Polian told by Bills exec Dareus must 'Ship up or Ship out"

Serious question: is there any evidence of Dareus not giving full effort when he's not injured or suspended? Seems to me he goes all out when he's in there; the key isn't his attitude it's staying healthy and out of trouble.

The key is to use him properly. He thrived under Schwartz and Petine. Rex wanted players to adjust to his scheme while a smart coach would have a philosophy underpinned by the notion of putting the player in the best position to succeed. In my mind Dareus is a top five or better interior lineman. Under Rex his production didn't match his talent level because he wasn't wisely used.

Dareus plays a position where stats don't always reveal how well a player plays or how important he is to the defense. Dareus's biggest talent when he is playing well is applying pressure up the middle. Not many interior lineman can consistently do that. He can when the right defense is called. Using him as a nose tackle is wasting his special talents.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! Off-season tough talk!!!

Dareus will be a monster this year and be one of the best DTs in the NFL like he was when he signed his contract.

It's so funny how some people talk out of both sides of their mouth. If the Bills let MD walk after being an all pro DT, they are cheap.

Small but crucial point, oldmanfan: there are no ex-Marines. Proper term: Former Marine.

Multiple Pro Bowls and a Hall of Fame career....in Buffalo? With Young Nathaniel as O-coordinator followed by the Wrecks mess and the Bills QBs? It's called a pipe dream because it is only found in the opium pipe.

Thanks for correcting me on the Marines. Utmost respect for anyone who served.

Serious question: is there any evidence of Dareus not giving full effort when he's not injured or suspended? Seems to me he goes all out when he's in there; the key isn't his attitude it's staying healthy and out of trouble.

I am with you here. It's gotta be off-field stuff. Certainly the staff couldn't have been happy with his hammy pull last year. He was obviously out drinking with Shady.

He definitely wasn't, but it had as much to do with him playing to his responsibility as anything else.

He was asked to be mostly a space-eater and he did a good job at that. Just not the kind of job you tend to notice while watching a game.

I think you can keep the racism stuff to yourself.

If I've read those salary numbers, he becomes way easier to trade / cut after the season. Makes a lot of sense they are going this route with him. Huge fan of his, but its hard to argue that the time to buckle down for him is now.

I was waiting for someone to touch that ignorant statement.

@ChrisTrapasso

In 2014, as a one-gapping 3T, Dareus was a Top 5 DT in football. He'll re-assume that role in McDermott's defense this season

There are some things (like this) that do give me hope for this next season

We have lost some pieces on defense and we are relying on some young players to take those spots....but the MAIN cogs of the defense seem to be going back to defensive schemes that they excelled at. If Marcel gets back on track this offense will look instantly better.

We found a way to improve our linebacking core LATE IN THE GAME....which was very nice.

On offense...the blocking schemes that the OL excelled at last year really have not changed.....the running game may still be very good.

I still think one of the biggest factors will be the change out of the coaching staff......hoping to be prepared to start the season.....less stupid penalties on both sides of the ball. Stop beating ourselves and force other teams to beat us

There are some things (like this) that do give me hope for this next season

We have lost some pieces on defense and we are relying on some young players to take those spots....but the MAIN cogs of the defense seem to be going back to defensive schemes that they excelled at. If Marcel gets back on track this offense will look instantly better.

We found a way to improve our linebacking core LATE IN THE GAME....which was very nice.

On offense...the blocking schemes that the OL excelled at last year really have not changed.....the running game may still be very good.

I still think one of the biggest factors will be the change out of the coaching staff......hoping to be prepared to start the season.....less stupid penalties on both sides of the ball. Stop beating ourselves and force other teams to beat us

Looking forward to seeing the tandem of Dareus and Kyle setting the tone up front in the new scheme.

always fun talking to friends who are Vice Principals at high schools, responsible for discipline.

Me: How'd your day go, friend?

Veep:Oh great...... 40 losers tromped through my office promising to stop using drugs and start getting up before 11am and coming to class and start studying and make it work out.

Me: how many of the 40 are going to do ANY of their promises.

Veep: I think a few over the last 10 years have turned it around, that makes it about a .01% success rate.