Are we undervaluing Shady's potential impact?

With Dennison using more outside run plays that rely on the runner cutting back and finding a hole, as well as more pass attempt's going to McCoy, he will have the opportunity to put up MVP numbers and drive us to the playoffs.

Look what Dennison did with Arian Foster and while he's / was a great RB, Shady is on another level.

I think McCoy isn't mentioned enough or given enough credit for what he brings to the table as the engine to our offense. Just imagine how much better he could have been last year with a consistent D ,let alone a play caller that is a perfect match for Shady.

He's easily a top 10 skills position player and if Watkins can play to his full potential,we suddenly have 2 elite,rare talents running around in that offense. Not to mention an anticipated improved defense will also make Taylor look much much better.

I know he's respected on here but I still feel Shady is underappreciated a bit and doesn't get brought up enough when talking about Buffalo's potential future success

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you what the experts are missing: Shady's impact on the passing game. Folks like Jeremy White keep throwing out arbitrary numbers that Tyrod and Watkins have to hit to "show him something" but he never considers the impact of a strong run game decreasing the need for pass plays. I would be perfectly happy with less than 200 yds passing per game if we are rushing for 250 and winning.

I'll tell you what the experts are missing: Shady's impact on the passing game. Folks like Jeremy White keep throwing out arbitrary numbers that Tyrod and Watkins have to hit to "show him something" but he never considers the impact of a strong run game decreasing the need for pass plays. I would be perfectly happy with less than 200 yds passing per game if we are rushing for 250 and winning.

But that's not how it's done in the NFL these days. That's what I'm told, at least.

Fair point here. If you're running all over a team and leading there's no reason to start slinging the ball all over the place.

And as per the topic here, I am optimistic that Shady could have a big season. I believe this OL is better and more experienced in a ton of different blocking schemes than the OLs in Houston and especially the OLs in Denver he worked with over the last two seasons. Shady can be a very dynamic player in this offense.

I read a story that said Shady could lead the league in yards

Sports line maybe

Bucky Brooks and another dude from NFL.com both predicted Shady to be the rushing champ for 2017.

The problem is that IF the Bills need to pass to keep pace, running isn't the answer.

More effective passing game

I don't care if we rush and pass for 50 yards combined as long as we're winning.

I wouldn't say that we undervalue McCoy at all. There might be some that don't see his full potential within this new offense. Whether or not his role leads to winning the rushing title is debatable, and is probably wishful thinking, given his age and unknown quality of defense, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did, or all-purpose yards at least (provided the defense is improved, and the offense isn't playing catch-up too often).

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Exactly.

I wouldn't be happy with under 200 yards because of the increase in passes to the RB's, specifically Shady who has fantastic hands and ability to gain huge chunks of yards after the catch.

Think about how underutilized he was in the pass game the last 2 years, it's a huge strength of his and Roman/Lynn did not utilize him nearly enough, those swing passes can gain confidence in Taylor and start some momentum in the passing game

But that's not how it's done in the NFL these days. That's what I'm told, at least.

That's what I was thinking.

If a team had a back as talented as Shady back in the 70s, that offense would be getting a lot of respect. But's it's not the 70s anymore.

Rules have changed and offenses have evolved and it's a 'passing league' now.

But yards are still yards and they still lead to touchdowns. If Shady stays healthy, I think he'll have a big year.

So 4000 rushing yards and 3000 passing? That's an interesting approach

The problem is that IF the Bills need to pass to keep pace, running isn't the answer.

More effective passing game

I agree, and what better way to get a rythm in the passing game going than to dump it off to Shady? He was criminally underutilized​ in designed pass plays outta the backfield with Buffalo.

Brady,Rodgers,Matty Ice,Big Ben etc etc all have a high number of attempt's to their RB's, Taylor didn't have that with Roman/Lynn

Dennison Will have an array of short passes to the RB, and with McCoy being one of those RB's, he could really put up some monster numbers!

You don't have to be told. It's really not how it's done.

He says he'll be happy w/200 a game passing if we put up 250 per game running and win. 250 running a game? We're by far the best in the game and we're not even in the same county, much less the same ballpark. Nobody except us manages 150 a game and we put up 164.4, which is terrific.

250 a game running ... Jeez.

And even with that terrific running attack, we won seven games. There was plenty of room left over for more productivity from the pass game.

And while a great run game does potentially mean fewer pass plays, it also makes it easier for the pass game when they do decide to throw the ball. Fewer passes is a good reason for smaller gross numbers, but it doesn't give any good reason for lesser efficiency.

Edited by Thurman#1

I agree, and what better way to get a rythm in the passing game going than to dump it off to Shady? He was criminally underutilized​ in designed pass plays outta the backfield with Buffalo.

Brady,Rodgers,Matty Ice,Big Ben etc etc all have a high number of attempt's to their RB's, Taylor didn't have that with Roman/Lynn

Dennison Will have an array of short passes to the RB, and with McCoy being one of those RB's, he could really put up some monster numbers!

Not entirely true.

Tyrod to the RBs 89/ 459 ... 19.4%

Rodgers to the RBs 104/615 ... 16.9%

Ryan 114/530 ... 21.5%

Brady 130/ 546 ... 23.8%

Roethlis 126/ 590 ... 26.4%

Though Brady and Roethlisberger threw a bit larger percentages to RBs than Tyrod, he was almost exactly on a par with Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan. Nobody was that far out in front, really, though Brady threw significantly larger percentages than any of the others.

In any case, I expect Shady to have a good year but for them to limit his touches at his age.

Edited by Thurman#1