Peter King/MMQB: The Bills Begin... Again

Great read?? That was as boring and uninsightful as their respective press conferences.

King used to at least get the odd readable articles via his fabled ass-kissing but he can't even do that anymore.

Actually, I thought it was MUCH better than what we got at Beane's press conference. Reading it you get a nice feel for how close these guys are, how comfortable they are working together. That's a very good thing. Doesn't matter if they don't have the chops to get the job done - coaching and personnel management, but if they do, that kind of relationship is a huge benefit.

Also, it clarified the QB situation for those who were reading too much into earlier comments. TT is the starter unless and until (1) someone takes the job from him or (2) he's bad enough that they have to move on.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can split it over 2 years but it still adds up to 8,500,000 dead cap. Dumb contract.

4.25 mil in dead cap per year. Which is what matters jeff. I'd be willing to sacrifice $10 mil in dead cap per year if it meant keeping a below average QB with upside. It's too important. Until we find the surefire QB we're not going anywhere anyways so what's a measly 4 mil? You think we're making the Super Bowl either of those years if Tyrod doesn't step up? It's just weird to me you're willing to use a 1st round pick or more to draft a QB that's never played a down in the NFL, but you're terrified by the prospect of wasting $4 mil in salary cap to see if our current QB can take the next step. Can't it be both?

4.25 mil in dead cap per year. Which is what matters jeff. I'd be willing to sacrifice $10 mil in dead cap per year if it meant keeping a below average QB with upside. It's too important. Until we find the surefire QB we're not going anywhere anyways so what's a measly 4 mil? You think we're making the Super Bowl either of those years if Tyrod doesn't step up? It's just weird to me you're willing to use a 1st round pick or more to draft a QB that's never played a down in the NFL, but you're terrified by the prospect of wasting $4 mil in salary cap to see if our current QB can take the next step. Can't it be both?

Well, this is where I disagree. I don't see upside. I think smarter cap management would have been to move on and not lock ourselves into 8.5 dead cap hoping Tyrod becomes something great under his 3rd offensive coordinator for the team.

Anyways, enough on Tyrod. I hope our future contracts are smarter and more cap friendly. We can't afford to pay people not to play.

Edited by jeffismagic

There McD's initial perspective on Tyrod, then Beane's, then McD's followup.

I'm left thinking he's either the QB of the future or could be cut. :lol:

Pretty much what I got. Tyrod is Buffalo's QB of the future, unless he isn't, and then maybe one of the other three on the roster is, or he might not be on the roster yet.

For me it's all fluff.

I don't put any stock into the offseason fluff articles anymore.

Actions are louder then words.

I don't either. It was a nice article, made me feel good, but there is nothing that matters, nothing at all except wins. And there is nothing we can see or be told this month that will give me any more confidence about how many wins we'll see in the fall. Well, not nothing. If the Bills traded Dareus for Aaron Rodgers, I guess I'd get excited about that.

That's why I said it doesn't matter unless they can actually do the job. We won't know how they do their jobs for a year or two.

The Panthers are a perennial .500 team like us. The only difference being they picked ahead of us one year and got Cam instead of Dareus. Nothing too exciting here

this is a really good point. it's not like the Panthers have been some world beaters and McDermott and Beane were the heart and soul of multiple trips to the Super Bowl.

i know it's heresy, but I'm not sure Newton is all that much better than Taylor. Not saying Taylor is great; just saying that I've never been sold on Newton.

Well, this is where I disagree. I don't see upside. I think smarter cap management would have been to move on and not lock ourselves into 8.5 dead cap hoping Tyrod becomes something great under his 3rd offensive coordinator for the team.

Anyways, enough on Tyrod. I hope our future contracts are smarter and more cap friendly. We can't afford to pay people not to play.

The way I see it Jeff, no Super Bowl team is spending less than $15 million per year on their quarterback, and that's probably the bare minimum. Maybe the Patriots are the exception because they have the sweetest deal going with Brady. But in my philosophy I'm always willing to spend on the quarterback position until I find somebody, because it literally doesn't matter until I do anyways. If I'm not spending money on a quarterback I'm not winning so I might as well spend on what I have and see what happens. I'm not as sold on Tyrod as my posts may make me out to be, but I am sold on the Bills' current process for finding a QB.

I know the Tuna never bought into it, but most coaches kind of inherently understand some form of the "Pygmalion Effect."

In short, the Pygmalion Effect says that people tend to perform as they are expected to perform by authority figures (parents, teachers, coaches) to perform. When you treat people like winners, they tend to behave like winners. When you treat people like losers, they behave like losers.

So, of course, most coaches will express confidence in their QBs. And that makes it hard to discern coach-speak from actual opinion.

His contract is a 8.5 million dead cap hit if we release him after this year. That is not great to have 8.5 dead cap.

That's actually well below the average for starting QBs, which was like ~13 mil. Yolo posted the numbers in the Trade Tyrod thread.

Honestly, if you're wondering why posters have a problem with you, this sums it up. Complaining without knowing...

That's actually well below the average for starting QBs, which was like ~13 mil. Yolo posted the numbers in the Trade Tyrod thread.

Honestly, if you're wondering why posters have a problem with you, this sums it up. Complaining without knowing...

I am talking about dead cap. You are talking about something else. So stick to the topic or not.

Per usual, you pick one line out of context when both McD and Beane specifically went further in the discussion. You're an embarrassing "contributor" to this board.

...it is tiring, isn't it?