Kevon Seymour's potential in McDermott scheme

Hasn't been mentioned yet, so I'll do my BBMB duty.

Whaley sucks. He should be fired. We're just spinning the tires. Gilmore gone. Now gillislee is gone. We can't replace those players. According to scientific data I read on the interweb, Whaley was proven to be the worst GM in the history of football. Pegulas needs to sell the team so the new owner will fire him.

If by YET, you mean in the last 12 minutes, then fine.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad someone started this thread.

I feel like one of the very few things that Rex did right was properly develop Darby. Rex had good instincts regarding him and they paid off. I suspect that he had the same sort of plans for Seymour. He showed the same kind of promise that Darby did, but didn't have the same opportunity because of Gilmore's presence.

Pundits seem fairly united in the idea that CB is one of our top two needs. Certainly, we are shallow in that regard, but I have high hopes for Seymour. And for Darby, for that matter. I have posted on this site that I believe that Darby is every bit the CB that Gilmore is. I have been flamed for the remark, but stand by that opinion.

I also believe that Seymour has that same potential. I submit that CB is not quite the dire need that pundits claim it to be.

I feel like one of the very few things that Rex did right was properly develop Darby. Rex had good instincts regarding him and they paid off. I suspect that he had the same sort of plans for Seymour. He showed the same kind of promise that Darby did, but didn't have the same opportunity because of Gilmore's presence.

Pundits seem fairly united in the idea that CB is one of our top two needs. Certainly, we are shallow in that regard, but I have high hopes for Seymour. And for Darby, for that matter. I have posted on this site that I believe that Darby is every bit the CB that Gilmore is. I have been flamed for the remark, but stand by that opinion.

I also believe that Seymour has that same potential. I submit that CB is not quite the dire need that pundits claim it to be.

Well, not to argue, but Darby was horrible his first preseason, then played great as a rookie. Another year of Rex coaching and he seemed to regress. I hope all these guys will be comfortable in the new scheme. We need depth, for sure.

I was going to post something like this - you said it better. I think Darby and Seymour could be a surprisingly great tandem.

They also brought in a lot of guys to compete for depth. I'd bet a coach like McDermott can get the best out of a few.

Conventional wisdom here is that we have to draft a CB high, but it's really not that urgent.

I was going to post something like this - you said it better. I think Darby and Seymour could be a surprisingly great tandem.

They also brought in a lot of guys to compete for depth. I'd bet a coach like McDermott can get the best out of a few.

Conventional wisdom here is that we have to draft a CB high, but it's really not that urgent.

i think it will just depend on how the draft falls. I don't think they will reach for one out of need but will have identified those that best fit the scheme and if one is available at the right value point, gotta pounce.

i think it will just depend on how the draft falls. I don't think they will reach for one out of need but will have identified those that best fit the scheme and if one is available at the right value point, gotta pounce.

Agreed - taking a CB high certainly wouldn't shock me.

Can't wait. I love the draft. It feels like the start of the season.

I believe the Bills will draft a CB next week, but unless Lattimore falls in their laps at 10 I think they may focus on a slot CB in the mid-rounds, and focus on elevating Kevon Seymour to starting outside corner role opposite Darby. Josh Norman was also a 6th round pick before he emerged as a top CB under McDermott. I thought Seymour took some lumps as most rookie corners do this past season, Rex's scheme hung them out to dry a lot and I think he did show some good technique as well. This graphic is interesting (h/t @BUFFAL0SOLDI3R)

C9zr4KuWsAMuO0c.jpg

Seymour might be quicker, more sudden, but he's also slighter and less physical than Josh Norman. IMHO he's going to have some trouble against big physical WRs if he's outside. Maybe I'll be proven wrong about that. Hope so.

Norman was built a lot more solidly and muscularly.

Edited by Thurman#1

Seymour might be quicker, more sudden, but he's also slighter and less physical than Josh Norman. IMHO he's going to have some trouble against big physical WRs if he's outside. Maybe I'll be proven wrong about that. Hope so.

Norman was built a lot more solidly and muscularly.

this is true but he's also slower. I don't think Seymour fits the "mold" of what I have seen listed as McD's preferences at corner in terms of size and arm length, but he's very athletic. Since Darby is kind of similar (fast and athletic but not a size corner) I think we can assume we will draft a big corner to go along with them. Fortunately this is a great draft for that. Edited by YoloinOhio

I liked all of Seymour's measurables when we took him last year. Unfortunately, it seems like Rex's scheme constantly throws the boundary corners to the wolves. I have a feeling that Darby and Seymour have a bounce back year, but I would really like to see some added depth. That said, this is apparently the year to do it, especially if we have 3 5th round picks.

4.39 is not really that fast. it's essentially 4.4

under 4.3 is fast

under 4.2 is very fast

4.4-4.5 is pretty good

4.6 is pedestrian in the nfl.

4.7 or above, get out of here. you're a dt or ol.

As a former sprinter I will tell you for a fact that 4.39 is fast.

You're sounding a bit Uncle Rico-ish here lately.

Edited by Juice_32

4.39 is not really that fast. it's essentially 4.4

under 4.3 is fast

under 4.2 is very fast

4.4-4.5 is pretty good

4.6 is pedestrian in the nfl.

4.7 or above, get out of here. you're a dt or ol.

is there anyone that has broken 4.2? its pretty incredibly rare to see someone break 4.3

you could probably shift those to:

breaking 4.3 is incredibly fast

breaking 4.4 is very fast

and obviously disclaimer for positions/weight classes changing those assessments, but generally talking for the "runners" out there on the field with those brackets

Your making yourself look foolish

4.39 is not fast.....lol

its not.

Learn2speed. Dbs and wrs need to be low 4.3 at least.

As a former sprinter I will tell you for a fact that 4.39 is fast.

You're sounding a bit Uncle Rico-ish here lately.

I was a college sprinter, also. But this isn't Rico. The NFL players are small right now. They need to be faster. Especially as DL and lbs are getting bigger. I'm not impressed with 4.39

is there anyone that has broken 4.2? its pretty incredibly rare to see someone break 4.3

you could probably shift those to:

breaking 4.3 is incredibly fast

breaking 4.4 is very fast

and obviously disclaimer for positions/weight classes changing those assessments, but generally talking for the "runners" out there on the field with those brackets

perhaps. But if you look at times the average is getting faster and faster as these guys learn to run. Maybe the bias is his game speed. Which appears slow. Similar to Gilmore. Darby has game speed. Byrd had game speed. Goodwin did not. Mckelvin had great game speed.