QB comparative data for Tyrod from Cian Fahey to discuss

Not Swahili, must be something else.

Enable Translation macro - because it deserves a negative "tone"

We need a QB that "has a few bad games", more than we need a QB who" has a few great games".

What? Who's saying this?

My bad. I apologize. I go t my syntax backwards. Damn Translation macro!!!

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple tweets from Fahey yesterday in response to the Maclin pursuit:

Taylor is recruiting Jeremy Maclin. 3.34% of Taylor's yards were created by receivers on off-target throws last year, 26th in league.

Taylor's yards per attempt jumped 0.74 when adjusted for WR mistakes/created plays, third highest in league

since the Maclin thread was closed...

So now we are making decisions on when it does or doesnt mean anything for pro bowl to fit narrative?

It either does or it doesnt

honestly, you think getting in as the third or fourth alternate is the same as being elected first or second string?

come on, your better than that John.

Edited by Foxx

honestly, you think getting in as the third or fourth alternate is the same as being elected first or second string?

Selection to the pro bowl is selection to the pro bowl

It either means something or it does not....there is no in between

by the way....when discussing the whole safety thing I am not saying that the ravens one has been a great safety......

He has

Hyde....up and comer....young....versitile

vs all pro safety who is getting on in years

Every year is a new year......and Hyde might fit this system perfectly......while older players just continue to get older

It either means something or it does not....there is no in between ....

so, a watered down version is the same as all the first and second stringers showing up...... gotcha.

come on... John!

quit barking up the wrong tree, you know your wrong here, just admit it.

hell, no one is right all the time.

Edited by Foxx

A couple tweets from Fahey yesterday in response to the Maclin pursuit:

Taylor is recruiting Jeremy Maclin. 3.34% of Taylor's yards were created by receivers on off-target throws last year, 26th in league.

Taylor's yards per attempt jumped 0.74 when adjusted for WR mistakes/created plays, third highest in league

Since this thread is about Fahey and his stats, I'm going to say again that I take all this stuff with a grain of salt. Fahey is too young and uncredentialed for me to take him seriously. I mean, why in the world should I trust a stat he created that predicts what Taylor's yards per attempt would be if adjusted for wide receiver mistakes? That's a highly subjective and speculative stat, and I'm not inclined to put much stock in it until Fahey is a recognized expert.

Fahey is a guy creating content for sale. He's built himself a little niche by taking deep dives into stats, and he produces interesting stuff, interesting in that people like to read it and it helps Football Outsiders and others fill their pages with content. It doesn't mean it's right or insightful or anything.

Look up Bill James. He self-published his football stats for years, in virtual anonymity. He was nearly 40 before Billy Bean and Theo Epstein actually started using that data, that is, it took 15 years before people began to see that James's work had validity. And I have no doubt that James was just one of dozens of people out there concocting theories about and manipulating data to try to give greater insight into the game.

I don't see any coaches or GMs quoting Fahey data to justify decisions about their QBs. If they aren't quoting him and using his stats, that means they don't think those stats are meaningful or helpful in the pursuit of quarterbacking excellence. If coaches and GMs don't think what Fahey is doing is useful, why should I?

Is the recipes thread or did I make a wrong turn

Wrong turn. This thread is much less interesting, but it's all we're left with for a few weeks. (Unless, in a cost cutting move, the Packers release Aaron Rodgers. THAT would make the Maclin thread look like a coffee break.)

By the way, how do you like your coffee?

Edited by Shaw66

It either means something or it does not....there is no in between

by the way....when discussing the whole safety thing I am not saying that the ravens one has been a great safety......

He has

Hyde....up and comer....young....versitile

vs all pro safety who is getting on in years

Every year is a new year......and Hyde might fit this system perfectly......while older players just continue to get older

John, he was a 5 time All-Pro. For your frame of reference, Mario Williams was only a 3 time All-Pro.

Trying to make this about TT's ProBowls is a losing proposition at best.

so, a watered down version is the same as all the first and second stringers showing up...... gotcha.

come on... John!

quit barking up the wrong tree, you know your wrong here, just admit it.

hell, no one is right all the time.

I have stopped talking about the Pro Bowl as a thing since there are some that feel it is not a thing if it fits their narrative.

Now the all pro selections? Thats a thing I fully admit that.....

John, he was a 5 time All-Pro. For your frame of reference, Mario Williams was only a 3 time All-Pro.

Trying to make this about TT's ProBowls is a losing proposition at best.

I am actually not.....I am trying to stay away from the pro bowl talk all together....

For that matter.....I wasnt even talking about TT....someone else started that....it was comparing safeties with the ravens

but of course...everything gets turned to a Tyrod Taylor discussion for christ sake a MOD CLOSED THE THREAD.....and fox decided to throw it into another thread in a attempt to keep a TT discussion going

...does TT possess the required gray matter to process/read the entire field in the scant 5 seconds allowed or not, to make this club's passing game a viable and dependable threat?...yes...or...no..?..

I think he does, but that of course is one of the important questions for Taylor and about 20 other starting quarterbacks in the league. QBs like Flacco, Eli, Carson Wentz, Carson Palmer, Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, etc.

I have stopped talking about the Pro Bowl as a thing since there are some that feel it is not a thing if it fits their narrative.

Now the all pro selections? Thats a thing I fully admit that.....

I am actually not.....I am trying to stay away from the pro bowl talk all together....

For that matter.....I wasnt even talking about TT....someone else started that....it was comparing safeties with the ravens

but of course...everything gets turned to a Tyrod Taylor discussion for christ sake a MOD CLOSED THE THREAD.....and fox decided to throw it into another thread in a attempt to keep a TT discussion going

and now there is a moment of silence for that thread.

Since this thread is about Fahey and his stats, I'm going to say again that I take all this stuff with a grain of salt. Fahey is too young and uncredentialed for me to take him seriously. I mean, why in the world should I trust a stat he created that predicts what Taylor's yards per attempt would be if adjusted for wide receiver mistakes? That's a highly subjective and speculative stat, and I'm not inclined to put much stock in it until Fahey is a recognized expert.

Fahey is a guy creating content for sale. He's built himself a little niche by taking deep dives into stats, and he produces interesting stuff, interesting in that people like to read it and it helps Football Outsiders and others fill their pages with content. It doesn't mean it's right or insightful or anything.

Look up Bill James. He self-published his football stats for years, in virtual anonymity. He was nearly 40 before Billy Bean and Theo Epstein actually started using that data, that is, it took 15 years before people began to see that James's work had validity. And I have no doubt that James was just one of dozens of people out there concocting theories about and manipulating data to try to give greater insight into the game.

I don't see any coaches or GMs quoting Fahey data to justify decisions about their QBs. If they aren't quoting him and using his stats, that means they don't think those stats are meaningful or helpful in the pursuit of quarterbacking excellence. If coaches and GMs don't think what Fahey is doing is useful, why should I?

Wrong turn. This thread is much less interesting, but it's all we're left with for a few weeks. (Unless, in a cost cutting move, the Packers release Aaron Rodgers. THAT would make the Maclin thread look like a coffee break.)

By the way, how do you like your coffee?

The OP wouldn't even mention this guy if he didn't have it hard for TT...FACT.

...does TT possess the required gray matter to process/read the entire field in the scant 5 seconds allowed or not, to make this club's passing game a viable and dependable threat?...yes...or...no..?..

All indications say he doesn't have it...he's a physical talent, haven't seen much or heard much that speaks to his football IQ and feel for the position.

I have no issues with those who still hold out hope, but that's all it is, and it's based on blind faith.

Since the Maclin thread was closed... what exactly...?

The fact that you're rebooting this thread and this conversation is making me chuckle a bit...

Kinda interesting here that you're ultimately saying validity is more about perception than reality.

I disagree with you there, but I get what you're saying.

And why should you trust a stat he's created? You shouldn't 100%. Take it with your grain of salt.

However, he put in the time I'm not about to put in by watching and breaking down every single NFL QB through his own subjective measures that he explains pretty thoughtfully and really makes an effort (albeit subjectively and therefore imprecisely) to quantify aspects of QB play while considering all the external factors.

It's meaningful to a degree because with whatever "cherry-picking" he might be doing, he's doing it across the board for all QBs.

First, the caveat : I'm sure the majority of people skeptical about Mr. Taylor aren't bizarrely weird, just the most vocal ones here.

That out the way, what a spectacle! Transplant says TT would be a fine QB if he could play consistently at the level of the Seattle and (2nd) Miami game. Now, the obviousness of this is so obvious it's obvious, but any formulation finding Taylor the slightest bit above a "running back who can throw" is a red flag to very bull-head people. So they respond with posts saying it's not enuff for Taylor to play with consistency, he has to play with consistency. Transplant is horribly wrong to bring up the issue of consistency, because the real problem is consistency. The thing that would make Taylor a real QB isn't consistency (that fool Transplant !!!), but consistency.....

Me? I think the problem is consistency, so clearly I disagree with everyone - right?

Of course that is the issue. There have been zillions of posts from people trying to define some a priori element of Taylor cooked into his genetics which disqualify him as a quarterback. He can't throw over the middle. He can't see the field. He can't process decisions. My favorite is the "throw with anticipation" bromide, which is a testament to the mass hypnotic effect of sports clichés. It would be a wonderful thing to chart the frequency of usage of this trait as defining QB skill, both before & after it became the go-to Tyrod insult. A thousand-fold increase maybe?

But whatever weaknesses there are in Taylor's game, he has very frequently played at a high level. In fact, if you look at his Bill's career exclusively when he plays with a legitimate Number One & Two receiver, he's looked pretty solid. He can make the throws. He can be a playmaker. He can even improve. Even minus those final Ws, I thought he looked much more clutch the second half of last year. Red zone offense got significantly better. Third down conversions improved. It's all down to consistency. That will define his ceiling and we should see in '17.

Now : Carry on with your argument whether it's consistency or consistency. Enquiring minds want to know!

well, for consistency sake, I could make those throws with a stud #1/2. The problem is he can't put the team on his back and win when it counts. The very good QBs do. That is my argument, everyone can post the fancy stats to rebuke my take, but the eyes don't lie.

All indications say he doesn't have it...he's a physical talent, haven't seen much or heard much that speaks to his football IQ and feel for the position.

I have no issues with those who still hold out hope, but that's all it is, and it's based on blind faith.

There's a disturbing trend in these types of posts from you that might point to something more about you (and you wouldn't be alone) than Taylor.

It's subtle, and not a road a football message board should go down... but it's still part of the dark underbelly of the most important position in today's NFL...

well, for consistency sake, I could make those throws with a stud #1/2. The problem is he can't put the team on his back and win when it counts. The very good QBs do. That is my argument, everyone can post the fancy stats to rebuke my take, but the eyes don't lie.

Do your eyes tell you Aaron Rodgers is a very good QB?

He's 2-39 in his career in executing 4th quarter comebacks against winning NFL teams...

but he sucks...?

There's a disturbing trend in these types of posts from you that might point to something more about you (and you wouldn't be alone) than Taylor.

It's subtle, and not a road a football message board should go down... but it's still part of the dark underbelly of the most important position in today's NFL...

Do your eyes tell you Aaron Rodgers is a very good QB?

He's 2-39 in his career in executing 4th quarter comebacks against winning NFL teams...

but he sucks...?

Are you really comparing the two? Lol....

You made a statement about what very good QBs do, not me.

By your definition, Rodgers isn't a "very good QB," much less the Elite one we all know he actually is.

These were your (poorly chosen) words, not mine. I made no comparison... don't even know what you're asking...

Since the Maclin thread was closed... what exactly...?

The fact that you're rebooting this thread and this conversation is making me chuckle a bit...

somebody had to do something, it was about to slip off the first page. it'll never get to 300 pages if it is allowed to do that.

;)

The OP wouldn't even mention this guy if he didn't have it hard for TT...FACT.

Yeah. What kind of guy likes the QB on the team he roots for enough that he actually goes to a fan forum for the team and posts positive stats about him? OP is a weirdo.

There's an actual name for this kind of logical fallacy.

I can't think of the name right now, though.

Anyone...?

Besides, did I post an actual assessment by him of Taylor? Do you believe he skews his data because he's enamored with Taylor?

ad hominem

Yeah. What kind of guy likes the QB on the team he roots for enough that he actually goes to a fan forum for the team and posts positive stats about him? OP is a weirdo.

lol This is perfect for a few in here. Why do they bother watching the games when they will be rooting against TT.

lol This is perfect for a few in here. Why do they bother watching the games when they will be rooting against TT.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone here is actively rooting against him. There are just some fans who don't expect him to play well. And as inconsistent as his play has been, they're correct about 48% of the time.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone here is actively rooting against him. There are just some fans who don't expect him to play well. And as inconsistent as his play has been, they're correct about 48% of the time.

Believe me , there are a couple for sure who root against him. One is in this thread. I believe you responded to his post.

You see this a lot. A person criticizes a part of Taylor's game. Someone responds by pointing to numbers from another QB, such as Rodger's record of fourth quarter comebacks, Russell Wilson's first two years starting, or other QBs' percent of throws across the middle. The response is usually some variation of "How DARE you mention Tyrod's name in the same breath with (insert star quarterback's name here). Now, DirtDart's version is completely unobjectionable and Rodgers is clearly a better player - though that just makes him more valuable as a benchmark for judging others. But some people's moral affront re TT comparisons get a bit drama-queenish. They also can be pretty absurd. For instance, I've seen the "How DARE you" thing with Kirk Cousins - This from people who apparently don't know Cousin's first years starting were a dumpster fire, leading to him getting benched for Colt McCoy.

You are a sad little man...

Posts like this from you speak volumes.

I've known this about you for quite sometime, but it's always nice to have it out there.

And to follow that up with an accusation of being prejudiced?

It's safe to say you are at the top of your game today.

Folks used to get upset and say fans were "rooting against" JP and EJ at one point. Then they got let go by the team.

No matter how bad a QB can be, most fans still root for them and the team to win. TT is miles better than those two QBs. He is the best QB we have had this century.

Folks used to get upset and say fans were "rooting against" JP and EJ at one point. Then they got let go by the team.

And some make things up to help their infatuation of hate-like putting words in Maclin's mouth for statements he never made.

No matter how bad a QB can be, most fans still root for them and the team to win. TT is miles better than those two QBs. He is the best QB we have had this century.

And some make things up to help their infatuation of hate-like putting words in Maclin's mouth for statements he never made.

Orton was a better QB.

Like I said, history repeats. QB shows promise, folks fall in love. QB stumbles, some fans start thinking he may not be the one. These fans face constant attacks about how they are biased and haters and are rooting against the QB. 1 year later, QB is no longer the starting QB.

Orton was a better QB.

Like I said, history repeats. QB shows promise, folks fall in love. QB stumbles, some fans start thinking he may not be the one. These fans face constant attacks about how they are biased and haters and are rooting against the QB. 1 year later, QB is no longer the starting QB.

Orton was ok, but not better. TT is not a terrible QB. Far far from it. But go right ahead and predict (want) him to fail badly. once again, I repeat it a million times, but 15-14, 47 TDs, 15 turnovers and over 1000 yards rushing is not, and never will be the terrible you want it to be.

Posts like this from you speak volumes.

I've known this about you for quite sometime, but it's always nice to have it out there.

And to follow that up with an accusation of being prejudiced?

It's safe to say you are at the top of your game today.

like you're some saint, LOL

quite the contrary

take note, post was not edited so you don't have that to cry about, souless...

The thing is he initially started this thread with this little intro about Fahey and how he really thought he had some interesting stuff...it just so happens that it coincides with his views on Taylor, so it's good stuff. If it wasn't...then we wouldn't hear a word about this guy and his numbers.

Some people will never accept Tyrod because he does not fit the mold of what they think a QB should be. He has his strengths and his weaknesses. Do I think he is a Franchise QB? No I don't but do I think you can win with him in the right system I do.

I don't care how he scores whether with his legs or his arm they still count as TDs. Until there is a better option and someone beats him out for the job got to make sure they surround him with a strong D and running game.

Edited by billieve420

Not believing someone is good is not the same as rooting against them.

You pick some petty fights and are constantly arguing with people. Try and lighten up a little. Not everyone sees things the way you do.

Edited by Bangarang

You pick some petty fights and are constantly arguing with people. Try and lighten up a little. Not everyone sees things the way you do.

I think there is a lot of that on both sides.....

I did notice when I stopped attacking people for their opinions the conversations became less antagonistic

Everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless if it is the same as mine

You see this a lot. A person criticizes a part of Taylor's game. Someone responds by pointing to numbers from another QB, such as Rodger's record of fourth quarter comebacks, Russell Wilson's first two years starting, or other QBs' percent of throws across the middle. The response is usually some variation of "How DARE you mention Tyrod's name in the same breath with (insert star quarterback's name here). Now, DirtDart's version is completely unobjectionable and Rodgers is clearly a better player - though that just makes him more valuable as a benchmark for judging others. But some people's moral affront re TT comparisons get a bit drama-queenish. They also can be pretty absurd. For instance, I've seen the "How DARE you" thing with Kirk Cousins - This from people who apparently don't know Cousin's first years starting were a dumpster fire, leading to him getting benched for Colt McCoy.

There is a reason why Aaron Roger's is a franchise qb and Tyrod Taylor is not.

I mean....I am a big fan of Tyrod Taylor.....the level of qb talent is not the same between Aaron Roger's and Tyrod Taylor....there is no shame in admitting that.

Orton was ok, but not better. TT is not a terrible QB. Far far from it. But go right ahead and predict (want) him to fail badly. once again, I repeat it a million times, but 15-14, 47 TDs, 15 turnovers and over 1000 yards rushing is not, and never will be the terrible you want it to be.

I never called him terrible, do you have me confused with someone else?

You are right for the most part but Crusher has been routing against Taylor since he beat out EJ day one