Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

Hope we don't have racist fans that chant: "Basketball! Basketball!"

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Vegas is a major exception.

Let's see how they are this time next year.

They do have a ex-#1 pick at goalie.  Everything in hockey revolves around protecting that 4x6 opening.  Get hot anf nobody can beat you!

The game has always been flawed that way.  Teach, train a sumo wrestler to skate or 300 pound lineman early... Nothing will get past then when they plug up the net.  Just pick up rebounds, deflections.  

Got a brickwall in net, nobody will beat you.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They do have a ex-#1 pick at goalie.  Everything in hockey revolves around protecting that 4x6 opening.  Get hot anf nobody can beat you!

The game has always been flawed that way.  Teach, train a sumo wrestler to skate or 300 pound lineman early... Nothing will get past then when they plug up the net.  Just pick up rebounds, deflections.  

Sorry but cross crease passes beat fat goalies. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 61 on 2/22 vs. DET @ 7:30 PM ET
10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But a marginal defense can beat the cross-crease passes.

I should have added... A fat goalie that is halfway athletic... Like 350 pound lineman.

**** you are almost describing Lehner when he was in Ottawa. :lol:

I would actually like to see someone give it a try (not my Leafs)

I just think there's too much speed and skill. If he stands up, his pads are only so wide. If he goes down, there's no way someone that size will be able to move quick enough. IMO

but like I said, I wouldn't mind seeing someone give it a try. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But a marginal defense can beat the cross-crease passes.

I should have added... A fat goalie that is halfway athletic... Like 350 pound lineman.

As a slight aside...

Kind of half seriously, half goofing around, I have often pondered the following.

Let's say there are 10 seconds left in regulation and a team is ahead by 1 goal.  There is a lot on the line like a playoff berth, a playoff win, a playoff series win, or maybe even a Cup win.

The team that is behind calls timeout to rest their big guns and draw up a play to try and score the tying goal to get it to OT.  The draw is coming up in the ahead team's defensive zone/losing team's offensive zone.  

Rather than roll the dice and play a traditional defense (which most certainly can allow for a goal against if something goes wrong), why doesn't the ahead team literally stack players in the goal mouth forming a wall like in soccer on a direct free kick, with the goalie in front of them, and then maybe leaving 1 player as a "rover" to skate around and try to disrupt passes or block a shot.

I.E., there are enough players on a hockey team to literally seal the goal mouth if they do it correctly.  At a minimum, you could assign 2 of your biggest players to the job of literally positioning themselves on the ice in such a way that the bottom 2 feet of the net, from post to post, is literally blocked.  Like nothing is going to go through their wall.  The goalie is in front and at if nothing else, you have completely eliminated the chance of allowing a goal along or near the ice, which is where most goals are scored from. 

Option 2: one player gets the left post, one player gets the right post.  They are on their knees or in any position that is best to literally seal off the post by a good margin.  Let's say you reduce the net mouth from 6' to 3'.  The net the goalie has to protect has just been reduced by 50%, at the expense of only 2 skaters out of 5.  

It's the same as 2 defenders taking the goal posts in soccer on a corner kick.  

Why hasn't anyone ever done this sort of thing?  I don't think it is illegal, per se.

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1

Apparently Ottawa wants a team that trades for Karlsson wants said team to take on Bobby Ryan's albatross of a contract.

Which means that Ottawa's return in the trade will be very minimal.

Ottawa fans will be out for blood if they trade their best player for basically nothing.

Not too many teams can take on Ryan's worthless contract. 

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

Apparently Ottawa wants a team that trades for Karlsson wants said team to take on Bobby Ryan's albatross of a contract.

Which means that Ottawa's return in the trade will be very minimal.

Ottawa fans will be out for blood if they trade their best player for basically nothing.

Not too many teams can take on Ryan's worthless contract. 

Fans may not be as mad if it means it frees cap space that they can effectively use to build the team back up quicker.

Plus they will still be getting something for Karlsson, just not as much as they may have been able to get on his own

Its also possible they could throw a third team into the mix, that can take his contract on if the team that wants Karlsson bad enough doesn't have cap space for Ryan.

Doubt they could now, but Buffalo could have been one of those teams to be able to take Ryan off their hands in that deal........

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

As a slight aside...

Kind of half seriously, half goofing around, I have often pondered the following.

Let's say there are 10 seconds left in regulation and a team is ahead by 1 goal.  There is a lot on the line like a playoff berth, a playoff win, a playoff series win, or maybe even a Cup win.

The team that is behind calls timeout to rest their big guns and draw up a play to try and score the tying goal to get it to OT.  The draw is coming up in the ahead team's defensive zone/losing team's offensive zone.  

Rather than roll the dice and play a traditional defense (which most certainly can allow for a goal against if something goes wrong), why doesn't the ahead team literally stack players in the goal mouth forming a wall like in soccer on a direct free kick, with the goalie in front of them, and then maybe leaving 1 player as a "rover" to skate around and try to disrupt passes or block a shot.

I.E., there are enough players on a hockey team to literally seal the goal mouth if they do it correctly.  At a minimum, you could assign 2 of your biggest players to the job of literally positioning themselves on the ice in such a way that the bottom 2 feet of the net, from post to post, is literally blocked.  Like nothing is going to go through their wall.  The goalie is in front and at if nothing else, you have completely eliminated the chance of allowing a goal along or near the ice, which is where most goals are scored from. 

Option 2: one player gets the left post, one player gets the right post.  They are on their knees or in any position that is best to literally seal off the post by a good margin.  Let's say you reduce the net mouth from 6' to 3'.  The net the goalie has to protect has just been reduced by 50%, at the expense of only 2 skaters out of 5.  

It's the same as 2 defenders taking the goal posts in soccer on a corner kick.  

Why hasn't anyone ever done this sort of thing?  I don't think it is illegal, per se.

Thoughts?

I can't see a team willing to risk a player being injured in that situation to block the shot. Your basically asking a couple players to just stand there and take a direct shot off of their body. Some players are willing to block shots, but they have the ability to use certain parts of their body to block them. Standing there would not give them the option and most likely the shot will be some form of actual shot (slap or wrist) which more then likely is going to hurt.....

I just see it going bad and a guy taking a point blank shot off a body part that doesn't have the equipment to protect a shot like that.

2-21: PHIL HOUSLEY ON WGR (12:27)

@WGR550
#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - when Jake McCabe took that one shot against Anaheim, we knew he was going to have some sort of procedure done on his upper-body. We thought it was just the right time to get something done. #Sabres

Housley - I thought Jake McCabe played really consistent despite a slow start to the season. He logged a lot of minutes for us in a secondary role. He was pretty solid for us this year. #Sabres

Housley - I think McCabe can make some good puck decisions coming out of his own end. He contributed as much as he could, and it was a tough break for him with the injury. It will give other guys opportunities. #Sabres

Housley - Nelson has handled the tough competition real well. I like his stick detail and his gap control. He's gaining some really valuable experience with what it's like to play in this league day-in and day-out. Happy with his development at this point. #Sabres

Housley - we want to reward guys who are working hard and doing the right things in games and practice. The guys who are playing hard in Rochester will get rewarded. #Sabres

Housley - it's important that the guys have success down in Rochester. Chris Taylor has done a great job with the team and the success they've had. They have a winning culture, and the group is really tight. #Sabres #Amerks

Housley - Lehner is ready to go tomorrow night. He had some bumps and bruises, just wanted to settle things down a bit with his hip. #Sabres

Housley - still a week-to-week thing with Eichel. Still in the same situation he was in a week ago, don't want to rush anything. #Sabres

Housley - I like the attitude Reinhart has in the battles right now. He's really good around the net, especially when the powerplay started to click again after Christmas. #Sabres

Game Preview: 2/22/18 at Detroit

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Monday, February 19
Washington 3 at Buffalo 2
Goals: Okposo, Kane
Goalie: Johnson (27 saves/29 shots); 1 ENG
PP: 0/3; PK: 1/1; Shots: Buffalo 34 – Washington 30

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 209)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 17 games
Jake McCabe (shoulder, Feb. 8; injured reserve) – 7 games
Jack Eichel (high-ankle sprain, Feb. 11; injured reserve) – 5 games
Robin Lehner (lower body, Feb. 19) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/19: Recalled G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Jack Eichel on IR; Assigned Ullmark to Rochester

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Feb. 24: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 25: Boston at Buffalo, 5 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 28: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 2: Buffalo at Florida, 7:30 p.m.
Monday, March 5: Toronto at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at RED WINGS
  • This is the third of four meetings between the Sabres and Red Wings this season.
  • Last meeting: Detroit defeated Buffalo 3-1 in Detroit on Nov. 17
  • Next meeting: Thursday, March 29 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Red Wings; 3-6-1 on the road
  • This is the 136th game all-time between Buffalo and Detroit; Buffalo has a 59-58-18 series record
  • The Sabres are 22-39-8 on the road against the Red Wings all-time.
Morning Skate: February 22, 2018 from 11:15 AM – 12:15 PM at Little Caesars Arena

On 19/02/2018 at 12:59 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sorry. Couldn't be further from the truth. If it were, all teams would just sign fat guys to play goal. An NHL shooter can put a puck through a keyhole. So unless you can find a human who is 4x6, they will still get scored on.

27 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Saw a funny joke on Twitter today, sorry if old, but first time i have seen it

How are the Sabres like the Titanic?

They both look great till they hit the ice, and both currently reside at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Sad but true. This team is so bad it has to be completely blown up again. They are so bad, Botterill can't even trade half of them. Guys trip over their own skates. NHL players tripping over their own skates!! It's unbelievable. Like there are invisible gremlins messing with them.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sorry. Couldn't be further from the truth. If it were, all teams would just sign fat guys to play goal. An NHL shooter can put a puck through a keyhole. So unless you can find a human who is 4x6, they will still get scored on.

I disagree. Skating is the key.  You can find a human that is 4x6... Or very well close to that size, but nobody will put time into training to skate... Which has to be done early, and that person will probably not become huge.

The thing is to get scored on LESS.  Look at Tom Barrasso High School... Size matters w/hockey goalies.

Question?  Why did they standardize goalie equipment, pads?  No "oversized" equipment any more.

Not disputing NHLers can put puck through keyhole... BUT NOT over and over again 100% of time.  There is still uncertainty. 

Even if puck catches fat guy, just by a hair, it sends the puck elsewhere. Like how defense trys to block shots now.  You see modern players throwing body at shots... You'd never see that in the old days as much.

It's all a %age game. Bigger the better. But gotta get them trained.

The game is identical to basketball but on "horizontal level".  Soccer too,  ALL are constrained (and tragically flawed IMO) by the size of the playing surface.  Why don't yoy see "goaltending" in basketball?  Now take soccer, same thing... BUT... Goal area is huge.  It's only a matter of time before human size catches up with hockey and goaltending.  Yet, the ability to skate keeps things in check.

Make ice bigger, goal area bigger.  Watch the fun!

:D Sorry for deep tangential meanderings...:P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Projected Lineup

Evander Kane - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 23 Sam Reinhart
28 Zemgus Girgensons - 71 Evan Rodrigues - 21 Kyle Okposo
20 Scott Wilson - 22 Johan Larsson - 29 Jason Pominville
67 Benoit Pouliot - 10 Jacob Josefson - 13 Nicholas Baptiste

82 Nathan Beaulieu - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
Marco Scandella - 8 Casey Nelson
4 Josh Gorges - 93 Victor Antipin

40 Robin Lehner
31 Chad Johnson