Buffalo area summer concerts...

ricojes

Thought maybe we could use this thread to post concert announcements in and around the Buffalo area, Canalside concerts were announced yesterday ($5 admission)...

• Thursday, June 15 – Gary Clark Jr.
  • Thursday, June 22 – Sheila E.
  • Friday, June 30 – The Buffalo Philharmonic and Strictly Hip
  • Thursday, July 6 – The Tea Party
  • Thursday, July 13 – Ghostface Killah with Slick Rick
  • Thursday, July 20 – Eric Paslay
  • Thursday, July 27 – Theory of a Deadman
  • Thursday, August 3 – Dark Star Orchestra
  • Thursday, August 10 – Robert Randolph and the Family Band
  • Thursday, August 17 – USS

You guys are crazy. DSO is a very solid band. Yeah, they're not the GD, but they're very sound and entertaining musicians. For a $5 show...that's pretty solid value.

Snobs.

Yes I am a snob. Very true. OTOH, if it works for you, more power to you. Seriously, enjoy.

You guys are crazy. DSO is a very solid band. Yeah, they're not the GD, but they're very sound and entertaining musicians. For a $5 show...that's pretty solid value.

Snobs.

$5? Are they charging for Thursday shows now?

What are your thoughts on Dead and Company

I actually think it's their the best incarnation post Jerry. Does room for growth exist? Of course. Some hate Mayer but I don't. I think he comes correct. Seeing Mickey and Billy rip it up is worth the $40 alone.

Art Park Schedule (more to be announced)

Jun 6 - ZZ Top ($17 advance, $22 Day of Show)
jun 14 - Tears for Fears ($17, $22)
jun 20 - Canadian hall of fame: randy bachman and 54•40 ($12,$17)
jun 27 - Brian Setzer's rockabilly riot! with special guest Big Bad Voodoo Daddy ($12,$17)
jul 11 - Canadian hall of fame: Loverboy and Kim Mitchell ($12,$17)
Jul 18 - Brit Floyd ($12,$17)
Jul 25 - Blondie & Garbage: The Rage and Rapture Tour - ($12,$17)
aug 1 - George Thorogood & the Destroyers and 38 Special - ($12,$17)
aug 8 - Gov't Mule with special guest Galactic - ($12,$17)
aug 15 - Lynyrd Skynyrd - ($17, $22)
Aug 22 - Jethro Tull By Ian Anderson - ($12,$17)

$5? Are they charging for Thursday shows now?

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/17/canalside-concerts-free-no-more/

What are your thoughts on Dead and Company

Someone posted on FB that John Mayer was God with regard to his work with D&C. My reply was if he was really a God re his musical ability wouldn't he be raking in the dough playing his own music vs playing Jerry's riffs?

jun 20 - Canadian hall of fame: randy bachman and 54•40 ($12,$17)

jun 27 - Brian Setzer's rockabilly riot! with special guest Big Bad Voodoo Daddy ($12,$17)

Better lineup. Favorite is Gov't Mule with Galactic.

Someone posted on FB that John Mayer was God with regard to his work with D&C. My reply was if he was really a God re his musical ability wouldn't he be raking in the dough playing his own music vs playing Jerry's riffs?

I wouldn't call John Mayer a god, but he is an excellent guitarist. His own music is a bit too "pop" for me, but I was really impressed with him when I saw D&C. He and Oteil were playing off of each other all through the show. Their chemistry with the rest of the band was great. And he's not playing Jerry's riffs - Bob Weir specifically said that they didn't want an imitator; they wanted someone who knew how to jam. That's why they picked Trey Anastasio for Fare Thee Well, and why they went with Mayer for D&C.

I wouldn't call John Mayer a god, but he is an excellent guitarist. His own music is a bit too "pop" for me, but I was really impressed with him when I saw D&C. He and Oteil were playing off of each other all through the show. Their chemistry with the rest of the band was great. And he's not playing Jerry's riffs - Bob Weir specifically said that they didn't want an imitator; they wanted someone who knew how to jam. That's why they picked Trey Anastasio for Fare Thee Well, and why they went with Mayer for D&C.

Jerry had the most unique sound of any guitarist. Mayer may not be playing Jerry's "riffs" per se but he sure is copying his sound.

JM is doing an arena tour for his new album with a set solo, with his trio, and full band. Sooooo... he is raking in dough playing his own id say

I'd go see DSO again over any of the other bands going to Buffalo....

No, they aren't the Dead... no, Jerry isn't playing guitar from the great beyond, but they do put on a damn fine show.

I feel 30 years younger when I see them perform and I hope they play Frontier field in Rochester again this summer.

John Mayer seems typical of many artists in his generation. He is a very talented guy who's not capable of creating original material that showcases his talent. There are so many talented musicians out there right now. Take a look at all of them on YouTube. Incredible instrumentalists are everywhere you look. The problem is that they aren't capable of creating their own style. Too many people are capable of emulating the guitar gods note for note, but they can't write material that comes anywhere close to those guys stuff.

jun 20 - Canadian hall of fame: randy bachman and 5440 ($12,$17)

Thanks for posting those dates. I hope to catch a coupe of those shows. ZZ Top is one of my favorites on that list. Too bad I couldn't catch them in their prime before they started lip syncing. I understand some bands use backing tracks but ZZ Top in 2017 lip syncs as blatantly as Milli Vanilli. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5