Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

6 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I had to laugh when they tied it with 30 seconds remaining...same when we lost in OT. At least it didn't have to come down to a shootout.

Image result for tank

Aw man, I live for the Lehner shootout moment! He literally didn't stop ONE shootout shot attempt last season. Not. One. But he's 1 for 2 this year, so he's trending upward. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah, especially with Lehner in net... it's an automatic loss, just more embarrassing than losing in OT (when Lehner fails to make a single save). 

The Sens fall in the standings has been quite surprising after their surprising run last year. I thought things were finally coming together for Ottawa last year. 

Who knows, they could rebound quickly next year though with some savvy moves by Dorian (not holding my breath on that one...). 

I empathize with Sens fans. Melnyk reminds me of the days of ultra cheap Sabres ownership, back when they were owned by the NHL and then Tom Golisano. 

They were so cheap that they only had a bare bones scouting department, and scouted players by video tape. 

Trading Karlsson would be such a bummer. Especially over money. 

Thats a damn hard trade to win. I'm sure you'll get a ton for him if he's traded. But I don't see an equal piece coming back, unless Dorian's able to find a 1 for 1 type hockey trade (which is doubtful IMO). He's sooo good. Hopefully the owner just ponies up. 

Itll be interesting to see see what happens in Ottawa the next couple years. With Stone an RFA this year, and Karlsson, Duchene and Brassard all UFA after next year. 

Karlsson has had a horrible year and hasn’t looked like the same player since his last injury. Not sure what’s up with him? He has lost some speed and had been a turnover machine in the games I have watched (many)

Game Preview: 2/17/18 vs. Los Angeles

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Thursday, February 15
Buffalo 2 at Ottawa 3 (OT)
Goals: Wilson, Rodrigues
Goalie: Lehner (33 saves/36 shots)
PP: 0/2; PK: 4/4; Shots: Ottawa 36 – Buffalo 25

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 202)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 15 games
Jake McCabe (thumb, Feb. 8; injured reserve) – 5 games
Jack Eichel (high-ankle sprain, Feb. 11) – 3 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/11: Recalled F Nicholas Baptiste from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Jake McCabe on IR

UPCOMING GAMES
Monday, Feb. 19: Washington at Buffalo, 3 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 22: Buffalo at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 24: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 25: Boston at Buffalo, 5 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 28: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.

TODAY’S GAME
KINGS at SABRES
  • This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Kings this season.
  • Last meeting: Los Angeles defeated Buffalo 4-2 in Los Angeles on Oct. 14, 2017
  • The Sabres are 5-5-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Kings; 9-1-0 at home
  • This is the 123rd game all-time between Buffalo and Los Angeles; Buffalo has a 59-44-19 series record.
  • The Sabres are 35-16-9 at home against the Kings all-time.

18 hours ago, thebug said:

Karlsson has had a horrible year and hasn’t looked like the same player since his last injury. Not sure what’s up with him? He has lost some speed and had been a turnover machine in the games I have watched (many)

I agree. He has t looked like the same player since that injury. 

I am confident that he will bounce back though. He's too good not to. 

He didn't even start skating again until this past September, and it hasn't even been a year since he had the surgery (where I believe they removed part of his ankle bone). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I agree. He has t looked like the same player since that injury. 

I am confident that he will bounce back though. He's too good not to. 

He didn't even start skating again until this past September, and it hasn't even been a year since he had the surgery (where I believe they removed part of his ankle bone). 

Yeah Ottawa is in a tough spot here. I doubt they are going to pay him what he’s looking for, but his trade value has to be less than they were expecting. They will be pushing the “bounce back next year” sales pitch no doubt. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ahh I am so sick of Robin Lehner!

2 absolutely awful goals let in by him so far today. 

That 1st goal should have never went in. It was a bad angle shot that he let eight in between his legs.

Then that 2nd goal, he WAY overplays the puck, which is becoming a consistent thing for him. He's been overplaying pucks all season and letting in goals because of it.

3rd goal is questionable. I feel like Lehner should have made the stop but it wasn't nearly as soft a goal as his first 2. 

And... as I'm typing this he lets in a 4th goal, and another I'd call questionable and on the soft side. 

Yikes.

The entire team team is playing like crap though. This is by no means all on Lehner. The players look disinterested and lazy. But it also has to be demoralizing to see your goaltender letting in so many soft stupid goals... still, that's no excuse. They've been playing like crap the entire game. 

Overall, Lehner seems to be trending in the wrong direction. He's been worse this year in a number of areas. I could honestly see the Sabres not even bothering to tender him an RFA offer after this season. Just to tender him an offer it'll be over $4 million (I want to say about $4.5M). I'd hate to see him just walk away for nothing, especially after giving up a 1st (what an awful trade by Murray!). But I can't imagine he has much trade value. Maybe a late round pick?

May just be best off keeping him for next year and letting him and Ullmark battle for the starter. 

It it does make me wonder about Andrew Allen (goaltending coach) though. You'd think he'd be hammering on Lehner about his positioning. Maybe he is...? 

I remember a few years back when I was on BBMB and I was telling Sabres fans to curb their enthusiasm about their team being an eyelash away from being a contender with all the young talent they had. I said don't put the cart before the horse and be patient because you are doing the youth movement and bringing in young talent doesn't automatically mean that they will be contenders gong forward.

Well, fast forward to 2018 and the Sabres look like a bigger mess then when I was having the cart before the horse argument with Sabres fans.

I am not trying to gloat, AT ALL, I was just asking Sabres fans to be cautious because their are no guarantees in the NHL as it is by far the most difficult sport to rebuild in.

Get the right people in there to run your organization and things will move forward.

From an outside view, the Sabres look like a mess. Let's hope it changers for you guys. You guys are one of the most loyal fan bases in the NHL and you deserve a good hockey team.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 60 on 2/19 vs. WSH @ 3 PM ET

Imagine playing one night in TB with a 7pm start and then the very next night play in Raleigh with a 5pm start time.

i fully understand that teams have to play back to backs, but I have a real problem with the NHL to allow home teams to get away with a start time less than 24 hours apart for the visiting team, no matter who the visiting team is. Even the Rangers, lol.

it basically means your goalie has to steal the   latter game for the tired team and KK did that by some miracle.

im just venting, lol.

Game Preview: 2/19/18 vs. Washington

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Saturday, February 17
Los Angeles 4 at Buffalo 2
Goals: Scandella, Ristolainen
Goalie: Lehner (26 saves/30 shots)/Johnson (6 saves/6 shots)
PP: 0/2; PK: 2/2; Shots: Los Angeles 36 – Buffalo 35

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 205)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 16 games
Jake McCabe (thumb, Feb. 8; injured reserve) – 6 games
Jack Eichel (high-ankle sprain, Feb. 11) – 4 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
N/A

UPCOMING GAMES
Thursday, Feb. 22: Buffalo at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 24: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 25: Boston at Buffalo, 5 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 28: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 2: Buffalo at Florida, 7:30 p.m.

TODAY’S GAME
CAPITALS at SABRES
  • This is the second of three meetings between the Sabres and Capitals this season.
  • Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Washington 3-1 in Buffalo on Nov. 7, 2017
  • Next meeting: Saturday, Feb. 24 in Washington
  • The Sabres are 3-5-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Capitals; 5-2-3 at home.
  • This is the 157th game all-time between Buffalo and Washington; Buffalo has an 88-48-20 series record.
  • The Sabres are 47-22-9 at home against the Capitals all-time.

On 2/18/2018 at 4:27 AM, plenzmd1 said:

well, the good news is I made money on my Caps tickets!

How did you manage to do that?  I am pondering taking the drive downtown and seeing if I can pick up a cheap pair for my son and I.  But there is no way I will pay anywhere close to full price for this team...

41 minutes ago, ricojes said:

How did you manage to do that?  I am pondering taking the drive downtown and seeing if I can pick up a cheap pair for my son and I.  But there is no way I will pay anywhere close to full price for this team...

I had tickets for the Caps/Sabres game in DC. BTW, i don't know that going downtown Buffalo is the way to go to get cheapies anymore. So many people just dont even go to the game anymore, internet may be your best bet.

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I had tickets for the Caps/Sabres game in DC. BTW, i don't know that going downtown Buffalo is the way to go to get cheapies anymore. So many people just dont even go to the game anymore, internet may be your best bet.

This article got me thinking about trying that route:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/16/inside-the-sabres-empty-seats-mean-empty-pockets-for-ticket-brokers/

Tickets are available online for as little as $6. On the streets, they're often worth less than that.

Plus I can find a 100 level under $60 for this game.

24 minutes ago, ricojes said:

This article got me thinking about trying that route:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/16/inside-the-sabres-empty-seats-mean-empty-pockets-for-ticket-brokers/

Tickets are available online for as little as $6. On the streets, they're often worth less than that.

Plus I can find a 100 level under $60 for this game.

Loved the line in that article..the cheap guys who come down to buy for $10..thats me! I still scalp outside, getting harder though with less and less hard tickets..I never trust the PDF printouts.