Bills Big Board, as per Leroi

Estro

I'm just not a fan. Especially when we lack depth in so many areas and already have Hughes and Lawson. That is why I'd view the pick as a typical cute Bills pick.

Cute is when you think you're smarter than the rest and also has to do with overvaluing skill positions rather than the front seve types. If they picked him most of the football world would think it was a terrific pick. And he's not exactly a skill position guy.

You might not like it but it wouldn't be cute.

I'd love it. But he won't be there.

IMHO the cute pick would be at TE.

IMHO,

Football is about exploiting mismatches and there is no mismatch bigger than putting 2 Athletic TE's on the field at the same time. Why? Because no matter what the defense does to counter, they still lose.

If they stay in their base D, that means a safety or LB is going to have to try and cover the TE in space...huge mismatch---the LB because he isn't going to be able to run downfield with the TE and the safety because the TE can just post him up basketball style and there is nothing he can do except make the tackle once the TE catches the ball. If they deceide to bring in Nickel to try and put a CB on one of them, then you outnumber them at the point of attack and you can just run the ball down their throat with 7 blockers(5 OL plus both TE's).

No matter what the D does they lose, and it's why New England covets that formation so much...they exploit mismatches better than any other team and they know there is no bigger mismatch than that.

If Howard is there at 10 I would take him.

Not so much when you've got a QB who almost never throws over the deep and intermediate middle third. It would be a move that could pay off down the road when a different QB takes over, but it would seem insane to me to do this when you have Tyrod as your guy and a plan to base your offense around the run game besides.

Then find someone who does, don't pass up the chance to have one of the best 1-2 TE combinations in the NFL...

The other question...is it Tyrod or was it the scheme he ran that dictated where the ball should go?

They talked a lot this offseason about getting Tyrod to throw over the deeper middle more. Remember the helmet cam that had the QB coaches happy that Tyrod was looking at the right options including the guys over that area of the middle?

It was Tyrod.

Edited by Thurman#1

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only pick on Leroi's board I wouldn't be thrilled about is Lattimore. I'm tired of first round corners.

And, by the way, I agree with others who have questioned why Leroi is leaking this stuff. I hate that for the organization. I'm ok not knowing who they'll pick until they pick.

here you go:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/3/14146508/tyrod-taylor-bills-option-strong-evidence-suggests-buffalo-bills-should-keep-him

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-bills-should-build-around-tyrod-taylor-not-show-him-the-door/

Speaking of Tyrod’s game -- you know the idea that he struggles (or is afraid) to throw over the middle? Well, the following numbers essentially prove that’s a fallacy.

While throwing to the middle of the field in 2016, Tyrod completed 103 of 137 (75.1% completion rate) of his passes for 1,027 yards (7.49 yards per attempt) with four TDs and zero INTs. All that equates to a QB Rating of 105.7. His QB rating passing to the right side of the field was an even 105. To the left — 85.7.

His 137 passes to the middle of the field accounted for 34.5% of his 397. Quite an even distribution when splitting the field into thirds.

Also, Tyrod’s 103 completions to the middle of the field accounted for 38.1% of his 270 total completions on the season.

Just 78 of his 270 completions (28.8%) went to the left side of the field and 89 went to the right side (32.9%).

You’re reading that correctly — the highest percentage of Tyrod’s completions in 2016 came in the middle of the field... the specific area in which it was widely believed he didn’t utilize enough.

Thing is, people who say that he doesn't throw over the middle are abridging what is actually said. Nobody says he doesn't throw over the middle short. He does. It's the most obvious thing in the world, he goes to the short middle a lot. Where he goes very infrequently is over the middle beyond ten yards, in the intermediate and long areas.

Also, all the stats you can find on "the middle" are talking either about the very small part of the middle between the hashes or more often, the very large part of the middle between the numbers. And again, it's very obvious that Tyrod throws a lot to the outside thirds of the field, and that that includes the area two or three yards inside the numbers. He goes there a lot in the deep and intermediate game. Again, he always has.

Where he goes infrequently is the deep and intermediate middle third. Anyone who says that the word on Tyrod is that he doesn't throw over the middle is misquoting the pundits. It's a specific part of the middle he avoids.

The specific stats you're referring to there are between the numbers. Which is not 33% of the field, it's about 48%. So if he throws 33% of his passes to the middle 48%, that's an imbalance, and again, Tyrod throws over the middle plenty short. Considering that about 70% of all NFL passes and also Tyrod's passes are short (w/in 10 yards of the LOS or behind it, according to ESPN, where your stats come from), it's not surprising that they have about a third of Tyrod's passes going over the middle 48%.

Anyway, I don't expect a QB at #10, though I wouldn't mind if they're really sold on someone. I'm wondering if we'll see them go after David Webb or Nathan Peterman.

Edited by Thurman#1

IMO, QB is their first pick. Never going to win in this league unless you have a good QB. Really, the only way to get that is through the draft. Yes, rarely have other ways happened (Brees comes to mind) but the draft is basically the only way.

IMO, QB is their first pick. Never going to win in this league unless you have a good QB. Really, the only way to get that is through the draft. Yes, rarely have other ways happened (Brees comes to mind) but the draft is basically the only way.

That is very true. The problem is the Bills hired Sean the Wrestler as Head Coach and GM. And Sean the Wrestler will probably punt on the 42 yard line.

I believe McDermott's ego is big enough that he believes he can handle the defense with the guys he has, plus a few later round picks. I'm sensing QB in the first. If not the first, then Chad Kelly sooner than anyone expects.

I believe McDermott's ego is big enough that he believes he can handle the defense with the guys he has, plus a few later round picks. I'm sensing QB in the first. If not the first, then Chad Kelly sooner than anyone expects.

If McDermott takes a QB my estimate of his ability will go up. Right now I see a risk averse defensive zone coach.

Yeah, I believe this also, been around wrestlers all my life, their a little odd.

Davis is much more coveted than you're led to believe if you listen to the draft "pundits". He's going inside the first 20 picks. And the logic that you can't take him @ 10 because a lot of mocks have him going later is not sound. If you take him @ 10 and he ends up being a better WR than Sammy Watkins, which I certainly believe he will, is it still way too early to take him?

I like Corey Davis. I work for the Univ of Buffalo and got a first hand look at him destroy us in Kalamazoo singlehandedly in the 2nd quarter of the game. He is a hell of a player.

My issue is that he has not been able to work out the entire offseason. The comp level he plays at is sub par, and he couldn't run a 40 yard dash. We also need to know he is fully healthy because our already number 1 WR can't do it. What is the point of having two #1s that aren't on the field. That is my point when it comes to taking him at 10. It has nothing to do with what I see in mock drafts

You contradicted yourself. Nice.

In addition to Brees - Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Rich Ganon, Jake Delhomme, Brad Johnson, Warren Moon, Dave Krieg, etc.

Wait, didn't Denver just win a Superbowl with a free agent QB a couple years back?

Yeah - drafting is BASICALLY THE ONLY way :lol::lol::lol:

You contradicted yourself. Nice.

In addition to Brees - Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Rich Ganon, Jake Delhomme, Brad Johnson, Warren Moon, Dave Krieg, etc.

Wait, didn't Denver just win a Superbowl with a free agent QB a couple years back?

Yeah - drafting is BASICALLY THE ONLY way :lol::lol::lol:

Yes, a nice trip through NFL history.

But the point remains that you don't run your team and franchise expecting:

A guy bagging groceries to catch fire after your starter goes down in training camp

Rich Gannon, the guy that shows any QB can improve later in their career, dude is a complete outlier

Warren Moon, NFL teams don't miss guys that can play and have them play in the CFL for years anymore. Nice look back though.

The guy gave us the board in order (and I've heard it verified elsewhere) and we are chasing him off. I'm not trying to blindly defend the guy but he has proven that he knows. There are others on here that aren't sharing info because they don't feel like getting trashed for it. People want so bad to be right or to draft their guy that they try to discredit the people that actually know. With the exception of a shocking drop (like Adams) you can bet the Bills will take those players, in that order (whether you want to believe it or not).

The guy gave us the board in order (and I've heard it verified elsewhere) and we are chasing him off. I'm not trying to blindly defend the guy but he has proven that he knows. There are others on here that aren't sharing info because they don't feel like getting trashed for it. People want so bad to be right or to draft their guy that they try to discredit the people that actually know. With the exception of a shocking drop (like Adams) you can bet the Bills will take those players, in that order (whether you want to believe it or not).

I don't think he did anything wrong. The real NFL teams have our board whether we post it or not. Every team knows who is looking at who.

This only gives us information that ESPN and NFL network don't have.