it doesnt look like the bills are even concerned about overpaying to bring anyone in.

Unless the concern is to roll over more money to next year....where it looks like we are in good shape?

Im not jumping on you Kirby....always respect your posts. I am more worried about safety then i am OC/OG

I'm more worried about safety too for sure. I don't see Ducasse playing much (or at all). Groy will be the 1st man up at all 3 positions. He's good. It's not the end of the world that they signed Ducasse. It's a bad decision but on the importance scale of 1-100 it's less than a 10. It's not worth worrying too much about.

Chump change (IMO). As for your comment about preferring a young guy as OL depth -- OL always seems to be the position that requires the most development. I think the Bills saw something in Ducasse's tape from last season that gave them reason to believe he is getting better.

Chump change maybe but it's more expensive to cut him than to keep him. What if Mudge continues to impress and outplay him? Even at a minimum deal, you'd have the $1.1m to cut Ducasse plus the minimum deal for Mudge. It's just not a good investment for a guy that will be your 5th interior OL that has been bad when given the chance. Castillo is familiar with him and cleary sees something. Again, it's not a big deal but that doesn't make it a good one either.

Or you could do what Badol does and say that you were right, and knew that he could play well if he just stopped playing poorly.

That's where your blind hatred for the message costs you some insight, son. :flirt:

I explained perhaps DOZENS of times that Shady was struggling in 2015 because he wasn't taking the ball upfield but rather trying to beat the defense to the sideline over and over.

The holes were there on the inside.......which is why Karlos and MG were having no problem ripping off big runs/long TD's while Shady labored.

He had developed the bad habits in Philly, which drove Kelly crazy........and he didn't think he would change so he shipped him out.

Right after Shady's season ending gawd-awful performance in Washington that culminated in being carted off.........I said right here.....on TSW.........that if he got his head out of his ass he could put up 5.5 ypc and double digit TD's in 2016.

That wasn't after-the-fact........that was the low point of his CAREER.

For some reason you clowns think I have something personal against McCoy.........I just didn't like where he was headed as a player in Philly and his first year in Buffalo was a complete vindication of that opinion. Dead-nuts-on.

He bottomed out.......admitted his insufficient performance was HIS fault.......not just his head coach being a racist, this time :sick: .........and with an assist from Lynn forcing him to the inside......Shady put up the numbers I predicted.

I'm more worried about safety too for sure. I don't see Ducasse playing much (or at all). Groy will be the 1st man up at all 3 positions. He's good. It's not the end of the world that they signed Ducasse. It's a bad decision but on the importance scale of 1-100 it's less than a 10. It's not worth worrying too much about.

Chump change maybe but it's more expensive to cut him than to keep him. What if Mudge continues to impress and outplay him? Even at a minimum deal, you'd have the $1.1m to cut Ducasse plus the minimum deal for Mudge. It's just not a good investment for a guy that will be your 5th interior OL that has been bad when given the chance. Castillo is familiar with him and cleary sees something. Again, it's not a big deal but that doesn't make it a good one either.

If Mudge outplays him I fully expect him to be cut and eat the contract....NFL teams do this all the time

This is the whole hind sight thing that the bills cannot predict till they get a chance to actually coach the players.....hat if Mudge was a complete no show and then all they had was him behind Groy (not the most horrible scenario)

They spent some money for insurance in that case. Its not my money....and the bills frankly have been pretty frugal

Im not going to call it a mistake till I actually see him in our scheme.

but...who knows we may never see him....my guess is Groy would be next up if either of our starting Guard or center went down.

I realize that you are this astute talent evaluator who has NFL teams knocking down your door....but I think I will wait till the new coaches make that determination sir.

This is why it's a waste of time discussing anything with you. You don't give opinions, you just play the"we don't know til the season plays out," card.

You could say that to every single positive, negative or neutral comment or opinion on this site. It, quite literally, ruins any conversation.

Edited by jmc12290

This is why it's a waste of time discussing anything with you. You don't give opinions, you just play the"we don't know til the season plays out," card.

You could say that to every single positive, negative or neutral comment or opinion on this site. It, quite literally, ruins any conversation.

No I think it just ruins YOUR conversation.....which frankly doesnt break anybody's heart

:)

It's this kind of bad decision making that adds up, IMO. I don't think Ducasse is the reason we don't win 10 games, but years and years of decisions like it, and here we are.

That's where your blind hatred for the message costs you some insight, son. :flirt:

I explained perhaps DOZENS of times that Shady was struggling in 2015 because he wasn't taking the ball upfield but rather trying to beat the defense to the sideline over and over.

The holes were there on the inside.......which is why Karlos and MG were having no problem ripping off big runs/long TD's while Shady labored.

He had developed the bad habits in Philly, which drove Kelly crazy........and he didn't think he would change so he shipped him out.

Right after Shady's season ending gawd-awful performance in Washington that culminated in being carted off.........I said right here.....on TSW.........that if he got his head out of his ass he could put up 5.5 ypc and double digit TD's in 2016.

That wasn't after-the-fact........that was the low point of his CAREER.

For some reason you clowns think I have something personal against McCoy.........I just didn't like where he was headed as a player in Philly and his first year in Buffalo was a complete vindication of that opinion. Dead-nuts-on.

He bottomed out.......admitted his insufficient performance was HIS fault.......not just his head coach being a racist, this time :sick: .........and with an assist from Lynn forcing him to the inside......Shady put up the numbers I predicted.

What you consitanty leave out of your analysis is the real reason for his down year, the hamstring. He missed much of camp, came back much too early, and dealt with it all year. He was not himself.

Shady would not have had that down year without the hamstring, taking the ball outside or not. He showed last year that he has plenty of speed left to win on the edge. More speed than I thought, in fact. I had originally thought that he was more quick than fast. I was wrong. He has both along with elite vision. A few more solid years and he's a borderline HOFer. Your radio prediction was rediculous.

Just admit that you were wrong in your prediction, with no qualifiers, and we can all move on. We all get things wrong.

Edited by SWATeam

It's this kind of bad decision making that adds up, IMO. I don't think Ducasse is the reason we don't win 10 games, but years and years of decisions like it, and here we are.

I just think that the margin for error is so small in the NFL that you have to operate as close to perfectly as you can. The best teams aren't necessarily a bunch of games better than the teams behind them. They make less mistakes in the front office, coaching and in execution. The talent between 11-5 and 6-10 isn't much different normally. Ducasse isn't the difference in any games but it's the type of thing that they'd have been better off doing differently. As an example, I would rather Byrd and Mudge than Gary and Ducasse. It's probably the same type of money that we would be talking about. Again, it's not major stuff but with a small margin for error we need to get it right.

What you consitanty leave out of your analysis is the real reason for his down year, the hamstring. He missed much of camp, came back much too early, and dealt with it all year. He was not himself.

Shady would not have had that down year without the hamstring, taking the ball outside or not. He showed last year that he has plenty of speed left to win on the edge. More speed than I thought, in fact. I had originally thought that he was more quick than fast. I was wrong. He has both along with elite vision. A few more solid years and he's a borderline HOFer. Your radio prediction was rediculous.

Just admit that you were wrong in your prediction, with no qualifiers, and we can all move on. We all get things wrong.

Well your opinion of why Shady labored despite playing in dynamic run systems in 2014-2015 differs from mine, his, and anyone who understands what they are watching.

His hamstring didn't cause him to have the LOWEST YARDS PER TOUCH of any qualifying player in the NFL in Philly in 2014.......because he didn't have a hamstring injury then.

His hamstring injury didn't cause his production to take a dive when it struck again in 2016......missed gametime, came back and looked fine......... and between hamstring issues in 2015 he looked plenty healthy........he just wasn't producing like the other RB's because he wasn't running where the yards were.

As for qualifiers........that's part of assessing the ability of any player.

Vlad Ducasse in this thread.........he's been terrible.........and the likelihood is that he will continue to be terrible.

But in rare instances a switch comes on for an OL and they improve significantly with age.........Glenn Parker was like that with Buffalo........when he was a young, highly regarded prospect tiny LB Damien Covington hoisted and body slammed him like a sack of potatoes in Fredonia and for his first 4 seasons he was a complete mess of a blocker........but late in his career he had a run where he became a vital piece of a very good Chiefs OL.

Ray Brown is another example......rarely saw the field in his 20's......didn't become a full time starter until he was 31........then started and was one of the league's best for 12 more years.

But more often than not......Chris Williams STAYS Chris Williams........and counting on that changing is usually a foolish decision.