McDermott: Teams Calling the Bills about the # 10 Pick

When do teams ever trade up for safeties, corners or tight ends?

All 3 of those positions are absolutely loaded this year. Why give up picks for a position where you'll be able to get a great player at any of those positions in the 2nd round?

A team traded up for a right tackle last year (Tennessee). I think Lattimore would result in calls, but if he is there and you are not going Quarterback then just pick him.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A team traded up for a right tackle last year (Tennessee). I think Lattimore would result in calls, but if he is there and you are not going Quarterback then just pick him.

I'd have a hard time trading back if Hooker/Lattimore fall down to 10. Those are the only realistic guys I see falling that would make me take the phone off he hook. Edited by Commonsense

I don't see it.

The consensus thoughts on this draft are that it's deep, and it's loaded at CB, S and TE.

I don't see anyone trading up for one of those positions.

When do teams ever trade up for safeties, corners or tight ends?

All 3 of those positions are absolutely loaded this year. Why give up picks for a position where you'll be able to get a great player at any of those positions in the 2nd round?

Teams traded up for a guard, a tackle and a linebacker in the top 36 picks last year. The Giants have said they want to trade up, they aren't going after a QB.

Absolutely. No one is going to trade up to 10 until they see how the draft breaks. As usual, the QB's will be the key. There is a chance that AZ or HOU will want to get ahead of the Browns, but something tells me the Browns will not still be sitting at 12 by then.

Agreed. If the Browns are sold on a quarterback they will leapfrog us. I'm sure the Bengals or Panthers would love to move back and acquire extra picks.

Teams traded up for a guard, a tackle and a linebacker in the top 36 picks last year. The Giants have said they want to trade up, they aren't going after a QB.

If anyone is trading up in this draft, it'll be for a QB, WR or LT.

QB is obvious.

WR and LT are historically thin at both positions. Beyond the top few guys, the WR and LT classes are awful.

I don't see anyone trading up for a S, CB or TE because those groups are loaded.

I don't see it.

The consensus thoughts on this draft are that it's deep, and it's loaded at CB, S and TE.

I don't see anyone trading up for one of those positions.

There are lots of good corners in this draft. Lattimore is a great one. If he is there at 10 there would be calls, no question.

Edited by GunnerBill

Does anyone else get the feeling if McDermott can't trade out of ten he will reach for his guy that he like that fits the system?

It's the traditional Bills move! Of course it will happen that way!

Edited by Dr Doom

Agreed. If the Browns are sold on a quarterback they will leapfrog us. I'm sure the Bengals or Panthers would love to move back and acquire extra picks.

The Bengals have a solid history of never trading up or down and they certainly won't want to hand the Browns a franchise QB. Carolina is reputedly smitten with Fournette and/or McCaffrey. Browns might want to move to 10 to prevent the Bills from selling the pick to AZ or HOU. On the other hand, trading up is supposedly antithetical to the Browns' new philosophy.

Anyone you love in this draft?

I love TJ Watt. He's going to be a star in the NFL. He's the next Clay Matthews and I'd take him with the 10th pick. Super high floor and ridiculous ceiling.

There are a ton of good DBs who will get picked in rounds 2 and 3.

I like Nathan Peterman. I think he's got upside as a starter.

I like Wayne Gallman as a mid/late round pick. I love his willingness to move the pile between the tackles. He'd make a good compliment to McCoy.

Exactly. Cleveland is going to dictate this draft.

Sure, but I would have to imagine every team in the top 8 is holding them over the barrel on any sort of trade up. Forcing them to take Trub at #2 pushes talent down the board for everyone, if you are a team like San Fran why wouldn't you hold every gun to their head knowing them taking Trub gives you Garrett. Chicago is said to love Adams but likely knows San Fran takes him if Garrett goes #1. I can't imagine the Browns paying the likely exorbitant price on moving up right now, they value picks way too much.

. I can't imagine the Browns paying the likely exorbitant price on moving up right now, they value picks way too much.

Haslam. If he is saying they are only allowed to take Garrett #1 provided he gets Trubisky as well then the Browns are likely forced to trade into the top 5.

I would LOVE to see our Bills move down in the first and garner an extra high 2nd or 3rd round pick

Sure, they might lose out on a Lattimore, Foster, and or Reddick

However they still have their picks of countless solid WR's, CB's, RT's, and OLB's

Plus they get to draft another potential starting player

jc

Yep. Who needs elite talent, when you can have a boatload of picks to spend on table scraps that might just barely make the roster?