Rodak: Mike Tolbert could emerge as #2 RB

Sure, if someone replaces his productivity.

If the running game struggles behind McCoy, we are losing and MG is tearing it up in NE I'll be bitching all season.👍🏻

If you look at his numbers objectively his production is replaceable. In fact he was less productive than Kalos william was per game.

Fun fact- Karlos Williams averaged more rushing yards, receiving yards and TDs per game for buffalo than MG, And he was certainly replaced.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at his numbers objectively his production is replaceable. In fact he was less productive than Kalos william was per game.

Fun fact- Karlos Williams averaged more rushing yards, receiving yards and TDs per game for buffalo than MG, And he was certainly replaced.

By MG! Thus, we're screwed.

#scottlawlogic

Sure, if someone replaces his productivity.

If the running game struggles behind McCoy, we are losing and MG is tearing it up in NE I'll be bitching all season.

Here's a few reasons why we did what we did IMO

1 - If you are trying to extend him- Start negotiating at 2.7 mil per year instead of 1.5 per year. You basically have a 0% chance of extending him - so it is a 1 year deal and he walks next year and factors into your comp picks for 2019.

2 - 2.7 million is the 2nd round tender - that makes him the 13th highest paid player on the team by cap space. For a backup running back.

3 - Adrian petersons cap hit this year is 2.25 million... just saying...

4 - A 5th round pick in 2017 isn't bad compensation for a UDFA back we picked up off the scrap heap 2 years ago. If he walked after next season we probably don't even get a 5th comp pick in 2019.

?

So the Bills didn't want him to be the 13th highest paid player on the team? OK.

Your right a 5th round pick for an UDFA isn't bad at all. The chances of that guy being as productive as MG are slim to none.

I'll take a good, reliable player over comp picks any day. What's the obsession with comp picks? A 5th rounder on top of that?

I'm aware.

Hopefully JW can keep the trend going.

Who did we draft with that pick....was it one of the linebackers?

Its not really that simple.

A good rotational back can be very effective for an offense as we saw last season with MG.... Replacing him with Tolbert or a struggling Jonathan Williams will be detrimental to the offense.

He will be replaced. Just like Freddie was. And just like Karlos was.

If Williams takes a step the Bills will be fine. If the plan is to have Tolbert carrying the ball the running game will regress.

Yes, the Bills had Karlos and MG but that was a different scheme and unknown players. Tolbert is who he is and isn't the guy that will keep it rolling. If they don't like where Williams is they will have to add a guy to be the number 2 (I'd push for D'Angelo Williams).

If Williams takes a step the Bills will be fine. If the plan is to have Tolbert carrying the ball the running game will regress.

Yes, the Bills had Karlos and MG but that was a different scheme and unknown players. Tolbert is who he is and isn't the guy that will keep it rolling. If they don't like where Williams is they will have to add a guy to be the number 2 (I'd push for D'Angelo Williams).

Said he wants to go to a Super Bowl contender, so doubt the mutuality would be there, but would 100% support OBD trying. Maybe the familiarity with McDermott and Tolbert?

As someone with experience in this scheme, who also appears to be on the bubble, I'd look out for Alfred Morris if he gets cut loose in Dallas.

Its not really that simple.

A good rotational back can be very effective for an offense as we saw last season with MG.... Replacing him with Tolbert or a struggling Jonathan Williams will be detrimental to the offense.

I think it really is that simple. I'll use Thurman Thomas as a great example. Most of us remember Kenny Davis as being his "spell guy". Do we so quickly forget Carwell Gardner, Darick Holmes, Larry Kinnebrew, Jamie Mueller, and Rob Riddick? All those other guys not named Thurman were just fine and served their purpose. None of them were anything particularly special. Now instead of Thurman, we're talking about LeSean getting spelled by Karlos Williams, Mike Gillislee, Jonathan Williams and now Mike Tolbert. The only thing I see being detrimental to the offense is McCoy getting hurt. The offense clearly isn't the same when he's not on the field. I can't say I see any difference from the cadre of #2's that we've already seen backing him up.

?

So the Bills didn't want him to be the 13th highest paid player on the team? OK.

Your right a 5th round pick for an UDFA isn't bad at all. The chances of that guy being as productive as MG are slim to none.

I'll take a good, reliable player over comp picks any day. What's the obsession with comp picks? A 5th rounder on top of that?

I'm aware.

Hopefully JW can keep the trend going.

So you're saying keep him for 2.7 million, then let him leave in 2018?

DW has already moved on to a pro wrestling career

So you're saying keep him for 2.7 million, then let him leave in 2018?

FWIW, that's what I would have done if they weren't going to replace him. They should have kept MG if they weren't going to draft someone to fill that role in the mid rounds (like Kareem Hunt). I would have used MG this year and then taken his replacement next year otherwise.

The running game has been elite. If you look at their yards per carry it ranked with any team in the last 15 years (in fact it may have been the highest). That wasn't the area that they should have fooled with. Letting MG walk for that contract was understandable but not adequately replacing him isn't acceptable. This can still change if they sign DeAngelo Williams it won't be an issue (or Rashad Jennings). I think that there's a chance (albeit a small one) that Mark Ingram gets dumped. TJ Yeldon is another possibility.

FWIW, that's what I would have done if they weren't going to replace him. They should have kept MG if they weren't going to draft someone to fill that role in the mid rounds (like Kareem Hunt). I would have used MG this year and then taken his replacement next year otherwise.

The running game has been elite. If you look at their yards per carry it ranked with any team in the last 15 years (in fact it may have been the highest). That wasn't the area that they should have fooled with. Letting MG walk for that contract was understandable but not adequately replacing him isn't acceptable. This can still change if they sign DeAngelo Williams it won't be an issue (or Rashad Jennings). I think that there's a chance (albeit a small one) that Mark Ingram gets dumped. TJ Yeldon is another possibility.

I don't remember what point in the year it was, but at one point our Yards Before Contact was higher than like all but 6 team's Yards per Carry. It was ridiculous.

I don't remember what point in the year it was, but at one point our Yards Before Contact was higher than like all but 6 team's Yards per Carry. It was ridiculous.

I posted it late in the season and it was the highest yards per carry since 2000 (and that's as far back as I could find the stats). I don't know if that was after the year or sometime in the last few weeks. We need to understand that. The running game wasn't "pretty good." It was as good as just about any running game in decades.

I posted it late in the season and it was the highest yards per carry since 2000 (and that's as far back as I could find the stats). I don't know if that was after the year or sometime in the last few weeks. We need to understand that. The running game wasn't "pretty good." It was as good as just about any running game in decades.

Here's what I was talking about. Credit Jeff Ratcliffe

C60NHUYWgAED4BL.jpg