Interesting article on NFL's "Racial Divide"

Swimming was a major world athletic sport last i checked. Michael phelps is a better athlete than anyone playing in the nfl. The post i responded to said that blacks were better athletes than whites based, seemingly, on watching football and maybe basketball/sprinting and not much else. The world of athletics is a lot bigger than the world of the nfl corneback.

By any chance, were you or one of you children/parents, a competitive swimmer?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find it interesting that the Pats have more white players than any other team on a pretty regular basis and are one of the greatest dynasties of all time. Add to that how they use more white players at the skilled positions esp on offense than the other teams.

Genetically, whites are better at cheating, back door dealings and manipulating the system.... (see the illuminati, mafia, free masons, conventional American politics etc)

/sarcasm

Edited by DasNootz

Some people are good athletes and others aren't. Race has nothing to

do with it. I couldn't be a world class marathoner, but it has nothing to do with my race. Mengele called, he wants you to stop stealing his ideas.

read carefully, kiddo. did not say race, said genetics.

Tell that to all of the white swimmers and the massive number of white guys throwing 95+ mph fastballs.

You can't have competitive swimming and hockey without facilities and those are few and far between in American urban centers where there's the highest concentration of minorities.

Sports and the NFL are a meritocracy. No team is playing the owners nephew unless he happens to be a very good player. So when it comes to a racial divide at certain positions I think the problem is either non-existent or massively overblown. Teams aren't playing white guys at corner back because they aren't very good at that position, if a white player was good at that position teams would play them. In a high stakes zero sum game with definitive outcomes teams aren't messing around caring about race and such.

That !@#$er was long.

I have no doubt that's true. And the point about people inside the sport ridiculing people who come in from outside the sport is well-taken. The people that played and/or coached the sport are probably highly susceptible to basing their "predictions" for players based on what they've seen in the past.

But calling it a racial "divide" is sanctimonious at best. Sports, especially the NFL, is big money, bigger than it ever has been in history. The idea that scouts and GMs are consciously trying to keep a divide going is ridiculous.

I don't think scouts or GM's are trying to create a racial divide when it comes to race as it relates to skill set.

It is what it is...

You can't have competitive swimming and hockey without facilities and those are few and far between in American urban centers where there's the highest concentration of minorities.

That's my point, actually. Sociological sorting into different sports is the primary driver of most of this. I was reacting to a blanket statement about blacks being better athletes than whites. Relatedly, expect the percentage of white players in the NFL to decline over time as more more middle class white families refuse to let their kids play football.

Edited by dave mcbride

That's my point, actually. Sociological sorting into different sports is the primary driver of most of this. I was reacting to a blanket statement about blacks being better athletes than whites. Relatedly, expect the percentage of white players in the NFL to decline over time as more more middle class white families refuse to let their kids play football.

I agree, but I also agree with the general premise of the article of which people here seem to missing. Starting with the college scouting of high school players recruiters already have subconscious bias. Recruiters are far more likely to look at urban Florida schools for recievers and corners while they are more likely to look at California suburban private schools for QB's. This creates a bias that I tend to believe might be true. 97% percent of NFL corners are black. It would actually be racist to say this is based on merit. That would be making the assumption that one race is more naturally gifted at corner than the other. This is simply not true.

I agree, but I also agree with the general premise of the article of which people here seem to missing. Starting with the college scouting of high school players recruiters already have subconscious bias. Recruiters are far more likely to look at urban Florida schools for recievers and corners while they are more likely to look at California suburban private schools for QB's. This creates a bias that I tend to believe might be true. 97% percent of NFL corners are black. It would actually be racist to say this is based on merit. That would be making the assumption that one race is more naturally gifted at corner than the other. This is simply not true.

I don't disagree!

I don't disagree!

It's not like I think it warrants a congressional investigation, but I do believe there is some validity to the article. You seemed to understand the topic. Some other people seemed slightly confused about what the article was trying to say. I'm not real concerned about, I just think that there is some truth to the article.

It's not like I think it warrants a congressional investigation, but I do believe there is some validity to the article. You seemed to understand the topic. Some other people seemed slightly confused about what the article was trying to say. I'm not real concerned about, I just think that there is some truth to the article.

absolutely, in my humble opinion.

I almost made the mistake of commenting before reading.

You do realize that The Undefeated is an ESPN site that was Jason Whitlocks idea but they booted him when he wouldn't go along with "the company line" right? Which this article clearly does.

Sure can- it's easy to not come to threads like this, no?

I know I know. That was definitely my mistake.

It's just frustrating how everything in media now is being conflated to discuss politics and SJW causes. Esp when most of the times it just feels so forced. Like in this case.

Edited by dubs

....any idea when THIS card gets worn out and is replaced by a NEW deck?......black versus white is only ONE chapter......had a headhunter call me years ago from Georgia about a CFO job.....based on my last name, he said, "so you're one of them there Eye-Talians"...last name ending in a vowel was a dead giveaway and he did NOT know my skin color..................