Beane interview Thursday

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have we hired him yet?

No you got plenty of time to hire a puppet

The Rooney Rule was less intend to solve the problem of "not wanting to hire a black coach" than it was to break the good ol' boys network that would recycle coaches rather than take a risk on an unknown, which made it much more difficult to even get an interview as a minority coach.

In that regard, it's actually ended up being a very smart rule. It's gotten a lot of candidates exposure at higher levels than they would have otherwise received, but they still succeed or fail on their own qualifications.

To try to avoid unqualified people like John Lynch of San Fran jumping over more qualified candidates

The Rooney Rule was less intend to solve the problem of "not wanting to hire a black coach" than it was to break the good ol' boys network that would recycle coaches rather than take a risk on an unknown, which made it much more difficult to even get an interview as a minority coach.

In that regard, it's actually ended up being a very smart rule. It's gotten a lot of candidates exposure at higher levels than they would have otherwise received, but they still succeed or fail on their own qualifications.

I mean, that also trickles down to a high percentage of coordinators being white, and coordinators tend to get HC vacancies.

So, while in turn they tried to find a way to force teams into looking into minorities, the root of the issue was still at the very roots of the system.

Has it worked, here and there, but not enough to say the rule is a success by any stretch.

That being said I think Beane will be the new GM.

How many coaches - not just in Buffalo but across the league - have we seen fail because they just didn't have enough talent on the roster?

I don't have a strong opinion about who we hire as GM because I don't have the resources to evaluate some other team's #2 personnel guy. But I sure hope Pegs does - and makes the right call.

How many coaches - not just in Buffalo but across the league - have we seen fail because they just didn't have enough talent on the roster?

I don't have a strong opinion about who we hire as GM because I don't have the resources to evaluate some other team's #2 personnel guy. But I sure hope Pegs does - and makes the right call.

...and whoever he hires will have successes AND failures....nature of the beast........so be prepared for the TBD "pundits" calling for his head come February.....stay tuned.........

I'll settle for just getting lucky, as long as it works out!

yep. it did change the NFL's Coaching makeup. Maybe less valid in today's world. But it did effectively open up the pathways for more quality Coaches regardless of race color etc