Karlos key to a playoff run? UPDATE: Suspended for 2017-18

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we FINALLY close the book on Whaley and admit he was a TERRIBLE GM?????

This pretty much cements his abject failure as a procurer of talent!!!!!

I closed that book several years ago, but I'm so used to talking about it that I just can't stop.

Not a Whaley guy, but to be fair, Karlos was talented, but a buffoon,and MG was talented, but not retained.

not defending Whaley here, but I don't see how it was a bad move drafting him, he showed he had a lot of talent, just nothing between the ears and can't keep himself clean for a few years of his life to make a living. There's no denying he has a lot of talent

What were realistic expectations of a 5th rounder? I thought 9 TDs as a rookie was quite a success. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of skill players drafted in the 5th that don't get that in their career. That's really not supporting the "Whaley sucks" argument.

it was worth a shot.

wonder how it would have turned out if MCd and McB had brought him in?
this is the difference i expect from creating a proper structure within the Football Team.

Dareus will be the sign post as to how much Coaching and Structure matter

using Rex as the extreme opposite side of the bell curve

Edited by 3rdand12

What were realistic expectations of a 5th rounder? I thought 9 TDs as a rookie was quite a success. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of skill players drafted in the 5th that don't get that in their career. That's really not supporting the "Whaley sucks" argument.

You can find plenty of examples much earlier than the 5th round. That's just a fact and points out what a crap shoot the draft is (for ALL teams).

Edited by Augie

Don't do it 34!!! Take the loss before the sharks come out. We never know what Skelton, Da'Rick or Kauffman could have done either with the opportunity. Sometimes we are just wrong and best off taking the L. That's not the hill to die on

Sharks be damned... I liked the kid... Things didn't turn out as I would have hoped... On the bright side, I don't have a "favorite kid" from this draft... So I guess they're all safe :lol:

Does anybody here think believe KW is "Lawrence Phillips" effed-up?

Wonder if the league offers anything in the way of help?

Edited by #34fan

Sharks be damned... I liked the kid... Things didn't turn out as I would have hoped... On the bright side, I don't have a "favorite kid" from this draft... So I guess they're all safe :lol:

Does anybody here think believe KW is "Lawrence Phillips" effed-up?

Wonder if the league offers anything in the way of help?

I hope not. Karlos has a sick kid I think. I'm hoping that he can get his life together for his family.

Who has a better season, Chris McCaffery, or your beloved Zeke Elliott?

Not even close, I don't think you understand the prospect that Zeke was. He rushed for 700 yards and 8 TDs in a 3 game stretch to win the National Championship. He wasn't a nice player like Melvin Gordon. He was a superstar and the top RB to enter the draft since Peterson. He went out there, and not surprisingly, dominated. He had a strong case to be the league MVP as a rookie. There's a difference between good and great and he was destined to be great. McCaffrey is a good player and has a really complete game but he's nowhere near the runner between the tackles. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I saw some of McCaffery's minicamp footage... He looks fast... If he was on the Patriots, I'd say McCaffery... I think Zeke puts up smaller numbers than last year, but still beats the McCaff-back.

I saw some of McCaffery's minicamp footage... He looks fast... If he was on the Patriots, I'd say McCaffery... I think Zeke puts up smaller numbers than last year, but still beats the McCaff-back.

I'd bet if they play the same number of games Zeke will be 300 + rushing yards ahead of him.

If you just use fantasy projections I'm being WAY generous. These guys are projecting almost 1,000 yard difference!!

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/projections/christian-mccaffrey.php

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/players/ezekiel-elliott.php

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I feel like you are partly responsible for keeping the book open here, but no, it doesn't. You can't ask for much more than what he did in 2015, especially as a fifth round pick. I don't think any of us really saw the rest of it coming really, and it's not up to Whaley to fix the guy's work ethic anyway.

I feel like you are partly responsible for keeping the book open here, but no, it doesn't. You can't ask for much more than what he did in 2015, especially as a fifth round pick. I don't think any of us really saw the rest of it coming really, and it's not up to Whaley to fix the guy's work ethic anyway.

The reason he was available in the 5th was because his baggage was foreseeable

But to get a guy that performs like that for a year at league minimum and then get out without ever wasting cash, a roster spot, or any other resource after that year isn't a failure. You don't write home about it, but it isn't embarrassing or anything either

The reason he was available in the 5th was because his baggage was foreseeable

But to get a guy that performs like that for a year at league minimum and then get out without ever wasting cash, a roster spot, or any other resource after that year isn't a failure. You don't write home about it, but it isn't embarrassing or anything either

Absolutely that's part of why he fell to the 5th. Additionally he only had two years of RB experience and was a tall build who ran upright and lacked leverage at the point of attack. We have seen better prospects with similar off-field concerns go higher and I think even if motivation issues were apparent he is the kind of physical prospect you have to take a day three flier on. Realistically after the stellar 2015 campaign you would think there would be more drive on his part to keep pushing, and you maybe would have hoped Rex or Lynn would have been able to motivate him better, though it's pretty clear at this point the blame falls square on Karlos' shoulders. Either way, as a fifth round pick that one year's worth of numbers is more than you get from most players taken in that range so it can be chalked up more as a success than a failure on Whaley's end, especially when you see that no one else drafted after Karlos has really done much outside of special teams.