Tyrod will not be handed starting Job

MAJBobby

Crazy how petty the Tyrod argument has become. People have literally argued every possible thing there is. Nobody is changing their minds about him and if they do it won't be until the season starts and yet round and round we go.

Edited by Bangarang

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's difficult to figure out how to write about Tyrod Taylor. Did you know that, among quarterbacks who've played at least 20 games the past two seasons, he ranks fourth in touchdown/interception ratio, seventh in Total QBR and 11th in yards per attempt and has the third-fewest interceptions? No, I'll bet you didn't know that.

Taylor is clearly a better player than a lot of people want to believe he is, yet he hasn't risen to the point where he inspires any level of confidence that he's a franchise guy. Add an all-new coaching staff and front office in Buffalo, and the team itself probably doesn't yet know how it's supposed to feel about its quarterback situation." ESPN

Meh, it's his until someone else earns it, which is the way it should be.

`

They shouldnt be "handing" him the starting job anyway

Exactly why would McDermott say that Tyrod already has the job if he has other qb's trying out? it just kinda makes sense for him to say that Tyrod will have to work for it, cause he will. he will get the starting job, but if anyone outperforms him it's theirs that's just how it works.

Crazy how petty the Tyrod argument has become. People have literally argued every possible thing there is. Nobody is changing their minds about him and if they do it won't be the season starts and yet round and round we go.

we could end all the problems by cutting him, or making him our backup, only problem is we never get any qb's that have proven that they are better than him. I think Tyrod is the right choice right now, because there are not really anyone better than him on the team right now, and people are frustrated that we weren't winning and wanted to blame it on someone. why not the qb? so petty as you said.

Edited by ryan-ryan

@MatthewFairburn

Bills OC Rick Dennison said it's not about whether Tyrod Taylor fits the offense. He's a good football player, so Dennison will make it work

Rick Dennison mentioned Taylor's ability to move the pocket, stress the defense with his legs and make plays off play action as positives.

What a contrast to "fully pregnant"

"It's difficult to figure out how to write about Tyrod Taylor. Did you know that, among quarterbacks who've played at least 20 games the past two seasons, he ranks fourth in touchdown/interception ratio, seventh in Total QBR and 11th in yards per attempt and has the third-fewest interceptions? No, I'll bet you didn't know that.

Taylor is clearly a better player than a lot of people want to believe he is, yet he hasn't risen to the point where he inspires any level of confidence that he's a franchise guy. Add an all-new coaching staff and front office in Buffalo, and the team itself probably doesn't yet know how it's supposed to feel about its quarterback situation." ESPN

Now add what Taylor brings to the table in the run game helping Buffalo hold the highest yards rushed per attempt in the league average through field management and participation.

I know how I feel about the QB position...

Edited by Figster

Now add what Taylor brings to the table in the run game helping Buffalo hold the highest yards rushed per attempt in the league average through field management and participation.

I know how I feel about the QB position...

I like him.He wasn't the reason we missed the playoffs last season.

This is completely ridiculous. There is nobody on this team that even is CLOSE to taking the job from TT even if it was an open competition.

Yeah, it's a great soundbyte, but in terms of people arguing about it and trying to determine the meaning it's irrelevant.

Tyrod is far better than anyone else we currently have and will be starting barring injury.

This is completely ridiculous. There is nobody on this team that even is CLOSE to taking the job from TT even if it was an open competition.

Yeah, it's a great soundbyte, but in terms of people arguing about it and trying to determine the meaning it's irrelevant.

Tyrod is far better than anyone else we currently have and will be starting barring injury.

I think the argument broadened out..... that argument you are absolutely right is ridiculous. For 2017 Tyrod is unquestionably the Quarterback. I hope he has an outstanding year, I will be rooting for him every week. For those who accuse me of hating him and rooting against him because I don't think he is a franchise Quarterback or the Quarterback of the future I give you me standing on my feet at 4.30am in the morning waking up the neighbours as he led us on that final drive at Seattle last year. So gutting we couldn't punch it in. I really thought we were going to pinch one there.

tough as nails, plays through injury, team comes 1st leader of men, humble

I could go on and on...

Yep. Doesn't turn the ball over which is huge. 47 TDS, 15 turnovers, over 1000 yards rushing. Bills are 15-14 when he starts. That is hardly terrible.

I think the argument broadened out..... that argument you are absolutely right is ridiculous. For 2017 Tyrod is unquestionably the Quarterback. I hope he has an outstanding year, I will be rooting for him every week. For those who accuse me of hating him and rooting against him because I don't think he is a franchise Quarterback or the Quarterback of the future I give you me standing on my feet at 4.30am in the morning waking up the neighbours as he led us on that final drive at Seattle last year. So gutting we couldn't punch it in. I really thought we were going to pinch one there.

I don't think he is guaranteed anything past this season,and if they have a chance to move up with their 2 number 1's and whatever else they need to package, they need to and go draft a guy they believe in...if they hit on it, it will be worth the price, and if not it's not like it hamstrings you by giving up picks like most think it does...Seattle didn't have a number 1 pick for like 3 years straight and they were winning super bowls and making deep playoff runs, and the Redskins gave up a boatload to draft RGIII and they made the playoffs before the Rams did, who got all those picks...

The loss of a pick in the first round hurts, but how much more does it hurt than drafting a guy who sucks like Aaron Maybin? The assumption is we would have drafted a star player but that's a 50/50 proposition at best as we often see...lots of first rounders don't turn out to be anything, losing a single pick doesn't hurt

Edited by matter2003

Yep. Doesn't turn the ball over which is huge. 47 TDS, 15 turnovers, over 1000 yards rushing. Bills are 15-14 when he starts. That is hardly terrible.

Accomplished with an OC sent packing half way through and the whole regime/circus act terminated.

I agree with you JM,

Tyrod Taylor was not the problem.

Edited by Figster

Couldn't it be argued that not taking chances is the reason why and that if he took more chances and maybe had a few more turnovers we would have been better?

It's like the shipping company that says they have a 99% on time ratio but instead on taking on more orders, they limit the number of orders so they can maintain their on-time rating to the detriment of the company. This was a real world example of something that actually happened from a management book I was reading...the moral of the story was to look at the number and understand it fully instead of just seeing it on a piece of paper.

What's better for the team/company? Sometimes you have to be willing to turn it over to make a play...

Edited by matter2003

I've said this on the other board and I'll say it here (and it's been said by quite a few so pardon the redundancy).....

* Taylor is the best option right now.

* Taylor has not carried the team like you would want a franchise QB to do (which is why he can't be considered a franchise QB at this point)

* His skill set has had a positive effect on the run game (which many deny but I'm sticking to basic football logic for this bullet point)

* He throws as nice a deep ball as anyone in the league

* Taylor's skill set is better suited with Dennison's style of offense

* Taylor has had issues with anticipation throws.....due in part to not having starting WR's available.....also, not wanting to turn the ball over, he opts for the conservative approach

* Taylor checks down a bit more than I would like

It's funny how some people can't look at Taylor objectively....."he sucks" "he'll never be a franchise QB" "he can't throw over the middle" etc....... JM2009 pretty much hit the nail on the head....Taylor hasn't been THE problem. Has his play been limited? Yes. But if you paired his efforts with the 2014 Bills defense, they'd have made the playoffs without question.

IMO, McDermott and his coaches will put the players in a better position to be successful. That's one thing Rex struggled mightily to do. Sticking with the circus terminology, the clown show is over....now it's time to move on to the lion tamers and the high wire act where concentration and hard work are critical to their success.

Yep....exactly how I see it too. It makes the most logical sense. McD wanted Taylor over the likes of a Josh McCown and Brian Hoyer...basically his options if Taylor left. If you ask a player to take a cut as much as they asked Taylor, especially when he just signed the new contract just 8 months prior, you understand you run the risk of that guy of losing him. McD was willing to risk it.

How are they risking losing him?

Taylor is our's for the next 4 years if he's playing to the level where the Bills want to franchise him. This is the best contract the Bills could ask for.

Shaw thinks this contract is a win for Taylor based on what his agent friend said. And while I respect his opinion and credibility and do think Taylor is "betting on himself" to a certain degree, I think Taylor wanted to stay with the Bills more than some folks are willing to accept (because pro athletes go where the most money is!) and he showed his hand the moment he opened himself to restructuring on clean out day. It's the whole art of the deal thing... once he showed any level of willingness, of course McDermott is going to try to get him to take less money if he can free up money at other positions of need. It's not like he's built a significant relationship with Taylor that can't be repaired.

Sorry, but that's just what I think happened. And it's reasonable even if you disagree. Your opinion is reasonable, too, even though I disagree. What's irritating is when posters say that an opinion is unarguable when, in fact, it's merely speculation.

Crazy how petty the Tyrod argument has become. People have literally argued every possible thing there is. Nobody is changing their minds about him and if they do it won't be the season starts and yet round and round we go.

This is pretty much the point I am at.

As I'm sure you remember, this whole Tyrod Taylor "war" has been going on since BBMB (it got WAY out of hand there), and now it has spilled over to here, with a lot of the same people on both sides arguing back and forth.

It's absolutely pointless to just keep arguing at this point. Nobody on either side is going to change their minds no matter what is said, that much is clear.

I got dragged into it at BBMB, to the point where I was discussing it almost daily. But I've reached the point now where I hardly ever enter into the TT discussion and if I do I say my piece once or twice and I'm done. (I am pro Tyrod Taylor, BTW as you might remember from BBMB). It's just pointless, it really is.

I really like this place and I absolutely do not want to see it devolve into what the BBMB had become at the end.

The thing is, we are all just fans anyway. We have zero influence in what the team does. What does it matter if other fans don't agree?

I tell ya though - it's a lot easier now to just sit back and let things play out now that I feel like we have a very competent crew at OBD running things. I had little faith left in Whaley to address the QB position.

@MatthewFairburn

Bills OC Rick Dennison said it's not about whether Tyrod Taylor fits the offense. He's a good football player, so Dennison will make it work

Rick Dennison mentioned Taylor's ability to move the pocket, stress the defense with his legs and make plays off play action as positives.

Rick Dennison was also with Houston when they drafted Yates in 2011. Just saying that they too have a relationship.

You forgot to say that --- it is not playoff worthy either.