Article on why 2017 passing game can make giant leap forward

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's our loss in we let Cardale walk. Thinking that the rook is better. I hope that happens so I can laugh even harder. Cut a 6'5" second year man with a rocket arm, huge upside, great pocket poise. Over a 6'2" weak arm, can't even run. Now I'm surprised Yates is even in the league by luck. So again let them cut C.J. to make you happy.

KC and Oakland were 1,2 in the league in takeaways. That tends to fluctuate a bit from year to year, and also tends to have a pretty large association with wins..

I didn't even know this. Turnovers have a high playoff correlation. Oakland's defense wasn't even that good so I would at least expect their takeaways to go down. If Kansas City's dropped to average that could be the difference between 11-5 and 6-10, they had a lot of close games.

I didn't even know this. Turnovers have a high playoff correlation. Oakland's defense wasn't even that good so I would at least expect their takeaways to go down. If Kansas City's dropped to average that could be the difference between 11-5 and 6-10, they had a lot of close games.

KC's ST produced quite a few big plays for them as well.

Both KC and OAK did a good job taking care of the football last year.

A nice outlier and regression example would be carolina with 39 takeaways in 2015, and 27 in 2016. Both very good numbers, so that suggests that their defense was good at taking the ball away. They had 19 turnovers in 2015 and 29 in 2016. They went from +20 to -2, and 15-1 to 7-9.

I think that there's a decent chance that the Chargers will be better than the Bills. Both teams will be in that .500 range.

They had some terrible luck last year with turnovers and losing close games. They were in Miami territory and rivers threw a pick 6 and they lost. The 2 raiders games were there for the taking, and their defense is underrated. They added Mike Williams, and get Keenan Allen back. Added Okung on the line. Still have Rivers and Gordon. New HC in Anthony Lynn. Bringing back Whisenhunt who was really successful in his 1 year in SD.

They could win that division and I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by dneveu

Did you know that the Bills had a +41 point differential in Tyrod's starts? Only NE, Pittsburgh and KC were higher in the AFC.

That's like ESPN's 'Sneaky Strength' for the Bills. It was that the defense, while 26th overall in DVOA, was the 3rd best defense when the team was down by more than a touchdown...

So they were good after they already screwed up :lol:

Both KC and OAK did a good job taking care of the football last year.

A nice outlier and regression example would be carolina with 39 takeaways in 2015, and 27 in 2016. Both very good numbers, so that suggests that their defense was good at taking the ball away. They had 19 turnovers in 2015 and 29 in 2016. They went from +20 to -2, and 15-1 to 7-9.

They had some terrible luck last year with turnovers and losing close games. They were in Miami territory and rivers threw a pick 6 and they lost. The 2 raiders games were there for the taking, and their defense is underrated. They added Mike Williams, and get Keenan Allen back. Added Okung on the line. Still have Rivers and Gordon. New HC in Anthony Lynn. Bringing back Whisenhunt who was really successful in his 1 year in SD.

They could win that division and I wouldn't be surprised.

Schefter just reported Mike Williams will likely be out for the season due to back surgery. Not sure how much that affects their record, if at at all.

Yes, I am because TT ain't good. Carr has a bad defense but was still able to lead his team to where TT can't. Now what good weapons does he got? Not a great rb and he still succeeded. How many comebacks against good teams. A lot. How many 200 drives to win the game. Ok thank TT is light years away from all that.

As a rookie gentleman. 6 years you are not a rookie.

Cease your crusade.

Well this is the NFL. You have to win close games.

So some people were wondering how the Bills rank on 3rd down and distance. I decided to put the work in to figure this out. Going through game logs for 32 teams is going to take a really long time. I am starting with Buffalo for obvious reasons. Thus far I went through the first 3 games.

What I did was take a look at the distance on every third down play and then divide by the number of 3rd down attempts. This gives me the average down and distance. I am also going to list how many times out of how many third downs the Bills were at 3rd and 5 or greater.

First 3 games

Average distance on 3rd down: 8.83 yards

3rd down attempts: 37

Number of times 3rd and 5 or longer: 24

Percent of time Bills are in 3rd and 5 or longer: 65%

Doesn't look so good so far.

After I finish the Bills entire season I will likely make a new thread for it since this isn't really the topic of this thread. Sorry Transplant.

Edited by Scott7975

Did you know that the Bills had a +41 point differential in Tyrod's starts? Only NE, Pittsburgh and KC were higher in the AFC.

God, I hate myself for being that guy but they +29 against the 2-14 SF and +20 against the 1-15 Browns. Stats can be very misleading.

God, I hate myself for being that guy but they +29 against the 2-14 SF and +20 against the 1-15 Browns. Stats can be very misleading.

Tell me about it. People here think that stats against sorry teams will win you a Superbowl.

We have all this TT stats comparing them to other way better QBs. But we still have a losing season. Win, Win, Win is the name of the stat. Make the playoffs.

He did what he was suppose to do and did great against bad teams. Its not like we had a great team ourselves.

It's not like we had a great QB ourselves.