Comp picks! Come get your Comp Picks!!

Yeah, but you couldn't even handle Country Cletus at last year's opener...how you gonna handle Rodent?

seriously?

honestly, i'm not sure i remember? i knew we went to the ground and i think he ripped his pants or something. was i drinking already?

i miss that cleti fella. he's a good influence on my alcohol consumption.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foresight when it comes to resource allocation and draft picks was never Whaley's forte, and it's a big reason he's unemployed. I'm really hoping Beane has a sounder strategy when it comes to these things.

This was a major problem with Whaley. You simply cannot forfeit draft picks for depth signings. I mentioned this exact same situation about two weeks ago here, I'm guessing Rodak reads these forums because he basically re-wrote my post. We have the possibility of getting 7 picks in the first 4 rounds, which has great potential to be a franchise changing draft.

There is another way to gain some help that Rodak didn't mention. If Blanton, E.J., or Hunter play enough non-special teams snaps, they can become a CFA and count toward our losses. This would mean cutting 3 of our FA's would get us 2 more picks. It's not that far fetched -- Barry Church is gone in Dallas and the SS position is in flux, Blanton could win the starting job possibly.

These offseason moves really highlight the ineptitude of the Whaley years. This is also an early litmus test for our new front office. We'll know in the next few months if they know how to build through the draft as Beane claimed.

This was a major problem with Whaley. You simply cannot forfeit draft picks for depth signings. I mentioned this exact same situation about two weeks ago here, I'm guessing Rodak reads these forums because he basically re-wrote my post. We have the possibility of getting 7 picks in the first 4 rounds, which has great potential to be a franchise changing draft.

There is another way to gain some help that Rodak didn't mention. If Blanton, E.J., or Hunter play enough non-special teams snaps, they can become a CFA and count toward our losses. This would mean cutting 3 of our FA's would get us 2 more picks. It's not that far fetched -- Barry Church is gone in Dallas and the SS position is in flux, Blanton could win the starting job possibly.

These offseason moves really highlight the ineptitude of the Whaley years. This is also an early litmus test for our new front office. We'll know in the next few months if they know how to build through the draft as Beane claimed.

he has done this numerous times. rodhack is a hack. he has for years this is why he is rodhack.

i kid you not, i laid in to him several times on the espn site until i was banned from commenting. about an hour later i got a random call on my cell phone, which is very easy to find on the internet - "are you trying to get me fired? seriously. what did i ever do to you?!" it was a hidden number, they never replied. they called me an a-hole and hung up. it was likely coincidence because i do a lot of evil stuff, but it was always odd to me.

seriously?

honestly, i'm not sure i remember? i knew we went to the ground and i think he ripped his pants or something. was i drinking already?

i miss that cleti fella. he's a good influence on my alcohol consumption.

It was a good match. I watched while drinking Cletus' beer. Then the maple tree root got in the way.

I value the 3rd & 4th round pick we'd receive for losing Gilmore and Woods way more than I value a kicker, a FB, a backup DE and a backup interior OL. The fact that the Bills didn't think this one through is very concerning. For a team going no where, give me the 2 mid round draft picks all day over a handful of backups.

Having 2 #1's, 2 #3's & 2 #4's, along with our own #2 would put us in great shape for the '18 draft, including plenty of ammo to trade up and get a QB, if there's one there this brass loves (Josh Rosen).

Please Bills do the smart thing for once and secure the 3rd and 4th comp. picks......those 2 picks are WAY more valuable than a handful of backups that are very replaceable.

BTW, why the hell did the Bills give Steven Hauschka a $3M contract & $4.6M in cash in Year 1. Talk about bad contracts, there's another one to add to the list. No other kicker in the league will make as much in cash as Steven Hauschka will this year. That's a pathetic overpay, not to mention it could cost us a 3rd round comp. pick. All around inept on the Bills part.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cash/kicker/

So we could end up with

1st Round

1st Round (Chiefs)

2nd Round

3rd Round

3rd Round Compensation

4th Round

4th Round Compensation

5th Round

6th Round

7th Round (could lose to the Packers)

Possibly 5 picks in the top 110

Whaaaat? Okaaaay! Yeah!

Don't care about comp picks.. Looks flashy is people's mock drafts but that's about it.

The Packers, Ravens, and Patriots strongly disagree with you

I think I'll wait till 2018 to worry about 2018. :wallbash:

The teams outlined above tend to shape their entire offseason approach around acquiring compensatory picks.

There's something to be said for having a plan beyond today

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/24/compensatory-picks-are-a-reward-for-smart-teams/amp/

Don't care about comp picks.. Looks flashy is people's mock drafts but that's about it.

you have to look at it another way imo....would you rather have a 3rd round comp pick, who could be a potential starter, for 4 years at a bargain price, or a FA depth signing on a 1 year deal that might walk after that one year?....furthermore, in an upcoming year where we are likely going to need ammo to trade up for a QB, every potential pick becomes even more important...remember the browns have two 1st rounders and three 2nd rounders.

Edited by JaCrispy

you have to look at it another way....would you rather have a 3rd round comp pick, who could be a potential starter, for 4 years at a bargain price, or a FA depth signing on a 1 year deal that might walk after that one year....furthermore, in an upcoming year where we are likely going to need ammo to trade up for a QB, every potential pick becomes even more important...remember the browns have two 1st rounders and three 2nd rounders.

...and you can deal comp picks now

you have to look at it another way imo....would you rather have a 3rd round comp pick, who could be a potential starter, for 4 years at a bargain price, or a FA depth signing on a 1 year deal that might walk after that one year?....furthermore, in an upcoming year where we are likely going to need ammo to trade up for a QB, every potential pick becomes even more important...remember the browns have two 1st rounders and three 2nd rounders.

Ultimately it's the difference between just signing guys you like and actually having a cohesive (short, medium and long term) strategy.

If we miss out on a 3rd due to a very interchangeable march signing that would be hard to replace or a costly cap hit if cut in august... it would be frustrating. For instance you would NEVER trade a 3 for poyer or hauschka -- but in final cuts that might actually end up being the debate because of the way we organized our offseason

Edited by NoSaint

Ultimately it's the difference between just signing guys you like and actually having a cohesive (short, medium and long term) strategy.

If we miss out on a 3rd due to a very interchangeable may signing that would be hard to replace or a costly cap hit if cut in august... it would be frustrating. For instance you would NEVER trade a 3 for poyer or hauschka -- but in final cuts that might actually end up being the debate because of the way we organized our offseason

excellent way of looking at it...makes it easier to see why the "smarter" teams favor comp picks