Joe B: What Brandon Beane wants in a QB

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The time he holds the ball for me is the biggest thing that has to change and it is the thing to watch for early in the season.

He killed our linemen as many times as they killed him last year. Standing back there for 5 and 6 seconds at times with a ball not out and no decision made.

In order to throw from the pocket and have success doing so, there has to be one to throw from. The Bills in the last several seasons have not done all that well protecting their QBs. They seem to have gotten run blocking mastered, but pass plays remain adventurous undertakings for our QBs because of the OL's inconsistency.

I dont know what games you are looking at the the pass protection has been excellent. Tyrod just holds onto the ball far too long. On order to hold on the ball far to long you have to have that time and the Billls OL has given him that protection in most games in 2016

http://www.nfl.com/stats/ngs/timetothrow

Edited by Protocal69

In order to throw from the pocket and have success doing so, there has to be one to throw from. The Bills in the last several seasons have not done all that well protecting their QBs. They seem to have gotten run blocking mastered, but pass plays remain adventurous undertakings for our QBs because of the OL's inconsistency.

......a QB continually scrambling makes the OL's job more difficult not knowing where he is "this time" as well as holding blocks longer......if Dennison designs the offense around TT and at the same time makes his scrambling ability a selective option versus a constant necessity, pocket consistency should take shape.........

Damn.

People are really trying hard to throw Tyrod under the bus.

My point exactly. A lot of times last season, rushers were in on Taylor before he could even set up to pass, and he had to run. That's on the pass blockers not on the QB. Moreover, a good pass blocking OL will give their QB more than 2-3 seconds to throw with some regularity. That's what was missing last season. If Taylor didn't run, he'd have been sacked for big losses a lot more.

The Bills' pass blocking has been mediocre at best, and too often putrid, going back to at least the days of Drew Bledsoe. They've improved significantly talent-wise as evidenced by their recent excellence at run blocking. Now, they've got to improve some on the pass blocking while maintaining their run blocking acumen. They're significantly better than they were but they need to get better.

A more effective receiving corps would help, too. Taylor needs to get better as well, but no QB -- not Tom Brady, not Peyton Manning, not Aaron Rodgers -- can do well without protection and targets. If you put Brady, Manning or Rodgers under center on one of those god-awful talent-less Jauron teams, they would have done only marginally better than Losman or Edwards.

......a QB continually scrambling makes the OL's job more difficult not knowing where he is "this time" as well as holding blocks longer......if Dennison designs the offense around TT and at the same time makes his scrambling ability a selective option versus a constant necessity, pocket consistency should take shape.........

I like the sound of this...

My point exactly. A lot of times last season, rushers were in on Taylor before he could even set up to pass, and he had to run. That's on the pass blockers not on the QB. Moreover, a good pass blocking OL will give their QB more than 2-3 seconds to throw with some regularity. That's what was missing last season. If Taylor didn't run, he'd have been sacked for big losses a lot more.

You have selective memory. Yes there were plays where the pass rushers blew past Mills in particular and were on Tyrod before he set his feet, but the stats are there above. He had the longest average time to throw of 50 qualifying Quarterbacks last year - the only one averaging over 3 seconds per dropback. He bailed clean pockets plenty too.... it wasn't just him scrambling from pressure (which we all agree he does excellently).

Taylor's elusiveness is an asset and a liability... He makes his own plays, but sometimes that means the OL have 0 idea where he is and block accordingly. He may get tons of rushing yards for a QB, but a QB that read the defense and reacted accordingly, wouldn't need to be rushing the ball nearly as often. If he can learn after all this time to be a pocket QB first, his legs will become even more dangerous and the sky's the limit... but until that time, his upside is limited.

I'm glad the era of trying to get an "athletic" QB ended when Whaley left. The reports were probably true, Whaley was in love with Watson and McD wanted nothing to do with him. We saw how that power struggle ended.

No, Whaley wanted Mahomes.

McD passed on Mahomes and Watson , maybe even going on Panthers scouting reports when there.

Hope he and Beane can find the right QB , could even be Peterman.

I like the sound of this...

The Old guy is kinda wise perhaps?

You have selective memory. Yes there were plays where the pass rushers blew past Mills in particular and were on Tyrod before he set his feet, but the stats are there above. He had the longest average time to throw of 50 qualifying Quarterbacks last year - the only one averaging over 3 seconds per dropback. He bailed clean pockets plenty too.... it wasn't just him scrambling from pressure (which we all agree he does excellently).

maybe he is recalling 2015.

I'm glad the era of trying to get an "athletic" QB ended when Whaley left. The reports were probably true, Whaley was in love with Watson and McD wanted nothing to do with him. We saw how that power struggle ended.

I did not read this anywhere. please link me. sorry i missed it.

No, Whaley wanted Mahomes.

...so then it is safe to assume Sheriff Andy hires Doug as his new QB Coach......your gems are woefully wondrous yet amusing......next up: your expose' on how Whaley's adamant and unwavering support for Mahomes led to his termination.......popcorn time.....

...so then it is safe to assume Sheriff Andy hires Doug as his new QB Coach......your gems are woefully wondrous yet amusing......next up: your expose' on how Whaley's adamant and unwavering support for Mahomes led to his termination.......popcorn time.....

is there a charge for extra butter?

No, Whaley was done once McDermott was hired. Sean demanded full control to take the job. When Sean says the Pegulas fired Whaley and the scouts after the draft and they decided that morning he is lying.