NFL.com - Beane Preaches Open Competition at QB

PIZ

When all the dust settles Tyrod Taylor will be the starter. But it wouldn't surprise me if Peterman pushes him hard in pre-season. I see Cardale getting cut.

This in a nutshell. At the end of the day, the Bills are not going to carry 4 QB's on their roster. T.J. Yates (God help us), was signed to be the veteran that can step in if Tyrod gets hurt. The Bills did not have luxury draft picks in this draft. That tells me that Peterman was picked with a purpose. Worst case scenario is that he looks like a rookie and he's the #3. Best case scenario is that he looks like he can actually play and pushes Taylor in camp. That leaves Jones as the odd man out. I know he was taken as a project last season. He was a Rex/Doug project none the less. That makes him expendable IMO. As far as any idea of an "open competition", I seriously doubt that happens. Taylor comes pretty cheaply for the productivity that he's shown so far. If we see more of the status quo, he'll be an easy cap hit next season at only about $8.6m. They would save $9.4m by letting him go after 2017. I don't think there's a lot of dust that needs to settle honestly. Pretty cut and dry.

man tyrod must feel like things are washing out underneath him

last year we were all excited to see what progress he could make after his first pretty good first year starting. by the end of the season he seemed to demonstrate he had no more upside. didnt even get a sniff when the bills gave him permission to talk to other qb needy teams. agreed to cut his pay IN HALF to stay with the bills. and now the spanking new GM says his spot on the roster isnt even a given

holy dropping rock batman

He had his best game as a Bill the last game, which should have been a W. He's so terrible yet the Bills are 15-14 when he starts.

Good. It should be an "open" competition in the beginning that TT should win easy. Hopefully, Peterman and Jones step up and Yates doesn't make the team.

Jones could be the odd man out. TT, Yates, Peterman.

For the one millionth time...the biggest problem with the Bills 2017 Roster is NOT at starting QB! They have holes all over the place. I have a feeling the new Coaching staff is thanking their lucky stars that they have a returning starter under center given all the other changes they are trying to implement.

Nobody Circles the Wagons like the CoT.

3 or 4 maybe even 5 great games out of 29 says all you need to know.

Still the first man in the office in the morning, has history with the OC, called the HC when he was hired, called the rookies soon after the draft...

He's a locker room leader and will win the job.

Im sorry?

Still the first man in the office in the morning, has history with the OC, called the HC when he was hired, called the rookies soon after the draft...

He's a locker room leader and will win the job.

Im sorry?

Which is all fine and well.

I will be impressed when the Bills start to win games against the likes of NE, Steelers, Raiders, Chiefs, Falcons, Seahawks, and Packers,

never mind getting swept by the Fish and trounced by NYJETS in September.

Which is all fine and well.

I will be impressed when the Bills start to win games against the likes of NE, Steelers, Raiders, Chiefs, Falcons, Seahawks, and Packers,

never mind getting swept by the Fish and trounced by NYJETS in September.

I think we can all agree with you there. I'd like to consistently compete with the top dogs.

We're not there yet... I don't think any available QB this year would have got us any closer to that level.

We're busy giving up 500 yards rushing to Jay freakin Ajayi, and 350 yards passing in prime time to Ryan freakin Pickspatrick...

No surprises here....it's what they should say, and what they should do. Tyrod will be the guy this year, as long as he's healthy. If he gets hurt, well, I guess the glass half full guy in me says that helps our draft next year (which just may be our serious QB pickin' year).

man tyrod must feel like things are washing out underneath him

last year we were all excited to see what progress he could make after his first pretty good first year starting. by the end of the season he seemed to demonstrate he had no more upside. didnt even get a sniff when the bills gave him permission to talk to other qb needy teams. agreed to cut his pay IN HALF to stay with the bills. and now the spanking new GM says his spot on the roster isnt even a given

holy dropping rock batman

The bills didnt give him permission to talk to other teams. Try again.

On Tyrod, my lingering question is this though...if our coaching staff was so terrible and unprepared, how many of his shortcomings are his fault? Or was our offensive coaching seen as competent? What is Rivers going to do if he is playing in that offense? Also, we have to provide some credit for the complete lack of talent at the WR position. When he had his full array of healthy weapons, I felt like he was a much better QB.

According to some our front office, coaches and players are all incompetent. Since they have been making par evidently that is true for league.