HP Computer Says Toshiba on Screen?

Hi Guys... So Ms MIH bought a new lap top today a HP 15- au030wm. I'm setting this up for her and the and the screen says "Toshiba' in the lower right corner. I tried Googling why it would say that but found zippo. So I came to the experts, why?

Thanks Mike

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.gigenetcloud.com/archives/115-hp-and-toshiba-join-forces-on-cloud-computing/

I found that.

Not sure what year it is from?

Remember when Chevy collaborated w/Toyota. Wasn't the car called a Toylet. ;-)

Maybe Toshiba & HP aren't as close as many car makers but still collaborate?

Honda was rebranding Isuzu Rodeos as Honda Passports, Isuzu was GM's Japanese truck line.

Mazda shares with Ford I think Ford w/Nissan too.

Maybe Toshiba & HP collaborate? Software?

Hi Guys... So Ms MIH bought a new lap top today a HP 15- au030wm. I'm setting this up for her and the and the screen says "Toshiba' in the lower right corner. I tried Googling why it would say that but found zippo. So I came to the experts, why?

Thanks Mike

HP, Toshiba, and Dell share alot of common manufactured components.

Is this a brand new laptop or a refurbished, and where did you buy it from?

You may have gotten a board intended for delivery to Toshiba but ended up at HP or you have a refurb where somebody stuck a Toshiba board into an HP chassis

Shirl bought ours 12 years ago and it still says "gateway". You must have bought a chinese brand.

Howard you and Shirl are always like a mentor to me, you might be on to something.

HP, Toshiba, and Dell share alot of common manufactured components.

Is this a brand new laptop or a refurbished, and where did you buy it from?

You may have gotten a board intended for delivery to Toshiba but ended up at HP or you have a refurb where somebody stuck a Toshiba board into an HP chassis

Dev... She got it at Walmart today, so I'd assume new.

Howard you and Shirl are always like a mentor to me, you might be on to something.

Dev... She got it at Walmart today, so I'd assume new.

I wouldn't assume

i remember hearing years ago that with Walmart, especially with electronics, you may be buying a brand name item, but what your actually getting is a version of it made somewhere else that walmart paid to have the brand name put on.

I have heard that even with other items today, that you really have to research the product your buying even if it is the same brand, if your buying it from a different store. For example, I knew somone looking at buying a new grill last year who was saying that the brand had 2 different manufacturing facilities, one overseas that built and sold the product to chain stores, and one around here that manufactured and sold them at specialty stores. You would think your buying that brand name product at the chain store, but what your actually getting is a cheaper version of it with the brand logo slapped on it.

Could be what happened here, the place that manufactured it for Walmart slapped an HP logo their product that used Toshiba parts. could also be that this certain model uses Toshiba parts for it (not as likely) or that the manufacturer had versions of the software it loaded on that was intended for Toshiba models so it shows up (more likely). I wouldn't be shocked to find out if you took it back to Walmart that it was a return/refurb model that someone got mixed into the brand new ones after being fixed.

I've heard the same thing about John Deere mowers. The ones you buy at Home Depot/Lowe's is not the same quality as the ones you'd get from a John Deere dealer.

Hershey chocolate too I heard. They make Walmart batches specifically only for Walmart, which I assume may not be the same quality as their higher priced stuff.

I heard this from a co-worker that said he knew somebody that worked in the business.

I wonder how true it is?

Lot of companies do that. Cheaper parts go into the products like faucets so they can sell them cheaper

All about the brand!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

UPDATE... Ms MIH spent two hours on the phone with HP last night as they looked at it remotely. i know at one point they were messing with the bio's when I looked over her shoulder (hockey was more important). At any rate the Toshiba name was gone when they were done and they were going to call her today when she got back to Bath. Frankly I would have taken it back but she wasn't going to unless she had problems with it.

Thanks everybody for your input! We really appreciate it. :thumbsup::worthy::beer:

I believe you should take it back anyways. There are so many issues with laptops you want all the protection you can get.

Toshiba ships laptops with a known flaw in power connector for the issue usually occurs post warranty period hence they look at is as a sales feature not a problem.