PFF: The Unstoppable Run Schemes of the Buffalo Bills

Big C

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-the-unstoppable-option-run-schemes-of-the-buffalo-bills/

Nice little read about our option runs under Roman & Lynn with a few gifs. One of the big questions going into next season will be if Dennison can replicate our successful ground game. Tyrod's value as a runner cannot be understated, no matter what you think of him as a passer.

Couple things in the gifs regarding past Bills: Hope any of our new WRs blocks like Woods. Love his hustle down the field on that first play. Always with the runner, looking for someone to hit. Gillislee's ability to make one cut into the hole and just get downfield is something we need to see from JWill (or whoever our RB2 is). I hope he doesn't gash us next year.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-the-unstoppable-option-run-schemes-of-the-buffalo-bills/

Nice little read about our option runs under Roman & Lynn with a few gifs. One of the big questions going into next season will be if Dennison can replicate our successful ground game. Tyrod's value as a runner cannot be understated, no matter what you think of him as a passer.

Couple things in the gifs regarding past Bills: Hope any of our new WRs blocks like Woods. Love his hustle down the field on that first play. Always with the runner, looking for someone to hit. Gillislee's ability to make one cut into the hole and just get downfield is something we need to see from JWill (or whoever our RB2 is). I hope he doesn't gash us next year.

I was about to start a new thread linking this very same article but big C beat me to it.

While most fans worry about the passing game, I don't. I think we pretty much know what it'll look like this year (and it won't look like Drew Brees throwing for 5,000 yards).

What I worry about instead is the run game. It was so effective last year - most yards, most yards per play before contact, most yards per play - that it's hard to imagine it being so productive again.

I hope Rico is studying what worked last year for us, besides bringing in his own stuff.

JW had those same holes and sucked.

Supposedly he was running with a hurt foot.

But I agree, JW did not look impressive in '16.

Good stuff. This is also the reason why Gillislee had the numbers he did. That's why I wasn't worried about Gillie going to Pats for big $$.

anyone miss Karlos Williams? Exactly.. here's hoping we say the same thing about Gilesee. Edited by Idandria

....so the unstoppable run game and 7-9 equate to happy happy?..........interesting......

Last year's record is not on the running game. Even with no WRs at times, if that team had a coach and any semblance of a defense they make the playoffs.

....so the unstoppable run game and 7-9 equate to happy happy?..........interesting......

My reply was going to be "so unstoppable we made the playof - - oh wait"

Last year's record is not on the running game. Even with no WRs at times, if that team had a coach and any semblance of a defense they make the playoffs.

I think issue was taken with the word "unstoppable"

An except:

Buffalo averaged 5.15 yards per carry on designed runs last year. The difference between the Bills and the second-place Cowboys is the same as the difference between the Cowboys and the ninth-place Steelers.

The run game was damn good. Doesn't mean the pass game or defense was any good.

...last year's record is a culmination of many failures IMO........COACHING or lack thereof.....advertise to the world you're a "run first" offense?...why?....telegraph your intent on billboards?...consider the blowhard source with only ONE stallion in the stable...Shady goes and then what?.......no substance like the old man....who takes a top 5 defense to the bowels of 19 other than Wrecks?.....throw in a Roman inherited offense by Lynn, knowing that Roman flipped out when Cassel was traded, saddled with TT as second fiddle, and wonder how much Roman's turpitude was into TT's development...throw in TT's ability to yet show he can process/read the entire field in <5 seconds...sounds like the makings of a "winner" IMO........

The article gives credit to the threat of Tyrod's running - some of us have been saying this for a while.

It's hard to quantify TT's contribution to the offense last year. He didn't throw for a lot of yards and he certainly demonstrated some deficiencies as a passer. But Tyrod added more to the ground game than just the yards he actually ran for. Just talking about the run game, there was a powerful alchemy in the combination of Shady athleticism, Tyrod's athleticism, Roman's play-design and ALynn's play-calling.

I'm really interested in seeing how Dennison uses Tyrod & Shady this season.

I dont care about having the #1 Run game, its not how you get to the superbowl. You MUST be able to throw the damn ball and do it well. I would rather drop to 8th or 10th in rushing and greatly increase our passing numbers.

Football is simple: all you need to do is score more points than your opponent.

And we scored a lot of points last season - especially when TT was playing and ALynn was calling the plays.

But our opponents scored even more 9 out of 16 times. That's not the fault of our offensive passing game.

I don't care how we score our points as long as we score more than the other guys.

Edited by hondo in seattle

While most fans worry about the passing game, I don't. I think we pretty much know what it'll look like this year (and it won't look like Drew Brees throwing for 5,000 yards).

What I worry about instead is the run game. It was so effective last year - most yards, most yards per play before contact, most yards per play - that it's hard to imagine it being so productive again.

Our Defense sucked last year...That is the main worry for this team. Tyrod is a servicable QB and with that kind of Running game, if the defense kept its side of the bargain, we would have won more games.

...last year's record is a culmination of many failures IMO........COACHING or lack thereof.....advertise to the world you're a "run first" offense?...why?....telegraph your intent on billboards?...consider the blowhard source with only ONE stallion in the stable...Shady goes and then what?.......no substance like the old man....who takes a top 5 defense to the bowels of 19 other than Wrecks?.....throw in a Roman inherited offense by Lynn, knowing that Roman flipped out when Cassel was traded, saddled with TT as second fiddle, and wonder how much Roman's turpitude was into TT's development...throw in TT's ability to yet show he can process/read the entire field in <5 seconds...sounds like the makings of a "winner" IMO........

well said otag...

That should be no surprise to anyone. Greg Roman is the best coordinator of a running game in the National Football League. He is as creative in the run game as any of the more well known "offensive innovators" who focus on the passing game. Take this to the bank - The Ravens running game which was moribund last year will be top 10 this year. Greg Roman is just that darn good.

Now his passing game on the other hand.... might kindly be described as "basic" and where the Shanahan / Kubiak / Rico scheme is much better than Roman is using the run to set up the pass. Roman's offenses lack that philosophical cohesion.

I do fear we will become a bit more one dimensional in the run game though. Roman could beat your every way in the running game. When he was calling the plays they focused on trying to get Shady outside. Lynn's calling of the plays from the same playbook focused on getting Shady north and south more quickly.... both styles of run game topped the league in rushing offense. Rico said they have looked at elements and will try and incorporate some of what Roman did, but I think you can expect us to be 90% a zone stretch run game which takes away a little bit of the back's ability to "freelance" on plays because there will, simply by nature of the scheme, be unblocked defenders coming from the open side. Now we know Shady can still make a defender miss in the open field, but for him to have a big year he will need to stay nice and disciplined in the scheme and hit the holes that it creates.

Top 10 in offensive touchdowns.

I agree we need a better passing game, but not to the extent Bills fans think.

If the run game stays the same. If the run game drops from say 1st to say 10th or 12th (just for reference Denver were 17th (13th in ypa) and 27th (28th in ypa) in Rico's two years there as OC) then the improvement we need from Tyrod to pick up the slack as well as a better collective effort defensively will be greater than it would have been simply adding a small improvement from Tyrod and a big step from the D to Roman's run game.

Good stuff. This is also the reason why Gillislee had the numbers he did. That's why I wasn't worried about Gillie going to Pats for big $$.

Gillislee got more per play than McCoy. Yeah the play designs helped. But that wasn't why Gillislee was good.

Losing him hurts.

anyone miss Karlos Williams? Exactly.. here's hoping we say the same thing about Gilesee.

Gillislee was already on the team and looking excellent when we cut Karlos Williams. In 2015, Gillislee had averaged 5.7 YPG, and that's why there wasn't much of an uproar except maybe sadness about losing Karlos.

This year we haven't got someone ready to move in and take over who has already looked very good the way that Gillislee had in 2015.

Gillislee got more per play than McCoy. Yeah the play designs helped. But that wasn't why Gillislee was good.

Losing him hurts.

Gillislee was already on the team and looking excellent when we cut Karlos Williams. In 2015, Gillislee had averaged 5.7 YPG, and that's why there wasn't much of an uproar except maybe sadness about losing Karlos.

This year we haven't got someone ready to move in and take over who has already looked very good the way that Gillislee had in 2015.

Far too much lament over the loss of a backup RB IMO.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz