Cousins reportedly won't be re-signing in Washington

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if the franchise tag prohibits a trade? If they know he is gone after this year, why not trade him this year? Diminished value knowing he may be a one year rental, but still they probably could get some value.

It's discouraged, but not against NFL rules. Specifically teams can't franchise a player with the intention of trading him. Washington has certainly passed that test at this point. So he could be traded now. Trading him now wouldn't be the worst strategy, but they'd need to allow his agent to work out a long term deal with his new team. If that team is SF (as has widely been reported/speculated) then what would they give up to get him a year early?

He wants top dollar, but he's not even a top 10 guy right now. Could you say with certainty he's top 15? I wouldn't find it unreasonable.

He's easily Top 10.

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Ryan

Wilson

Carr

Cousins

Rivers

Luck

Big Ben

He's thrown for 9,000 yards and had 63 TD the last 2 seasons...can you name more than 1 skill player on Washington without Google?

Do yourself a favor and go look at the 2016 stats for QBs and try to find 15 better than Cousins. You're going to be rather surprised.

Edited by Runninrams

He's easily Top 10.

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Ryan

Wilson

Carr

Cousins

Rivers

Luck

Big Ben

He's thrown for 9,000 yards and had 63 TD the last 2 seasons...can you name more than 1 skill player on Washington without Google?

actually, on radio yesterday they were saying the opposite and that the knock on him is that he's had a very strong supporting cast with his OL, Jordan Reed, Deshawn Jackson, Garçon, Crowder. They took away two of those guys this year but gave him Pryor. Edited by YoloinOhio

He's easily Top 10.

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Ryan

Wilson

Carr

Cousins

Rivers

Luck

Big Ben

I don't think it's that clear. I think he's a near average QB, and the Redskins may prefer to go for broke and chase a top 5 elite player than stick with a middle tier guy.

actually, on radio yesterday they were saying the opposite and that the knock on him is that he's had a very strong supporting cast with his OL, Jordan Reed, Deshawn Jackson, Garçon, Crowder. They took away two of those guys this year but gave him Pryor.

Barring some kind of miracle, the 49ers won't have anywhere near the offensive personnel that Washington had last year. I can't wait until Kirk gets exposed :D

Also, as a Desean Jackson fantasy owner last year, dude can't throw a consistent deep ball for his life.

I don't think it's that clear. I think he's a near average QB, and the Redskins may prefer to go for broke and chase a top 5 elite player than stick with a middle tier guy.

if hes "near average" and "middle tier" then name your top 10...top 15... Let's see some justification because Cousins stats are easily top 10.

The only reason Washington doesnt love him is because he is still seen as just RG3's back up. The fans still have a hard on for RG3 and wont let that grudge go for a long time

Edited by Runninrams

Actually, there's a surprisingly amount of ambivalence in Washington about Cousins - not only in management over a gargantuan price tag, but with the fan base as well. Sure he has numbers, but a lot of fans still think he lacks that magical "it" quarterbacks are supposed to have. Some people have been disappointed with him long stretches of a season, such as the beginning of last year. Some say the talent around him inflated his production. Of course much of this has to do with the first few years of his career when Cousins was atrociously bad - getting benched at one point in favor of Colt McCoy. He's played very well the past two seasons, but Washington still held off - never completely convinced what they have, Of course, logically speaking Washington now must get it done; the odds of replacing Cousins with equal talent are extremely small. But the arm's length attitude of management might have soured the relationship beyond repair.

I wonder if Redskins fans would be feeling this way about Cousins if he had been chosen in the 1st round of the 2012 NFL Draft as opposed to the 4th round.

@rapsheet

Barring the unforeseen, there's a strong indication #Redskins QB Kirk Cousins will play his tag out, sources say. Both sides are OK with it.

I'm thinking this is good for the Bills when it comes to QBs I the draft because imo he will be headed to SF. That would take them out of the top QBs picture. It puts Washington into the top QB picture, but their pick will likely be lower than SF's.

Washington handled this situation about as bad as possible.

They could have signed him to a long term deal but balked at his asking price before the first Franchise tag, then it became ugly and both sides dug in...he would have likely gotten something in the $18 million range long term, which would have been a bargain now.

Now they are paying out the @ss for him on one year deals with either a $35 million cap hit if they Franchise him again or a $28 million if they give him a transition tag next year...or lose him for nothing...

Washington seems clueless way too many times...

Edited by matter2003

Has anyone posted a response along the lines of: "TRADE TYROD, WATKINS AND A 1ST TO WASHINGTON FOR COUSINS AND JOSH DOCTSON! END THIS FREAKING QB PURGATORY AND GET YOUR FRANCHISE GUY NOW AND YOU'LL STILL HAVE A FIRST TO GET AN OL OR WR NEXT YEAR. GET IT DONE OBD!!!!!!"

No, but i'd be 100% for this.

He's easily Top 10.

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Ryan

Wilson

Carr

Cousins

Rivers

Luck

Big Ben

Do yourself a favor and go look at the 2016 stats for QBs and try to find 15 better than Cousins. You're going to be rather surprised.

Yep. Only question is whether he's a top 5 guy.

Bottom line is Cousins can't stand Bruce Allen. McCloughan wanted to extend Cousins after the first year. That was probably part of the reason he got fired. From all accounts I have read, Allen can be a real d*ck. It was a shady move doing what he did and putting out there that McCloughan's supposed drinking problem cost him his job. Then Chris Cooley radio show stunt. That's like something you do in middle school. I hope Cousins does leave and that team falls back into the abyss. I hate the Redskins and that is what all the local coverage is here in VA. They deserve all the crappy years they get and then some.

Edited by H2o

@rapsheet

Barring the unforeseen, there's a strong indication #Redskins QB Kirk Cousins will play his tag out, sources say. Both sides are OK with it.

I'm thinking this is good for the Bills when it comes to QBs I the draft because imo he will be headed to SF. That would take them out of the top QBs picture. It puts Washington into the top QB picture, but their pick will likely be lower than SF's.

If I had to take a stab in the dark the Jets will pick number 1, San Fran number 2, Indy 3, and the Bills somewhere between 4-8. 2 number 1s gives us a ton of leverage especially if 1 is a high first.

If I had to take a stab in the dark the Jets will pick number 1, San Fran number 2, Indy 3, and the Bills somewhere between 4-8. 2 number 1s gives us a ton of leverage especially if 1 is a high first.

Bills will not be in the top 10

Barring some kind of miracle, the 49ers won't have anywhere near the offensive personnel that Washington had last year. I can't wait until Kirk gets exposed :D

Also, as a Desean Jackson fantasy owner last year, dude can't throw a consistent deep ball for his life.

...with you being one of THE pre-eminent talent evaluators and posters here on TBD, I don't feel so bad about NOT buying into the Cousins hype, despite be trashed for it.....for $25 mil+, his stats have led the Deadskins to where?....I feel much better about giving Dennison a shot to finally mold TT (make it or break year IMO), the potential of Peterman and two 1st round picks in 2018 in what seems to be a good QB class versus Cousins.....

And if he were to get tagged again, highly unlikely, it would cost the Skins 30 mill next year. That would be 75 mill in 3 years. Cousins holds all of the cards and is playing his hand the way he should.

Unless, of course, he suffers a career-threatening (or career-ending) injury. Look at Teddy Bridgewater, sitting out his 2nd straight season and may never play again. RG3, Cousins' former teammate in Washington, also suffered a knee injury and has never been the same after that. He went from highly-drafted and successful rookie to a guy fighting to stay in the league. I suppose that with $45 million in the bank, Cousins can afford to take this kind of gamble.