NFL Roster Cuts Will Now Be from 90 to 53

I wish they would ease rules regarding OTAs especially for players with less than 3 years experience. With Vets it is 1 thing but for young players who need the additional reps it just slows their development. It should remain non contact but teams should be afforded extra time with these players,

I'd think there will still be quite a few early cuts. Both "courtesy" cuts to vets so they have better opportunity to land elsewhere as well as culling the #s so that more coaching & playing time can be devoted to likely future contributors.

I anticipate an absolute madhouse scramble at cutdown day with this change. Teams will likely go deeper than 53 to be able to quickly scoop up quality Vets from teams w/ Cap issues and players teams have had their eye on perhaps since college days, to quickly snap up these players. Also will make for an incredible amount of suddenly available players that may drive down their otherwise higher $$ demands, just to be quickly re-employed.

The fourth preseason games across the league will have almost all players who will likely be gone after the cut to 53.

Rendering it even more worthless than previously..

I think that could be beneficial to teams that are looking at other teams cuts to make THEIR rosters.....

We are obviously still looking for a few spots

and we may be able to more quickly sign our projected Taxi-squaders

I anticipate an absolute madhouse scramble at cutdown day with this change. Teams will likely go deeper than 53 to be able to quickly scoop up quality Vets from teams w/ Cap issues and players teams have had their eye on perhaps since college days, to quickly snap up these players. Also will make for an incredible amount of suddenly available players that may drive down their otherwise higher $$ demands, just to be quickly re-employed.

Rendering it even more worthless than previously..

and we may be able to more quickly sign our projected Taxi-squaders

except that if you're looking for an addition to your team than you'll get that as a scouting game.

What exactly is the purpose of this change? I cannot think of one thing good about it for the fans, or the players for that matter. Does NFL really care that much about wasting the time of guys who are clearly not going to make the final roster? Or wasting their coaching staffs time working with those same players who are clearly not going to be employed a week or two later? Am I missing something here? I'm open to hear from others of you.

What exactly is the purpose of this change? I cannot think of one thing good about it for the fans, or the players for that matter. Does NFL really care that much about wasting the time of guys who are clearly not going to make the final roster? Or wasting their coaching staffs time working with those same players who are clearly not going to be employed a week or two later? Am I missing something here? I'm open to hear from others of you.

I agree with you. The only benefit is that no starter and most of the second team will not have to take a snap and risk injury I the final preseason game. I suppose the other benefit is there is one more chance for the really marginal guys to make a play or two in the final preseason game. Otherwise I think this hurts guys chances of being picked up on another teams roster.

But I think it addresses the reality that training camp and pre-season is really only to evaluate the last 10 guys on the roster. Every one of us can pick 40-45 of the players that will be on the team.