Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

So basically we gave up Tyler Myers, Joel Armia, Drew Stafford, Brendan Lemieux and a 2015 1st (which was a crazy deep draft) for a 2nd, a 4th, Bogosian's horrible contract and a meh prospect - Danny O'Regan, a 2012 5th round draft pick. 

Yuck. 

I hate Tim Murray. He set us back YEARS. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

I can't believe Ryan Hartman returns a 1st and Kane doesn't. He has 8 goals in 57 games this year... 

Or Rick Nash at this point in his career. He has some known locker rooms concerns too (party boy, can be difficult to get along with etc). Kane  He's 33, has a pretty bad playoff track record where he's been invisible for large stretches. 

Plus he has just about an $8M cap hit. And Kane has had more goals and points than Nash the last 3 seasons. 

Or even Stasny, who also is getting old and has a huge cap hit, returns a 1st. But he has a much better reputation around the league. 

Damn it I hate being a Sabres fan sometimes. 

So Botterill puts out there he is looking for 4 pieces to try and drive some action? Think that's what is killing our buzz for this trade, for months we have been hearing 4 pieces, then the Nash/Stasny trades..

we just have to accept Kane's rep as a room killer..both places he has played have been toxic rooms

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I need to have @JohnC tell me again why I was nuts to be screaming from the top of the mount starting in December of 16 why we needed to trade Kane last year. Just kidding John, i know you came around, just too late LOL!

I'm lurking so don't think that you can scream at me without a response. The failure of the team isn't because Kane hasn't played well, although he is currently struggling. The person who should be at the center of your whipping is the former GM. There was a lot of deals and  miscalculations that happened during his tenure that when you added them up didn't mount to much. The roster is full of mish mash and little coherency. The roster in general that Murray assembled was slow and lacked scorers. Now under the new GM it seems that we are starting all over again. The cruel hard truth is that a few years ago we were in a better position than the Maple Leafs. They had a smart plan in how they wanted to build the roster. We failed and they succeeded. 

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

So Botterill puts out there he is looking for 4 pieces to try and drive some action? Think that's what is killing our buzz for this trade, for months we have been hearing 4 pieces, then the Nash/Stasny trades..

we just have to accept Kane's rep as a room killer..both places he has played have been toxic rooms

I don't believe that Kane Is a room killer. He had a history of being a distraction but he has been a responsible citizen, at least recently. To be brutally frank the heart of the problem is that this team lacks talent. It's simply not good enough. The problem has little to do with personalities as it does its inadequate talent level. 

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Nah, what kills the buzz of this trade is the conditional 1st. 

Every time the Sabres have has contrition son a pick it never worked out for us. We always ended up with the lesser pick, which is why I assume that San Jose's pick will be a 2nd.

The other things that kill the buzz of this trade are that the pick are 2 and 3 years away.

And the prospect is pretty "Meh". A former 5th round pick from 2012 who hasn't Beane able to stick in the NHL. He has performed in the AHL though. So maybe he works out for us? I sure hope so.

I would be much more ok with this trade if it was a guaranteed 1st. 

Just now, JohnC said:

I'm lurking so don't think that you can scream at me without a response.

:P

Man, we had fun arguing this last year..

So for my "told ya so" :unsure: 4mer and i were bailing on this team and GMTM  early in 2016. 

Oh man, cant wait to see all empty blue seats next year

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

A

I figured as much. 

Kane's reputation must really be crappy around the NHL. 

Man, I can't tell you how much I hate the job Tim Murray did as our GM. I mean, really hate with a passion. He just burned through our assets like a drunken sailor.

Think about just the Kane trade. Kane was a guy that EVERYONE in the NHL KNEW Winnipeg has to trade. His teammates basically rebelled against him. Then Kane quits on the team, and decides to have that season ending elective shoulder surgery (which he did need, but he just didn't need it right then). And mind you All of this happens during Winnipeg's very first run to the playoffs since moving to Winnipeg! 

Yet Tim Murray still gives up the damn farm for him. Talk about horrible negotiator. "Hey I know you absolutely have to get rid of Kane, but here take all our assets anyway!" lol. 

I remember Jim Benning was quoted after Kane was traded to Buffalo. He said they were in on the trade until they seen what Buffalo was offering. He said, in a very shocked voice, something along the lines of how they weren't willing to give (anywhere near) the caliber of players Buffalo offered. I think his exact words were something like "we made a very fair offer but when we heard the caliber of players Buffalo was offering, we had no interest in doing that". 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

:P

Man, we had fun arguing this last year..

So for my "told ya so" :unsure: 4mer and i were bailing on this team and GMTM  early in 2016. 

Oh man, cant wait to see all empty blue seats next year

To compound all their problems the worst thing about the Sabres is that they are insufferably boring. There is little passion and heart. The paying and viewing customer have tuned them out. They deserve to be ignored. I bought the Hockey Ice Center package. It was a waste of money.  

Edited by JohnC

12 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

And the prospect is pretty "Meh". A former 5th round pick from 2012 who hasn't Beane able to stick in the NHL. He has performed in the AHL though. So maybe he works out for us? I sure hope so.

Not being able to stick in the league so far isn't necessarily a bad thing though.  Let's remember that we are talking about a 2nd year pro who has spent that entire time in a strong organization.  He's going to get his shot here.  They've essentially given themselves another guy at the status of Baptiste/Bailey, another coin flip at being a productive NHLer.  Until this team is able to replenish the Murray purge of any futures, these are the type of guy they're going to have to take their shot on.  You pair that with what is supposed to be a better system of player development, and hopefully those 50/50 coin flips start to turn to 60/40 instead.  Sadly, that's the best we can hope in the foreseeable future.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

To compound all their problems the worst thing about the Sabres is that they are insufferably boring. There is little passion and heart. The paying and viewing customer has tuned them out. They deserve to be ignored. I bought the Hockey Ice Center package. It was a waste of money.  

I used to look to you for the silver lining and good times are just around the corner!  :lol: