New data shows Tyrod/the offense was better than you thought

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones transplant.

I've an idea for you. Start a new thread / Poll and make it public where people can go on record. This way we shall see "for real" who is in the minority and who isn't.

Maybe some people are sick and tired of posting the same thing day after day after day after day. I know I grow tired of it.

I'm even more tired of being called out as a hater and having an agenda.

Your idea for a new thread has been done before. Don't you remember? There was a real minority of people who thought Taylor was a real problem.

And I'm sorry, if you guys are so tired of posting and some are going to just get angry and belligerent (and I'm not talking about you), then why are you posting in these topics you're so sick of discussing?

It absolutely baffles my mind.

And yes, I realize I'm not guilt free. I could always keep my mouth shut and not respond to what are turning into more and more angry and/or belligerent and/or middle school posts, but I haven't been.

With that, I'll try harder to not respond to those posts... or at least do so without bringing myself down to their level.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that I don't know why it's fair to expect the offense to do it more than most? The Hokie stats are pretty damning. The Bills offense shouldn't be vilified for not achieving something that other offenses aren't forced to achieve. They lost 6 games scoring 24 points!! That's more than the AFC playoff teams combined. If you picked up the 2015-2016 Bills offense and paired it with a decent defense you are looking at 11 wins.

I've got more analysis coming, as I've now finished the rest of the league, but I do think I've identified why there is such a rift with blaming O vs. blaming D. Part of my analysis was totaling how many times over the past 2 years that the following happened:

Offense Carried: The team won even though the Defense allowed 24+ points

Offensive Letdown: The team lost even though the Defense held the opponent to 23 or less

Defense Carried: The team won even though the Offense scored 23 or fewer points

Defensive Letdown: The team lost even though the Offense score 24+ points

The Bills ranked as follows over the past 32 games:

Offense Carried: 0 times - T-29th most (Tied with Bears, 49ers, Texans)

Offensive Letdown: 3 times - T-6th fewest (Tied with Giants, Seahawks, Colts, Eagles, and Saints)

Defense Carried: 6 times - T-8th most (Tied with Lions & Bears)

Defensive Letdown: 9 times - 32nd (31st was Chargers with 7)

So the offense has yet to carry a game where the defense has struggled, and the defense has let down our offense more than any other team in the league. Honestly, as sad as that sentence is, it sounds just about right.

I guess that I don't know why it's fair to expect the offense to do it more than most? The Hokie stats are pretty damning. The Bills offense shouldn't be vilified for not achieving something that other offenses aren't forced to achieve. They lost 6 games scoring 24 points!! That's more than the AFC playoff teams combined. If you picked up the 2015-2016 Bills offense and paired it with a decent defense you are looking at 11 wins.

i feel like this should be common sense for people watching the team over the last 2 years and yet its lost on so many poor souls.

if somebody came to a bills fan and said going into week 17 you will be the 6th best scoring offense and have a record low 9's TO's, EVERYONE should take that..... but the sad thing is you have guys around here that might legitimately say "well.... were those rushing or passing td's and how many passing yards does taylor have in this scenario?" LOL.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

I've got more analysis coming, as I've now finished the rest of the league, but I do think I've identified why there is such a rift with blaming O vs. blaming D. Part of my analysis was totaling how many times over the past 2 years that the following happened:

Offensive Letdown: The team lost even though the Defense held the opponent to 23 or less

Offensive Letdown: 3 times - T-6th fewest (Tied with Giants, Seahawks, Colts, Eagles, and Saints)

So the offense has yet to carry a game where the defense has struggled, and the defense has let down our offense more than any other team in the league. Honestly, as sad as that sentence is, it sounds just about right.

YUCK. Thank you for some good analysis, but YUCK. The bright side here is that the those on either side of the argument can read your post and still consider their opinion is still "right".

how about more do it than once a season. IIRC He did it once last season being tied with Jax and his fan club claimed it as a Victory and a check on the he's done it column.

Ha ha, I think that someone has finally defined "Billsy."

how about more do it than once a season. IIRC He did it once last season being tied with Jax and his fan club claimed it as a Victory and a check on the he's done it column.

Again, 6 losses when scoring 24 points. The playoff teams combined for 5. I don't know how you look at that and deduce the offense as the problem?

Your idea for a new thread has been done before. Don't you remember? There was a real minority of people who thought Taylor was a real problem.

And I'm sorry, if you guys are so tired of posting and some are going to just get angry and belligerent (and I'm not talking about you), then why are you posting in these topics you're so sick of discussing?

It absolutely baffles my mind.

And yes, I realize I'm not guilt free. I could always keep my mouth shut and not respond to what are turning into more and more angry and/or belligerent and/or middle school posts, but I haven't been.

With that, I'll try harder to not respond to those posts... or at least do so without bringing myself down to their level.

Poll Wording makes all the difference

Is TT the "real" problem, or is TT the long term answer.

I am looking for discussions not pissing contests. Sure I may have strayed a few times, but one can only be called a hater or have an agenda so many times before it topples the scales.

TT is the best option we have

I wish we could see more from him and the team

There is nothing wrong with that sentiment. But being called a hater for it is not right.

Ha ha, I think that someone has finally defined "Billsy."

Again, 6 losses when scoring 24 points. The playoff teams combined for 5. I don't know how you look at that and deduce the offense as the problem?

Wins against playoff teams with equally bad defenses.

When TT can lead the Bills to victories over Tannehill in Mai, Fits in NYJ, A Smith in KC, Carr Oak, and NE I'll stop being so critical.

And please beating NE with a 3rd string rookie with a busted hand and only scoring 16 points is naught but a moral victory.

cheers

There have been polls. But if you make that poll with your wording "Is TT the "real" problem, or is TT the long term answer," you leave out all the middle ground where the vast majority I'm talking about sit.

I'm speaking for myself, but I believe the vast majority are, at best, "undecided, but somewhat encouraged" as to whether TT is the long term answer, but believe what he's done so far warrants a longer look.

If you think this poll should be created and you think wording is key, you should create that poll. But again, we had something like that as a poll over at BBMB, and it truly was a vocal minority who thought TT was "the real" or even "a big" problem.

I am looking for discussions not pissing contests. Sure I may have strayed a few times, but one can only be called a hater or have an agenda so many times before it topples the scales.

There is nothing wrong with that sentiment. But being called a hater for it is not right.

Well, sounds familiar, and it swings both ways with both sides of the argument

When you have idiots saying dumb stuff like you've "got it hard for Taylor," it makes civil discussion virtually impossible.

People need to not make everything so personal on a message board.

There have been polls. But if you make that poll with your wording "Is TT the "real" problem, or is TT the long term answer," you leave out all the middle ground where the vast majority I'm talking about sit.

I'm speaking for myself, but I believe the vast majority are, at best, "undecided, but somewhat encouraged" as to whether TT is the long term answer, but believe what he's done so far warrants a longer look.

If you think this poll should be created and you think wording is key, you should create that poll. But again, we had something like that as a poll over at BBMB, and it truly was a vocal minority who thought TT was "the real" or even "a big" problem.

Outside of the Seahawks game, I wasn't particularly encouraged by last year's version of TT, and I'm surprised so many are. We need better from that position if we want to become a legitimate contender. I'm in the camp of "I hope it was terrible coaching that made him play as poorly as he did for much of last season, otherwise, we need to use both of those 2018 1st rounders on a top flight QB draft pick".

Outside of the Seahawks game, I wasn't particularly encouraged by last year's version of TT, and I'm surprised so many are. We need better from that position if we want to become a legitimate contender. I'm in the camp of "I hope it was terrible coaching that made him play as poorly as he did for much of last season, otherwise, we need to use both of those 2018 1st rounders on a top flight QB draft pick".

I don't think it was terrible coaching. I do think it was a reflection of the team philosophy. The offense was a run first, ground & pound, ball control offense with the potential for big plays sprinkled in. This offensive philosophy can certainly be successful when you have a D that consistently performs well paired with it. Our offense was never the reason we won, and it was rarely the reason we lost. An inconsistent defense was the controlling factor all year. When the D was on we won a lot (83.3% Win rate when opponents were held to 23 or fewer points). When the D was off we lost.

I'll chime in with where I stand. I think Tyrod was the best we could do this year and I hope the passing offense improves. I thought he showed promise in 2015 but slid in 2016. If it doesn't improve I hope the Bills spend those picks wisely next year on a QB and he becomes the answer

I'll chime in with where I stand. I think Tyrod was the best we could do this year and I hope the passing offense improves. I thought he showed promise in 2015 but slid in 2016. If it doesn't improve I hope the Bills spend those picks wisely next year on a QB and he becomes the answer

And this, I feel, is where the vast majority of us stand :thumbsup:

I don't think we need a poll to reveal that :flirt:

Well, sounds familiar, and it swings both ways with both sides of the argument

When you have idiots saying dumb stuff like you've "got it hard for Taylor," it makes civil discussion virtually impossible.

People need to not make everything so personal on a message board.

These are the posts to ignore.

agree. he either steps up and they contend or they start from scratch with a pick from next years draft and the drought will likely see 20 years. that simple really but what would an off season be without all the discussion about the QB.

Appreciate the analysis but I don't know any posters who thought the defense wasn't an issue. Even the handful of "Rex guys" thought the defense sucked, just for different reasons.

Blaming the defense for TT's deficiencies is like blaming TT for the defense letting up 34 points. Inane on both sides.

When TT can lead the Bills to victories over Tannehill in Mai, Fits in NYJ, A Smith in KC, Carr Oak, and NE I'll stop being so critical.

And please beating NE with a 3rd string rookie with a busted hand and only scoring 16 points is naught but a moral victory.

cheers

Taylor and the Bills blew out Tannehill in Miami in 2015. Beat Fitz and the Jets twice in 2015 also.

Appreciate the analysis but I don't know any posters who thought the defense wasn't an issue. Even the handful of "Rex guys" thought the defense sucked, just for different reasons.

Blaming the defense for TT's deficiencies is like blaming TT for the defense letting up 34 points. Inane on both sides.

31 points scored, one minute left, should have been enough to beat Miami. Why should this offense have to score 40 points against the better teams when the defense gives up over 30 to them? Why should the offense have to do even better than not turn the ball over against everyone, and yet not expect the defense to get turnovers from the better teams.

Edited by JM2009

31 points scored, one minute left, should have been enough to beat Miami. Why should this offense have to score 40 points against the better teams when the defense gives up over 30 to them? Why should the offense have to do even better than not turn the ball over against everyone, and yet not expect the defense to get turnovers from the better teams.

only stats I see as relevant are as follows:

1. Batch #1-7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 8-8, 8-8, 7-9........you get my drift

2. Batch #2- oh fer 17 and counting........

...individual stats mean squat (except to ME Brees).....break the schneid FIRST and THEN we can talk about HOW it happened.....THIS JUST IN: I am not rooting against TT being successful by ANY means....only a purebred azz who hope a kid fails to fulfill his NFL dream....let's say his stats were pedestrian or below at best with Shady rushing for 1,600 yds and a DE (pick one) recording 23 sacks, with the result being the SAME 7-9....now what?....I missed the TEAM concept memo I guess.........

only stats I see as relevant are as follows:

1. Batch #1-7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 8-8, 8-8, 7-9........you get my drift

2. Batch #2- oh fer 17 and counting........

...individual stats mean squat (except to ME Brees).....break the schneid FIRST and THEN we can talk about HOW it happened.....THIS JUST IN: I am not rooting against TT being successful by ANY means....only a purebred azz who hope a kid fails to fulfill his NFL dream....let's say his stats were pedestrian or below at best with Shady rushing for 1,600 yds and a DE (pick one) recording 23 sacks, with the result being the SAME 7-9....now what?....I missed the TEAM concept memo I guess.........

All I know is a few, not you, brush of the poor defense and blame everything on TT. The offense did enough overall in 2016 to make the WC if the defense had performed better.

My post blamed no one for anything, and didn't mention Tyrod whatsoever. What exactly are you on about?

My post blamed no one for anything, and didn't mention Tyrod whatsoever. What exactly are you on about?

He's saying that a poor defense against the better teams doesn't matter. If the Bills give up over 30, TT should score 40 points. Unrealistic.

cheers

When you score 34 points, break a franchise record for yards and leave the field with the lead and a minute to go how can a reasonable person pin that loss on the QB? That's not logical.

I'm not picking on you but the people that think QB is the reason that they were 7-9 are so wrong. The offense played at a playoff level. The defense played at a 3 win level. The HC was awful as well. We need to stop using our emotions and start looking at the facts. The facts don't blame the guy that put up 31 points for the Fitz loss or Moore loss. That's someone with an agenda, not logic.

i feel like this should be common sense for people watching the team over the last 2 years and yet its lost on so many poor souls.

if somebody came to a bills fan and said going into week 17 you will be the 6th best scoring offense and have a record low 9's TO's, EVERYONE should take that..... but the sad thing is you have guys around here that might legitimately say "well.... were those rushing or passing td's and how many passing yards does taylor have in this scenario?" LOL.

This post should be stickied.

When you score 34 points, break a franchise record for yards and leave the field with the lead and a minute to go how can a reasonable person pin that loss on the QB? That's not logical.

I'm not picking on you but the people that think QB is the reason that they were 7-9 are so wrong. The offense played at a playoff level. The defense played at a 3 win level. The HC was awful as well. We need to stop using our emotions and start looking at the facts. The facts don't blame the guy that put up 31 points for the Fitz loss or Moore loss. That's someone with an agenda, not logic.

This too. That second Miami win should have been a W, and yet there are a handful that blame TT for the loss. That is an agenda, you're right.

See, I have an issue with people who say "the only stat that matters is the record" when it comes to a QB discussion as though that sums up the QB argument... or is a big factor in it.

The Bills won a game against Cincinnati, but after that game I was discouraged about Taylor as a QB because he was horrible. I felt that way while being happy about the Win, of which Taylor had little to do with.

The Bills lost against Seattle and Miami at home, but after both games I was incredibly encouraged about Taylor as a QB because he was excellent. I felt that way while being bitterly disappointed about the Loss, of which Taylor had little to do with.

I don't understand the inability to separate an examination of the quality of a QB from Wins and Losses.

If that's what we're doing, then Andrew Luck, Joe Flacco, Phillip Rivers, and Drew Brees all deserve immense criticism themselves for Win/Loss record of the Colts, Ravens, and Chargers over the last 2 years and the Saints over the last 3 years.

Taylor detractors are like Trumpers...no amount of facts will sway them.

TT is going to bust out this year....Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, and some guy named Sammy will prove that a vastly different WR corp will work wonders.

Jones is not going to miss a beat...he'll be just like he was in college...and I predict he will have over 60 receptions.

Edited by Domdab99

Roch - thanks for the detailed response.

What I copied and pasted from your post is really a misinterpretation of the data. Tyrod is absolutely not "better" when under pressure. Our offense's DVOA, like every offense except for the Packers, was negative when Tyrod was under pressure.

Tyrod is really great under pressure relative to every other QB in the league but he still isn't playing at his best. Tyrod is at his best, like all QBs, when he has time in the pocket to evaluate the field and throw the ball. A defense that gets pressure on Tyrod should still expect on average to have a positive play.

If our pass protection improves in 2017, our offense should be better overall. How much better also depends on if the rest of our offense can keep their other measures where they were. If for example our run game declines we will need the pass protection and/or Tyrod to be that much better.

I don't have anything to add but thank you for running this data. It is very illuminating.

This is wrong.

Tyrod was below average when not under pressure...he performed much better when facing pressure, which a number of us attribute to his mobility and playmaking ability.

This is wrong.

Tyrod was below average when not under pressure...he performed much better when facing pressure, which a number of us attribute to his mobility and playmaking ability.

It's not wrong. You just might disagree with their methodology.

First of all, it's considering entire offensive DVOA on passing plays, so positive yards, whether via Taylor scrambling or passing, would factor positively towards offensive DVOA. And the opposite would also be true.

Knowing that Footballoutsiders overall DVOA of Taylor the Passer is #19, I'd suspect that one of the reasons those "plays with no pressure" are average (16) is partially the same reason the plays with pressure jump to #2: they're factoring scrambles into that equation, whereas with their typical DVOA to end the year when they rank team offense in both the passing and running game, they lump scrambles in with the running DVOA, despite the fact that sacks are still part of the passing DVOA.

So really it's not wrong. You just don't agree with it, which is to be expected considering your criticisms of when I broke down his scrambles from his designed runs and considered them part of the overall passing game.

Hey, looks like others are catching on. :flirt:

In the second Miami game the offense came back three different times from being down by 14 points - finally taking the lead with 80 seconds left with a TD pass on fourth down.

The offense showed real fight in that game. I'm not sure how anyone could say otherwise....

Edited by grb

On the second Miami game : The offense also came back three different times from being down by 14 points - finally taking the lead with 80 seconds left with a TD pass on fourth down.

The offense showed real fight in that game. I'm not sure how anyone could say otherwise....

Just watch, people will make the case. Let's not forget that a playoff berth was on the line.

Did you read what I said or?

I don't think posting any stats on the defense does anything for Tyrod's analysis?

Did you forget what topic you were in? Are you excluding TT from your analysis entirely? Why is your post in the Tyrod topic instead of a topic about the defense?

He's saying that a poor defense against the better teams doesn't matter. If the Bills give up over 30, TT should score 40 points. Unrealistic.

Not even close, but an unsurprising leap from you.

I don't think posting any stats on the defense does anything for Tyrod's analysis?

Did you forget what topic you were in? Are you excluding TT from your analysis entirely? Why is your post in the Tyrod topic instead of a topic about the defense?

It was a direct reply to someone else posting about our record when we score 24 or more points, and all the stats were directly related to that vein of thought. Surely you can comprehend that if you go back and read it instead of responding just to respond.

Also, because it seemed like that particular topic was diverting from the original I started a separate thread to expand on those points that have nothing to do with Tyrod specifically.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

To be fair the topic is Tyrod/offense. Hokie's analysis simply digs deeper into the losses to try to pinpoint who should shoulder the load and when.

I'm sure overthinking has something to do with it, but do you think that part of it is that he struggles to see open receivers over the LOS because he's relatively short? I'm interested in seeing if Dennison does any rolling pockets this year to open some passing lanes for TT.

I think it could, but watching more "highlights" and game action - I think similar to Brees he could see enough, but there were times he chose not to throw, but when there was pressure and he reacted - he hit Clay a couple of times between the hashes and down the field late.

We will see more this year in a different scheme.

Did you read what I said or?

Not even close, but an unsurprising leap from you.

Bottom line: No reasonable person would blame TT for that Miami loss.

It was a direct reply to someone else posting about our record when we score 24 or more points, and all the stats were directly related to that vein of thought. Surely you can comprehend that if you go back and read it instead of responding just to respond.

Also, because it seemed like that particular topic was diverting from the original I started a separate thread to expand on those points that have nothing to do with Tyrod specifically.

To be fair the topic is Tyrod/offense. Hokie's analysis simply digs deeper into the losses to try to pinpoint who should shoulder the load and when.

Fair enough. I apologize Hokie, I feel like I see the defense brought up a lot in these topics as if it isn't universal that they weren't good and Rex Ryan sucked.

But I don't think that fact supports TT at all. His flaws are his flaws, with the 20th D or the 1st.

Bottom line: No reasonable person would blame TT for that Miami loss.

Okay? Again, not what I said.

Edited by jmc12290

Fair enough. I apologize Hokie, I feel like I see the defense brought up a lot in these topics as if it isn't universal that they weren't good and Rex Ryan sucked.

But I don't think that fact supports TT at all. His flaws are his flaws, with the 20th D or the 1st.

Okay? Again, not what I said.

I don't think anyone is debating the strengths and weaknesses as much as the role that perception plays in all of this. If the defense didn't allow those 30.5 points a loss and it resulted in a couple more wins the narrative would be different. We would be talking about a 27 year-old (or whatever he is) QB with 47 TDs and 12 INTs in 29 starts and one or two playoff appearances. Would he be a better or different player? Nope, but the perception and narrative would certainly be different. The strengths and weaknesses wouldn't change though. The data says that the Bills offense had to do more than other offenses because of Rex's failings. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't think anyone is debating the strengths and weaknesses as much as the role that perception plays in all of this. If the defense didn't allow those 30.5 points a loss and it resulted in a couple more wins the narrative would be different. We would be talking about a 27 year-old (or whatever he is) QB with 47 TDs and 12 INTs in 29 starts and one or two playoff appearances. Would he be a better or different player? Nope, but the perception and narrative would certainly be different. The strengths and weaknesses wouldn't change though. The data says that the Bills offense had to do more than other offenses because of Rex's failings.

Imagine the last two seasons without Taylor, going with what we had other than him.

I don't think anyone is debating the strengths and weaknesses as much as the role that perception plays in all of this. If the defense didn't allow those 30.5 points a loss and it resulted in a couple more wins the narrative would be different. We would be talking about a 27 year-old (or whatever he is) QB with 47 TDs and 12 INTs in 29 starts and one or two playoff appearances. Would he be a better or different player? Nope, but the perception and narrative would certainly be different. The strengths and weaknesses wouldn't change though. The data says that the Bills offense had to do more than other offenses because of Rex's failings.

Would it?

We've all seen how Brock Osweiler has been an unsung hero in Houston because of how his defense has played.