Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

12 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Sadly, I am already focusing on the 2018 draft and hoping for Dahlin.  What a mess.

Well, i think the Amerks are starting to play well from what I heard/read. So hopefully they resist the temptation to bring any of those guys up, including Guhle and Ulmark

.Let them build chemistry and confidence like the 04/05 Amerks, trade what we can at the deadline, pick 4th(its a buffalo team after all) , catch a break with Mittelstadt and Asplund being NHL ready and productive..and have fun like the Leafs did last year with a surprise playoff run.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/29/lights-camera-action-sabres-hope-to-provide-some-as-winter-classic-filming-begins/

The camera crew crew started following the Sabres today (for "road to the winter classic"). 

I'm excited to see it when it starts airing. It'll be very interesting to see behind the scenes. Although I'm a bit worried what it'll look like if they go on another prolonged losing streak. It'd be amazing if they could go on a tear and start winning some games just in time for this filming... yeah yeah I know I know. I'm a dreamer. lol 

Edited by BillsFan4

20 hours ago, snafu said:

4 points in the past 10 games.

17 Goals for.

31 Goals Against.

Did Tim Murray take an immense pile of capital and turn it into the worst team in the history of hockey?

I don't think he quite met that standard but he missed it by thismuch.  I think he did enough to prove himself the worst GM in NHL history.  Uncle Bwyan must be proud.  

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Did Tim Murray take an immense pile of capital and turn it into the worst team in the history of hockey?

I don't think he quite met that standard but he missed it by thismuch.  I think he did enough to prove himself the worst GM in NHL history.  Uncle Bwyan must be proud.  

well, looks at this paragraph from Bill Hoppe. They are actually at a point pace lower than the tank years. It is almost hard to believe. Time to bring back Nolan and no system and just try harder? Least those guys did not have to think too much.

At 6-15-4, the Sabres have 16 points, the Eastern Conference’s lowest total. Right now, they’re on pace for 52 points. When they finished last overall in 2013-14 and 2014-15, they earn 51 points and 54 points, respectively.

Yes, the 2017-18 Sabres could be worse than those awful teams.

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, looks at this paragraph from Bill Hoppe. They are actually at a point pace lower than the tank years. It is almost hard to believe. Time to bring back Nolan and no system and just try harder? Least those guys did not have to think too much.

At 6-15-4, the Sabres have 16 points, the Eastern Conference’s lowest total. Right now, they’re on pace for 52 points. When they finished last overall in 2013-14 and 2014-15, they earn 51 points and 54 points, respectively.

Yes, the 2017-18 Sabres could be worse than those awful teams.

It's too early to be down on Housley and the golfer.  Murray left them with this steaming pile.

10 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It's too early to be down on Housley and the golfer.  Murray left them with this steaming pile.

Oh, I agree, and even if i didn't, I cant see Pegs moving on from  either  Coach/GM combo for at least 3 years.

But hard to fathom same amount of points with Jack/Kane/ROR/Sam/Okposo on the roster now

I am finally going to have to get rid of my Sabres season tickets after 12 years. I used to be able to sell enough to pay for the following year, or no more than a couple hundred. The last two years I can't give tickets away. You not only have to fix the team, you have to get the fan base to care again. 

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I am finally going to have to get rid of my Sabres season tickets after 12 years. I used to be able to sell enough to pay for the following year, or no more than a couple hundred. The last two years I can't give tickets away. You not only have to fix the team, you have to get the fan base to care again. 

I am guessing a ton of folks will, and if the ticket brokers abandon them, watch out! You could see some 8K-10K people games early next year.

Just looked at tickets for the Ottawa game 12/12..yikes $6! Dead center, 20 rows up $56! Yowzer

33 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am guessing a ton of folks will, and if the ticket brokers abandon them, watch out! You could see some 8K-10K people games early next year.

Just looked at tickets for the Ottawa game 12/12..yikes $6! Dead center, 20 rows up $56! Yowzer

The resale market has always been a buffer against ticket demand fluctuations for teams. But it's also a canary in the coal mine. If season ticket holders bail, I don't think you'll even see 8-10K crowds. Crowds are decent now because tickets are a bargain.

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Pretty big trade here.

Hmm, will let the true experts like Shrader and Darin weigh in here, but damn I like Vatanen.Henrique I like as well, cany say I know much about Blandisi. I am guessing we just have zero assets the Ducks wanted outside of Jack. Wonder if Kane was talked about, but they wanted a Centers, and centers only. Not sure about Henrique contract status, but pretty sure Sammi has at least two more years. Will take a gander now.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Great trade on the surface for NJ and it gives them a really solid right side of their D with Severson, Santini and Vatanen. 

We we shall see how it works out.

Yeah. Definitely looks like a great trade for NJ as of now. I'm a bit jealous as a Sabres fan. I think Vatanen would have been a nice fit with Housley.

They've made a few nice trades recently. 

Ive been quite impressed with what Ray Shero has done with that team in a pretty short amount of time. 

Lou is a legend, but it was definitely time for a change in NJ. Looks like they may have got the right guy... 

Edited by BillsFan4

29 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah. Definitely looks like a great trade for NJ as of now. I'm a bit jealous as a Sabres fan. I think Vatanen would have been a nice fit with Housley.

They've made a few nice trades recently. 

Ive been quite impressed with what Ray Shero has done with that team in a pretty short amount of time. 

Lou is a legend, but it was definitely time for a change in NJ. Looks like they may have got the right guy... 

As a Devils fan I will take Hall-Vatanen over Larsson and Henrique any day of the week, as most NHL fans would.

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sadly, go. We need the assets and he's not going to resign here.

I know the Devils like Kane Shero can pull off these kinds of moves............

so maybe the Devils and Sabres can do some business in the future.

If the Devils include McLeod in a package, it might entice the Sabres, as McLeod is ready to make the jump. That is part of the reason the Devils dealt Henrique.

We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

Saw an article that the TSN guys said Sabres are telling teams they would be willing to retain salary in a Kane trade. To me that's sounding like they know there's no hope this year and will use $$ to entice teams to give up some better assetts in deals

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

As a Devils fan I will take Hall-Vatanen over Larsson and Henrique any day of the week, as most NHL fans would.

I know the Devils like Kane Shero can pull off these kinds of moves............

so maybe the Devils and Sabres can do some business in the future.

If the Devils include McLeod in a package, it might entice the Sabres, as McLeod is ready to make the jump. That is part of the reason the Devils dealt Henrique.

We shall see.

I Saw someone suggest Kane to the Islanders with Ho-Sang and/or someone else coming back. With Snow someone who seems to easily get fleeced in deals, I would inquire. I would like to see Ho-Sang here, watched him a lot here in Niagara with the Ice Dogs as long as he has developed and doesn't go back to being lazy

26 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Stay or go?

For me, it all depends on what they could get in a trade. 

Im not interested in giving him up for a late 1st in a 2018 draft that isn't exactly considered deep. If they can get something worthwhile, like an A level prospect and a 1st, or a good defenseman (and maybe something else added in, depending on the defenseman) then I guess you have to consider it. 

But if he isnt willing to re-sign here (for a price we can afford), then you obviously have to take what you can get for him. 

Kane has said he is happy here and made it sound like he's interested in re-signing. So that's probably the route I'd go first. He is only 25 after all...

Plus It's very hard to justify everything Murray gave up for him if he only ends up being here 3 years and is traded for a late 1st... that would be some bad asset management (not that the blame would really be on Botterill for that). 

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sadly, go. We need the assets and he's not going to resign here.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

For me, it all depends on what they could get in a trade. 

Im not interested in giving him up for a late 1st in a 2018 draft that isn't exactly considered deep. If they can get something worthwhile, like an A level prospect and a 1st, or a good defenseman (and maybe something else added in, depending on the defenseman) then I guess you have to consider it. 

But if he isnt willing to re-sign here (for a price we can afford), then you obviously have to take what you can get for him. 

Kane has said he is happy here and made it sound like he's interested in re-signing. So that's probably the route I'd go first. He is only 25 after all...

Plus It's very hard to justify everything Murray gave up for him if he only ends up being here 3 years and is traded for a late 1st... that would be some bad asset management (not that the blame would really be on Botterill for that). 

He's a waste on the Sabres as currently constructed.  With him being 26 years old, it's probably best to maximize the return on him in a trade.

Sabres waive Tennyson. 

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/sabres-place-tennyson-waivers

This was probably the right defenseman to waive IMO. I kept calling him our new Mike Weber because he always seemed to be on the ice for goals scored against us. 

Plus, he's coming off an injury so the chances he makes it to Rochester are (probably) better. 

The other choice was probably Gorges, but I think there's a better chance that he may be able to return a pick at the deadline. 

Game Preview: 12/1/17 vs. PIT

LAST GAME
Tuesday, November 28
Tampa Bay 2 at Buffalo 0
Goals: N/A
Goalie: Lehner (24 saves/26 shots)
PP: 0/3; PK: 2/3; Shots: Buffalo 34 – Tampa Bay 26

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 124)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Zach Bogosian (lower body, Oct.5; injured reserve) – 25 games
Taylor Fedun (lower body, Nov. 17; injured reserve) – 7 games
Jacob Josefson (ankle, Nov. 28) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/24:
 Activated D Rasmus Ristolainen from IR; Assigned D Casey Nelsonto Rochester (AHL)
11/26: Placed F Seth Griffith on waivers
11/27: Assigned F Seth Griffith to Rochester (AHL)
11/30: Recalled G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL); Activated D Matt Tennyson; Placed Tennyson on waivers
12/1: Assigned G Linus Ullmark to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Dec. 2:
 Buffalo at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 5: Buffalo at Colorado, 9 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 8: Buffalo at Chicago, 8:30 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 10: Buffalo at St. Louis, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 12: Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
PENGUINS at SABRES

• This is the second of three meetings between the Sabres and Penguins this season.
  • Next meeting: Saturday, Dec. 2 in Pittsburgh
  • Last meeting: Pittsburgh defeated Buffalo 5-4 (OT) in Pittsburgh on Nov. 14
  • The Sabres are 1-7-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Penguins; 2-8-0 at home.
  • This is the 187th game all-time between Buffalo and Pittsburgh; Buffalo has a 65-78-43 series record.
  • The Sabres are 41-29-22 at home against the Penguins all-time.

"Legacy Coaches" are the worst.  How do you can them without hurting feelings?

Chicago was in this mess w/Savard, but Bowman (EDIT: was it Bowman or  Dale Tallon?) knew he had to nip it in the bud.  Yeah, I know they have Kane/Toews... But still, young talent is in BFLo.

What a trainwreck! 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Projected Lineup

9 Evander Kane - 15 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
17 Jordan Nolan - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 21 Kyle Okposo
67 Benoit Pouliot - 51 Kyle Criscuolo - 29 Jason Pominville
28 Zemgus Girgensons - 22 Johan Larsson - 26 Matt Moulson

6 Marco Scandella - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
19 Jake McCabe - 93 Victor Antipin
82 Nathan Beaulieu - 47 Zach Bogosian

40 Robin Lehner

Tennyson cleared waivers.

Rochester just got a bit stronger (and they were already looking pretty damn good).

Tennyson is a good top 4 d man in the AHL, and it'll be nice to have him around still as a #7/8 guy for Buffalo.

We may need him after the trade deadline (depending on who's shipped out). 

Word is the Devils and Sabres have talked about Kane, as Kane is a perfect fit for the up tempo game the Devils like to play.

Take it for what it's worth.

And I'm shocked how quickly Shero has been able to add quality young NHL veterans to his roster (Hall, Palmieri, Johansson, Vatanen, for example), without having to give up the farm on a terrible team.

My question to you guys is.............

What player(s) are the Sabres discussing in return????? Cause I really have no idea what the Sabres would want. I know the Devils interest in Kane is genuine, but I haven't a clue as to what the Sabres would want.

My guess would be Severson, McLeod and a pick. 

The Sabres would want a quality young defenseman in return and Severson would satisfy that on the Buffalo end. And with the acquisition of Vatanen, it might open up Severson to being dealt, but the Devils still might be very reluctant trade away a quality young Dman line Severson.

And McLeod is the Devils too prospect as we speak.

That's probably the parameters of any deal between NJ and Buffalo.

Again, what do you guys think?

52 minutes ago, bbb said:

I want Scott Stevens and Marty Brodeur. 

I want to not be stuck at home on a Friday night and watching this awful dreck of a hockey team.

This is pathetic. Poor Pegs, what does he do? I am starting to truly believe Housley is not the guy.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I want to not be stuck at home on a Friday night and watching this awful dreck of a hockey team.

This is pathetic. Poor Pegs, what does he do? I am starting to truly believe Housley is not the guy.

Poor Pegs? Maybe he should have stuck to drilling wells

He allowed the team to get to this point and continues to let them get worse. He signed off on the idea of "tanking"

Maybe he needs to turn around and tell the guys he has running things that they are not going to accept them sitting around and wait a few years to see if the prospects will amount to anything. They need to start showing results now

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Poor Pegs? Maybe he should have stuck to drilling wells

He allowed the team to get to this point and continues to let them get worse. He signed off on the idea of "tanking"

Maybe he needs to turn around and tell the guys he has running things that they are not going to accept them sitting around and wait a few years to see if the prospects will amount to anything. They need to start showing results now

Yep, tanking sure has the Leafs in trouble. It wasn't the tank, it is what was done with all the assets the tank brought.

And he has to wait for for the prospects. GMTM had two issues

1) Trading away too many prospects and assets in an effort to be instantly good and dealing for and signing vets

2) said vet signings and trades were made to make the Sabres "heavy" and tough to play to play against, in a league that now favors skill and speed.

Let everyone on the Amerks develop and build, this season is lost at the NHL level. Trade what you can and understand we have another rebuild on our hands. 

As I have said many a time, my sense is that Pegs is tired of all the movement in the coaching and GM ranks, and the current combos get at 3 years each,

• Like (+1) 1