Article on why 2017 passing game can make giant leap forward

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/07/west-coast-offense-tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills/

Looks into reasons the Bills passing game and Taylor could be significantly improved in 2017.

Talks a little about the changes in personnel, but the interesting stuff is when it dissects the passing concepts we're supposedly going to be executing this year: play-action passes, simple route concepts, the shallow cross, etc.

Closes with:

Now, Taylor will be playing in a system that is tailored to his strengths and won’t be asked to do too much from a progression standpoint. If Taylor can be more decisive with the ball and limit the number of sacks he takes, the Bills’ offense should make a big leap in 2017.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the post!

"In the 15 games that LeSean McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Charles Clay all played in, Taylor completed 64-percent of his passes for 3,362 yards, throwing 26 touchdowns and six interceptions. In the 14 games without either one of those players, those numbers dropped to a 61.2-percent completion rate, 2,697 passing yards with just 11 touchdowns and six interceptions."

If we could stay healthier as well, this O could really be dangerous. Add in what should be a much improved and much much much more consistent defense as well and this could be one of the most feared offenses in the game.

There's not too many players that could replicate a healthy Tyrod ,Shady and Sammy on a scout team so just preparing for this offense will be challenging

Great read! Thanks for posting. I especially enjoyed the route concepts and the quotes from Coach Walsh on the West Coast Offense. Maybe we can get a more athletic Steve Young out of this with Tyrod..fingers crossed!

Yea that was a great read and has me excited about this offense.

Dimarco could be a true impact player for this offense!

I think Dawkins can beat out Mills at RT and will help a bunch in pass protection. I'm trying not to be overly positive but I'm very excited about this draft class, especially the top 3.

I still think that passing offense hinges on Sammy's availability.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Thanks for the post!

"In the 15 games that LeSean McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Charles Clay all played in, Taylor completed 64-percent of his passes for 3,362 yards, throwing 26 touchdowns and six interceptions. In the 14 games without either one of those players, those numbers dropped to a 61.2-percent completion rate, 2,697 passing yards with just 11 touchdowns and six interceptions."

If we could stay healthier as well, this O could really be dangerous. Add in what should be a much improved and much much much more consistent defense as well and this could be one of the most feared offenses in the game.

There's not too many players that could replicate a healthy Tyrod ,Shady and Sammy on a scout team so just preparing for this offense will be challenging

I'm not sure about much much much more consistent defense that your talking about, our back field is a huge question mark IMO

I'm not sure about much much much more consistent defense that your talking about, our back field is a huge question mark IMO

It's more a testament to how bi polar Rex's defense was. Looking back, that scheme was just a mess!

There's definitely question marks back there but there's also a ton of potential and I feelthis staff will get this D to reach that potential

So, if things go well, then things will go well.

This is much the same thing we've heard again and again. Every year, in fact. And with the details of the plays taken out it's what every team is hearing ... that we're tailoring our offense/defense to our players strengths and this will allow us to get better. Teams that switch coaches say this. Our schemes are better for our guys, so this will improve us.

Thing is, defenses know those schemes and ways to counteract them. Defenses build around taking away offensive players' strengths and forcing them to rely on their weaknesses.

I could imagine this might work to some degree, especially in the early weeks. I just don't see it resulting in the major improvements this article and many similar ones hope for.

It'd be nice if I was wrong.

It's more a testament to how bi polar Rex's defense was. Looking back, that scheme was just a mess!
There's definitely question marks back there but there's also a ton of potential and I feelthis staff will get this D to reach that potential

I can see this defense making major improvements under McDermott. But I doubt it will take full effect for a year or two.

We'll see.

Im still surprised at how poorly Rex's defense performed after watching Pettine run essentially that type of system with a lot of the same players on the field.

Its too bad he took the Cleveland job, a place where all great coordinators kill their careers.

The hope with Dennison Offense is his familiarity with it and his running ability will make it more dynamic than other QBs. That's why I liked the RD hire. Rick knows enough of TT's throwing weaknesses to make the calls. Here's hoping for a better passign game.

Now if he can convince Tyrod to anticipate throws, Fk! we'll be rocking.

Good stuff again from Rob Quinn. He does a nice job.

I expect the passing game to take a step forward because they will throw more and (if healthy) the weapons are improved. 6 more attempts a game is about where they will be. That puts them at like 259 yards a game or something based on Tyrod's yards per attempt for his career.

Gross passing yards are totally irrelevant though. The 2 teams with the most passing yards both missed the playoffs last year. They need to keep putting up points, move the chains on 3rd down, execute in the red zone and take care of the football. That's all that matters. If the Bills do that they will have a top 10 DVOA offense for the 3rd straight year.

The only way the passing game will take a step forward is if Peterman beats out Tyrod in training camp.

Ha ha, there's a better chance of Tolbert beating out McCoy. Edited by Kirby Jackson

The only way the passing game will take a step forward is if Peterman beats out Tyrod in training camp.

is this stated as a fact?

hahahahahahahahaha!!!

will you still root for your QB peterman when he's either released or moved to the practice squad?

good article OP, I have a sense under the new OC, the passing game will improve? giant leap forward? I wouldn't go that far, but improvement none the less.

Ha ha, there's a better chance of Tolbert beating out McCoy.

Ha ha, spoken by someone who THINKS they know everything!

is this stated as a fact?

hahahahahahahahaha!!!

will you still root for your QB peterman when he's either released or moved to the practice squad?

good article OP, I have a sense under the new OC, the passing game will improve? giant leap forward? I wouldn't go that far, but improvement none the less.

Oh look another one who THINKS they know everything. Haha

Ha ha, spoken by someone who THINKS they know everything!

Oh look another one who THINKS they know everything. Haha

I hear things from time to time and it's not looking good for your dreams of Peterman winning the job.

Fwiw, you don't need to know too much to know that Tyrod > Peterman. There are 100% of the people that watch them everyday that share that sentiment.

Edited by Kirby Jackson