Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

What a difference patience and discipline can make in a coaching philosophy. McD knows players will fall as the off season goes ​on. Chance favors the prepared mind. He will weed out the players from the pretenders. Separate those who want to be here as compared to those looking for a payday. Hodges/ Macklin/ Barnidge would be such a trifecta if he can pull it off. This approach is such a refreshing change.

As opposed to Pro Bowlers Zach Brown and Lorenzo Alexander later in the process....this isn't new!! This is where the Bills excel. Landing Maclin will continue a trend.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only problem with crediting the staff with patience and discipline is that they moved waaaaaaay too quickly to sign fringe NFL players like Ducasse and Holmes.

Neither signed for a lot of money.

Both are getting more than $1M per, and both will cost additional cap space to cut prior to Week 1.

Bad moves IMO; trading up to get Zay and Dawkins made those two moves even worse as well.

I liked the trade up for Zay. They desperately need a #2 and there was a drop after him IMO.

I liked the trade up for Zay. They desperately need a #2 and there was a drop after him IMO.

I actually like it as well--I just meant the trade-ups it made overpaying for Holmes and Ducasse (and at the expense of a 3rd round comp pick) look worse IMO

Both are getting more than $1M per, and both will cost additional cap space to cut prior to Week 1.

Bad moves IMO; trading up to get Zay and Dawkins made those two moves even worse as well.

They are not bad moves if they start and excel......once you draft players it doesnt matter where they were drafted (in my opinion)

I actually like it as well--I just meant the trade-ups it made overpaying for Holmes and Ducasse (and at the expense of a 3rd round comp pick) look worse IMO

but you dont know at that time what is gonna be availale later.....I mean just look at the Maclin thing....did anyone expect that release?

They were signed prior to the draft. The Bills had no idea who would be available when they drafted.

As for their contracts, if they stick, they're bargains. If they get cut, like say before week 10, they're still not bad and at least they got something out of them.

That I agree with. I even KIND of understood Holmes. I have no idea what they were doing with Ducasse.

Here is the thing though...at the time we signed them they were not bad moves, they were depth players we needed and signings with upside. You can't base your FA signings on what you think you might get in the draft. You sign players and then when the draft comes around you draft based on whats available.

So the two trade ups to get guys like Zay don't make the other signings bad just because they saw a chance in the draft to get coveted rookies too.

I would rather have too many good or solid WR's then not enough like we have had the last 2 years.

Here is the thing though...at the time we signed them they were not bad moves, they were depth players we needed and signings with upside. You can't base your FA signings on what you think you might get in the draft. You sign players and then when the draft comes around you draft based on whats available.

So the two trade ups to get guys like Zay don't make the other signings bad just because they saw a chance in the draft to get coveted rookies too.

I would rather have too many good or solid WR's then not enough like we have had the last 2 years.

Except Ducasse is trash and we could've easily found other trash depth that didn't cost a third.

They are not bad moves if they start and excel......once you draft players it doesnt matter where they were drafted (in my opinion)

but you dont know at that time what is gonna be availale later.....I mean just look at the Maclin thing....did anyone expect that release?

I don't believe that Ducasse belongs in anyone's lineup, nor do I think that he's one of their 9 best OLmen right now. If he ends up playing a meaningful role on the OL for this team, then the unit is in trouble.

The point isn't that they should've known what they were going to do come draft day, but rather that they shouldn't have been in a rush to sign competition for the WR4 and OL9 spots when there seems to always be depth players available in June.

Ducasse was an awful signing regardless.

And see above for my overarching point