Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

Would make my day if Darnold was 15th and we drafted him. With him not having as good of year as expected he could slip a bit and then we could develop him, because when plays break down is when he is at his best an those things can't be taught, while the others can.

I think it's almost a guarantee that he is staying in school at this point

Not happening. No one who's projected to go in the top 2 (or even the top 15) is staying in school. Too much $ and too much risk to turn it down. People learned their lesson from Matt Barkley.

Guys do it. Matt Leinart, Jake Locker, Andrew Luck. Last year it was Josh Allen. Coaches talk them into staying 1 more year and fine tuning their craft and enjoy life as a college kid. I'd say Darnold is probably 90% staying and Rosen is probably 50/50.

I think it's almost a guarantee that he is staying in school at this point

Guys do it. Matt Leinart, Jake Locker, Andrew Luck. Last year it was Josh Allen. Coaches talk them into staying 1 more year and fine tuning their craft and enjoy life as a college kid. I'd say Darnold is probably 90% staying and Rosen is probably 50/50.

I think he will stay too and think he should but if he does not then we should draft him, no question.

I think he will stay too and think he should but if he does not then we should draft him, no question.

very true but I think he is one of those rare talents where teams will trade away their entire draft to move up. even if he is mocked to go at 15 i think a team would trade away everything to get him top 5

You make a great point John. You know, I think that if they really like him they should take him in round 1.

Jmo.

He is a 56% completion passer in his college career. That should not even sniff the 1st round. If it does it tells me NFL teams still have absolutely zero idea what they are doing.

If Darnold stays in school this class becomes Rosen, Rudolph and then it depends how teams view Baker Mayfield - I can imagine he will divide opinion.

Jackson - mid rounder

Falk - mid rounder

Allen - mid rounder

He is a 56% completion passer in his college career. That should not even sniff the 1st round. If it does it tells me NFL teams still have absolutely zero idea what they are doing.

If Darnold stays in school this class becomes Rosen, Rudolph and then it depends how teams view Baker Mayfield - I can imagine he will divide opinion.

Jackson - mid rounder

Falk - mid rounder

Allen - mid rounder

And Allen is a mid rounder by arm talent alone. Keep hearing the Carson Wentz comparison because he is from a smaller school, difference being Wentz was a winner at said school. Allen routinely finds ways to throw up all over himself. When his game starts to go south on tape watch out.

I finally got around to finishing the USC/Utah game off. Plenty to dislike about Darnold but I have to give him credit for digging himself out of a hole primarily of his own creation.

There's definitely an Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck-ish set of mental traits there. Memory like a goldfish for bad plays.

Although he really hasn't played much in his short career he carries himself as a veteran in the sense as you described he is not affected by his bad plays. He has some mechanical issues to clean up but there are some traits associated with "intangibles" that can't be taught. You either have them or don't. He's got them. From a development standpoint he should stay in for another year.

Jackson - mid rounder

Falk - mid rounder

Allen - mid rounder

Dak Prescott didn't have a first round game. Russel Wilson didn't have a first round grade. For many analysts Mahomes didn't have a first round grade. And for many analysts Watson did not have a top tier grade. I'm not questioning your grading system because it seems more than reasonable. What I am questioning is that I don't think that qbs should be on the same scale as the other positions. They should be in a separate category altogether. The issue for me is whether in due time the prospect has enough tools both physically and mentally to be a franchise qb. That is why I would not be reluctant to draft a qb higher than the standard ranking of players.

Although he really hasn't played much in his short career he carries himself as a veteran in the sense as you described he is not affected by his bad plays. He has some mechanical issues to clean up but there are some traits associated with "intangibles" that can't be taught. You either have them or don't. He's got them. From a development standpoint he should stay in for another year.

Dak Prescott didn't have a first round game. Russel Wilson didn't have a first round grade. For many analysts Mahomes didn't have a first round grade. And for many analysts Watson did not have a top tier grade. I'm not questioning your grading system because it seems more than reasonable. What I am questioning is that I don't think that qbs should be on the same scale as the other positions. They should be in a separate category altogether. The issue for me is whether in due time the prospect has enough tools both physically and mentally to be a franchise qb. That is why I would not be reluctant to draft a qb higher than the standard ranking of players.

Dak had a lower grade because he had a DWI which by most accounts was unusual behavior for him.

John, I recall posting on TBD, hoping that the Bills would draft him based on what I saw from him against the Crimson Tide. They sacked him 8 or 9 times and hit him on just so many plays. They all but killed him and he was still fighting back and throwing some nice passes. He was also big and very mobile.

One of my unsolved football mysteries is how he lasted until round 4, dwi or not. He will always have my respect as a player.

Which QBs intrigue you?

Way too early to say, but I will be watching more as time passes.

Dak had a lower grade because he had a DWI which by most accounts was unusual behavior for him.

John, I recall posting on TBD, hoping that the Bills would draft him based on what I saw from him against the Crimson Tide. They sacked him 8 or 9 times and hit him on just so many plays. They all but killed him and he was still fighting back and throwing some nice passes. He was also big and very mobile.

One of my unsolved football mysteries is how he lasted until round 4, dwi or not. He will always have my respect as a player.

Way too early to say, but I will be watching more as time passes.

Bill, Buffalo's lack of ability to scout qbs is one of the underpinning reasons why this franchise has gone nearly a quarter of a century without a franchise qb. I have often said that teams that don't have a franchise qb have to be not only more aggressive but more discerning in pursuing prospects. As you stated Dak did have a DWI charge against him it was an aberration from the way in which he usually carried himself. With out a doubt he had the tools, the character, football intelligence and the work ethic. This stupid organization gratuitously gave up a pick for the Ragland deal in which we could have selected him. Demoralizing stupidity!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.