Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I disagree. Skating is the key.  You can find a human that is 4x6... Or very well close to that size, but nobody will put time into training to skate... Which has to be done early, and that person will probably not become huge.

The thing is to get scored on LESS.  Look at Tom Barrasso High School... Size matters w/hockey goalies.

Question?  Why did they standardize goalie equipment, pads?  No "oversized" equipment any more.

Not disputing NHLers can put puck through keyhole... BUT NOT over and over again 100% of time.  There is still uncertainty. 

Even if puck catches fat guy, just by a hair, it sends the puck elsewhere. Like how defense trys to block shots now.  You see modern players throwing body at shots... You'd never see that in the old days as much.

It's all a %age game. Bigger the better. But gotta get them trained.

The game is identical to basketball but on "horizontal level".  Soccer too,  ALL are constrained (and tragically flawed IMO) by the size of the playing surface.  Why don't yoy see "goaltending" in basketball?  Now take soccer, same thing... BUT... Goal area is huge.  It's only a matter of time before human size catches up with hockey and goaltending.  Yet, the ability to skate keeps things in check.

Make ice bigger, goal area bigger.  Watch the fun!

:D Sorry for deep tangential meanderings...:P

FYI, I've played goal all my life, and I'm 6' 7'!  I still get lit up.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

FYI, I've played goal all my life, and I'm 6' 7'!  I still get lit up.

:lol: We found a big fat guy, he just couldn't get out of bed! lol 

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I disagree. Skating is the key.  You can find a human that is 4x6... Or very well close to that size, but nobody will put time into training to skate... Which has to be done early, and that person will probably not become huge.

The thing is to get scored on LESS.  Look at Tom Barrasso High School... Size matters w/hockey goalies.

Question?  Why did they standardize goalie equipment, pads?  No "oversized" equipment any more.

Not disputing NHLers can put puck through keyhole... BUT NOT over and over again 100% of time.  There is still uncertainty. 

Even if puck catches fat guy, just by a hair, it sends the puck elsewhere. Like how defense trys to block shots now.  You see modern players throwing body at shots... You'd never see that in the old days as much.

It's all a %age game. Bigger the better. But gotta get them trained.

The game is identical to basketball but on "horizontal level".  Soccer too,  ALL are constrained (and tragically flawed IMO) by the size of the playing surface.  Why don't yoy see "goaltending" in basketball?  Now take soccer, same thing... BUT... Goal area is huge.  It's only a matter of time before human size catches up with hockey and goaltending.  Yet, the ability to skate keeps things in check.

Make ice bigger, goal area bigger.  Watch the fun!

:D Sorry for deep tangential meanderings...:P

Hitting the :beer:eh! 

• Like (+1) 1

Has anyone ever noticed that when your standard NHL hockey game these days (regular season) finally goes to OT and it turns into 3 on 3, the game is about 10,000 times more entertaining, fun, exciting, and unpredictable than the actual game played in regulation time?

Or how the ice suddenly opens up, the talented guys can easily show their talent, and there is just not enough traffic on the ice to clog the talent up?

There also aren't enough defenders on the ice, really, so playing competent, sound hockey is absolutely critical.  There's no safety net in 3 on 3.  You screw up and it means someone is wide open or there is a break away.

It makes me wonder why the regular rules call for 5 on 5.

Even 4 on 4 would be more fun, as much as it would make the heads of hockey traditionalists explode.

NHL hockey has become really boring most of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

I was about to say "Oh no... a shootout with a Robin Lehner in net" but Scandella wins it with 0.2 seconds left!   Wow! 

Nice. Although the Sabres should have never let Detroit tie the game with 1 min. left in the first place. I thought Lehneronce again way overplayed the puck, which factored into that tying goal (as did the defense not being in position). 

Hey, I'll take the win! 

10 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Has anyone ever noticed that when your standard NHL hockey game these days (regular season) finally goes to OT and it turns into 3 on 3, the game is about 10,000 times more entertaining, fun, exciting, and unpredictable than the actual game played in regulation time?

Or how the ice suddenly opens up, the talented guys can easily show their talent, and there is just not enough traffic on the ice to clog the talent up?

There also aren't enough defenders on the ice, really, so playing competent, sound hockey is absolutely critical.  There's no safety net in 3 on 3.  You screw up and it means someone is wide open or there is a break away.

Even 4 on 4 would be more fun, as much as it would make the heads of hockey traditionalists explode.

I understand your point, but it's really all about the officiating.  If there was a concerted effort by the league to emphasize talent and rules were enforced, you'd soon see the sort of entertaining hockey we all crave -- like the way it was right after the lockout.

And they also need to get rid of the stupid offsides challenges.  Worst decision ever made regarding replay, since these minuscule "violations" rarely have anything to do with the resulting play and it's a huge buzzkill. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 62 on 2/24 vs. WSH @ 7 PM ET
17 hours ago, thebug said:

:lol: We found a big fat guy, he just couldn't get out of bed! lol 

Hitting the :beer:eh! 

I played a game last night and got rung up for 9 goals. We play in an open division, 18+. So we get hot shots mixed with old farts. We played a team of snipers that just showed me that at 59 my reflexes are like that sloth playing Pictionary.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I do think the game could turn to 4 on 4 in the distant future.  It would take a nuclear labor war to get there though.  You're cutting a good number of jobs if you shrink the roster size.

12 hours ago, eball said:

I understand your point, but it's really all about the officiating.  If there was a concerted effort by the league to emphasize talent and rules were enforced, you'd soon see the sort of entertaining hockey we all crave -- like the way it was right after the lockout.

And they also need to get rid of the stupid offsides challenges.  Worst decision ever made regarding replay, since these minuscule "violations" rarely have anything to do with the resulting play and it's a huge buzzkill. 

I still contend that the NHL is run by Neanderthals 

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I played a game last night and got rung up for 9 goals. We play in an open division, 18+. So we get hot shots mixed with old farts. We played a team of snipers that just showed me that at 59 my reflexes are like that sloth playing Pictionary.

My buddy stills plays in a high end hockey league. A lot of these kids played juniors or Division 1 hockey

he needed a goalie and I was his last option... I have never been a hockey goalie before but he figured I was athletic enough to give it a shot...

worst day of my life... I was blasted by frozen hockey pucks for the better part of 2 hours...

i had a huge welt on my head from getting clocked in the head with a hard ass slap shot 

and my team sucked

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

My buddy stills plays in a high end hockey league. A lot of these kids played juniors or Division 1 hockey

he needed a goalie and I was his last option... I have never been a hockey goalie before but he figured I was athletic enough to give it a shot...

worst day of my life... I was blasted by frozen hockey pucks for the better part of 2 hours...

i had a huge welt on my head from getting clocked in the head with a hard ass slap shot 

and my team sucked

Yeaaaaah, there's a little more to goaltending than just being there. Never mind the reflexes you need, you have to be able to read the play and anticipate what happens next. But still, no matter what people think, no goalie can stop every shot. It's simply not possible. But the smart ones know how to position themselves, especially when screened, to maximize their chances of getting hit with the puck.

Also, welts are unavoidable. Somehow someone always manages to hit the unprotected seam in your padding.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeaaaaah, there's a little more to goaltending then just being there. Never mind the reflexes you need, you have to be able to read the play and anticipate what happens next. But still, no matter what people think, no goalie can stop every shot. It's simply not possible. But the smart ones know how to position themselves, especially when screened, to maximize their chances of getting hot with the puck.

I hated hockey for the first time in my life that night

i had nightmares ... lol 

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, bbb said:

I still contend that the NHL is run by Neanderthals 

Absolutely.  They're just idiots.  Germany versus the KHL in the Gold Medal game is the NHL's worst nightmare.  USA Hockey and Hockey Canada are going to be all over the Lawn Gnome and the owners to get their **** together.

• Like (+1) 1

Game Preview: 2/24/18 at Washington

Game Notes NHL Stats

LAST GAME
Thursday, February 22
Buffalo 3 at Detroit 2 (OT)
Goals: Ristolainen, Kane, Scandella
Goalie: Lehner (35 saves/37 shots)
PP: 1/3; PK: 2/3; Shots: Detroit 37 – Buffalo 30

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 212)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 18 games
Jake McCabe (shoulder, Feb. 8; injured reserve) – 8 games
Jack Eichel (high-ankle sprain, Feb. 11; injured reserve) – 6 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/19: Recalled G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Jack Eichel on IR; Assigned Ullmark to Rochester

UPCOMING GAMES
Sunday, Feb. 25: Boston at Buffalo, 5 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 28: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 2: Buffalo at Florida, 7:30 p.m.
Monday, March 5: Toronto at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday, March 7: Calgary at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at CAPITALS
  • This is the third and final meeting between the Sabres and Capitals this season.
  • Last meeting: Washington defeated Buffalo 3-2 in Buffalo on Feb. 19
  • The Sabres are 2-6-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Capitals; 3-6-1 on the road.
  • This is the 158th game all-time between Buffalo and Washington; Buffalo has an 88-49-20 series record.
  • The Sabres are 41-26-11 on the road against the Capitals all-time.
Phil Housley Media Availability: February 24, 2018 at 4:30 PM from Capital One Arena

On 2018-02-23 at 9:24 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Impressive at 59 you are still strapping on the pads! 

44 minutes ago, thebug said:

Impressive at 59 you are still strapping on the pads! 

I have to. If I didn't play hockey I wouldn't get any exercise. Luckily my 50-something teammates aren't too concerned with winning. The game results are usual forgotten by the time the first beer is opened. :beer:

• Like (+1) 1