GM Doug Whaley has been fired

Yea KC have been terrible at drafting QBs and have had all their successful years by acquiring guys from elsewhere - Montana, Green, Cassel and now Smith. But I think John is praising their process as much as their pick.

I think I heard the other day that the Chiefs haven't WON A GAME started by a QB they have drafted since Todd Blackledge, who they drafted in 1983? That's hilarious.......but Andy Reid is a different story.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I heard the other day that the Chiefs haven't WON A GAME started by a QB they have drafted since Todd Blackledge, who they drafted in 1983? That's hilarious.......but Andy Reid is a different story.

Yea that sounds about right.

As I say above, they have spent a number of high draft picks on QBs. They just happen to be proven NFL players (Smith, Trent Green) rather than college QBs.

As I say above, they have spent a number of high draft picks on QBs. They just happen to be proven NFL players (Smith, Trent Green) rather than college QBs.

Which means they have tended to draft fewer QBs high in turn.... so the two are linked.

More the urgency. In general I don't agree with drafting QB after QB hoping you hit on one.

It does seem to be a fact that about 50% of high 1st round qb don't work out and increases to >60% later in 1st and in 2nd round.

So what do you propose as an alternative? The "draft QB rarely and give each drafted guy 3 years" approach doesn't seem to be working for the Bills too well.

It does seem to be a fact that about 50% of high 1st round qb don't work out and increases to >60% later in 1st and in 2nd round.

So what do you propose as an alternative? The "draft QB rarely and give each drafted guy 3 years" approach doesn't seem to be working for the Bills too well.

Scout the heck out of guys. Bias yourself towards guys that have experience in college playing in a pro style offense where they take snaps under center and have to make actual reads. Smart guys who can process information.

My other plan would be to let other teams make their mistakes drafting, watch guys that are perhaps second stringers or guys that show promise, then swoop in at free agency.

I think too many teams reach for QBs in round 1.

The roster is weak. We haven't been good in forever. I don't know the answer to fixing this team, I can just tell you that everything we've been doing is wrong. Do I have confidence in Coach McD? Not particularly. But at least he's purging this team and starting over. At the very least if he stinks and gets canned we have removed some of the institutional failures that have been able to survive multiple coaches. That of course, presumes he doesn't replace failure with failure.

Scout the heck out of guys. Bias yourself towards guys that have experience in college playing in a pro style offense where they take snaps under center and have to make actual reads. Smart guys who can process information.

My other plan would be to let other teams make their mistakes drafting, watch guys that are perhaps second stringers or guys that show promise, then swoop in at free agency.

I think too many teams reach for QBs in round 1.

That's fine, OMF, problem is, every team thinks they're scouting the heck out of their pick, and yet busts happen.

There is too much uncertainty in the whole draft evaluation process to wash it out by scouting.

The 'other plan' is essentially what we did with Tyrod Taylor.

I agree with you too much reaching, but it's I think the inevitable result of supply/demand. More demand for promising QB than there is supply, especially college QB who play in a pro-style offense and make reads.

Hey guys, don't worry. Bills have two first round picks next year and John Murphy and Donald Jones said Bills could, "wheel and deal."

I was thinking that other teams could do that too but John Murphy sold me. Who could ever outsmart or maneuver better than the Buffalo Bills?

That's fine, OMF, problem is, every team thinks they're scouting the heck out of their pick, and yet busts happen.

There is too much uncertainty in the whole draft evaluation process to wash it out by scouting.

The 'other plan' is essentially what we did with Tyrod Taylor.

I agree with you too much reaching, but it's I think the inevitable result of supply/demand. More demand for promising QB than there is supply, especially college QB who play in a pro-style offense and make reads.

Finding a great QB is one of the hardest things to do in sports. It's why there's only around 30 modern era QBs in the Hall.

Finding a great QB is one of the hardest things to do in sports. It's why there's only around 30 modern era QBs in the Hall.

Bills missing out on very good QB's as well. They missed out on Derek Carr, Dak Prescott, and Russell Wilson just recetly. I also think they missed this year because Sean wanted to go defense.

True, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Wrong. Sometimes not taking the shot is the right choice or you might hit a friendly. In this case you might select someone, get rid of someone else and it gets worse. Just look at EJ.

True, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

I'm fine with this philosophy but spending two 1sts on a QB means you better be damn sure you picked the right one. The Chiefs gave up a chance to take a shot next year. It's like when we traded up for Losman and lost out on a chance at Aaron Rodgers. So I'm fine taking a QB every year but not selling out for one. And taking just any QB with a high pick doesn't make sense either. Some traits project to the NFL and IMO Mahomes's don't at all.

Wrong. Sometimes not taking the shot is the right choice or you might hit a friendly. In this case you might select someone, get rid of someone else and it gets worse. Just look at EJ.

It's not wrong. You miss every shot you don't take in the draft. Now some of those you may be glad you missed and of course you try and take the right shots but the Bills have simply been too passive at Quarterback in the draft.

They can't run scared forever cos EJ was a bust.

I'm fine with this philosophy but spending two 1sts on a QB means you better be damn sure you picked the right one. The Chiefs gave up a chance to take a shot next year. It's like when we traded up for Losman and lost out on a chance at Aaron Rodgers. So I'm fine taking a QB every year but not selling out for one. And taking just any QB with a high pick doesn't make sense either. Some traits project to the NFL and IMO Mahomes's don't at all.

What what your QB board this year?

Again I was not a big Mahomes guy. It isn't the pick I am defending. It is the process. You can't win a Championship with Alex Smith. You have to try and find your guy.

The Losman / Rodgers thing is interesting in this sense. The Bills took their shot in a QB class everyone was raving over and missed a guy coming out of a non pro style system in a QB class everyone said wasn't that great. If any team thought there was a guy in this draft with Franchise potential but decided they liked the odds better in 2018 they made a wrong move.

What what your QB board this year?

I didn't have anyone as a 1st round prospect. Trubisky was my #1 because his traits project to the next level. The issue is he's been playing for such a short time and we've seen plenty of 1-year wonder QBs in college, like Hackenburg. I thought a lower 1st round pick would have made sense for him. My #2 was Peterman so obviously I'm very excited with that pick in the 5th round, I am blown away he was still there. In my mind I wanted us to take him in the 2nd or 3rd. My #3 was Dobbs and there's not much separation between him and Peterman for me. Mahomes would be #4 because he has the highest ceiling, I just don't think he has a very good chance of getting there. As a comparison I think Cardale Jones has the highest ceiling of every QB on our roster and if I had to pick one of our QBs to make it I would choose him - I just think he has a minuscule chance of ever getting there.

After those 4 I didn't have much interest in the other guys.

Bills missing out on very good QB's as well. They missed out on Derek Carr, Dak Prescott, and Russell Wilson just recetly. I also think they missed this year because Sean wanted to go defense.

Let's be honest it is also about having the right environment to develop a QB. Prescott and Russell Wilson were drafted to pretty stacked teams that were able to play to their strenghts and mask their weaknesses. Prescott was gifted a great O-line, a beastly running back, and a defense that had a great year, his rookie year success could come down. Russell Wilson was drafted to a team that had a very good O-line at that time, a Hall of Fame running back in Lynch, and an all time great defense. Wilson has since matured into a great player as ironically the talent around him has dipped he has gotten better as a player.

Derek Carr was the only player drafted into a **** situation that turned it around and developed into a very good player with a lot of potential. So I am curious how much of it is the player and how much of it is the situation. Would Big Ben been a great player had he been drafted by the Bills? I don't know if he would have developed into the same player honestly.

I hope that the Bills do turn it around as an organization. I think Tyrod can be a QB that gets you to the playoffs but I am not sure how much he elevates a offenses talent. Honestly it might be a combination of right player, right place, right time in a lot of circumstances which is why finding QB's is so hard.

It's not wrong. You miss every shot you don't take in the draft. Now some of those you may be glad you missed and of course you try and take the right shots but the Bills have simply been too passive at Quarterback in the draft.

They can't run scared forever cos EJ was a bust.

Absolutely right. The Bills should do what the Jets did.