Underrated Eateries

Roundybout

I live in Rochester. Season tickets since 1980. Yeah I'm getting old. Stopped here once on the way home from a game. Not sure about the beef, but they were the best wings I've ever had. And I've had a lot of wings. If I ever stop here again I'll have to try the beef.

Bar Bill is my "must go to" place when I go to a game. Awesome wings, awesome beef on weck and awesome service. All at very affordable prices. They are the best wings I've ever had, hands down.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although not off the beaten path by any means since it's located on Transit but a restaurant that I think is awesome in WNY that I NEVER hear anybody else ever talk about is Chester's...a Cajun/New Orleans style restaurant which holds a unique place in the WNY restaurant scene.

Chesters is great! Terrible beer selection/drink selection in general, but their cajun food is mighty fine! I've almost tried every dish they have and they are all on point! Good call!

Cracker Barrel is like my favorite restaurant. You seriously can't beat the price or the home cooking. I rarely get to go unless we are on the highway somewhere.

I am boycotting Cracker Barrel until Brad's wife is re-hired

Bar Bill is my "must go to" place when I go to a game. Awesome wings, awesome beef on weck and awesome service. All at very affordable prices. They are the best wings I've ever had, hands down.

Come on about the great service!

Tell me again how many times have you been there. The locals hate this place!!!!! Meaning the folks from here.

Barbill nothing but a tourist place. Right down the road there are places with wings just as frigging good without the long wait.

Byblos is no more, closed up late last year.

The Griffon Pub on Military Road in the Falls is terrific. Best poutine I've had outside of Canada.

Love the Griffon..everything there is a good, and they usually have a Sour on tap!

Cracker Barrel is like my favorite restaurant. You seriously can't beat the price or the home cooking. I rarely get to go unless we are on the highway somewhere.

Don't know why, but i don't like Cracker Barrel, but i did buy two rocking chairs from there for my porch!

That place is phenomenal

I've been there and was pleasantly surprised. In particular their Cajun dishes.

Chesters is great! Terrible beer selection/drink selection in general, but their cajun food is mighty fine! I've almost tried every dish they have and they are all on point! Good call!

Glad there's some fellow Chester's fans on this board :thumbsup:

I'm a northtowns guy so I'm not out that way frequently but I will make it a must stop during golf season after we go out for 19th hole suds and grub :beer:

guess Im too spoiled , didn't think the service was great either. I got "regular" hot wings but they added some special ingredients that ruin the whole thing. If I wanted weird wings I would order them. To me the key to wings is having a meaty portion that is fried so that the meat is still juicy but the skin is crisp and then just Franks and BUTTER, margarine is trash.

I am tempted every time to buy those chairs! They're actually a pretty good deal.

I think I like CB because I never grew up eating American cooking like that (parents are immigrants). Any time we ate out, it would be Ethnic foods or pizza. So eating chicken and dumplings and biscuits and chicken fried steak is an entirely new experience!

We also have a couple of the rockers on the front porch. There's something naturally appealing about them. :)

guess Im too spoiled , didn't think the service was great either. I got "regular" hot wings but they added some special ingredients that ruin the whole thing. If I wanted weird wings I would order them. To me the key to wings is having a meaty portion that is fried so that the meat is still juicy but the skin is crisp and then just Franks and BUTTER, margarine is trash.

I always just order "hot," and I think they're delicious. Each year, the waitress warns me, "Have you had the hot here before? Because they're very hot." I'm guessing they've gotten burned by people returning them because they're too hot for them? I always find the wings to have a perfect skin texture and the wings are always juicy and not over-sauced.

Just Frank's and butter isn't my thing. I hate paying someone else to give me something I can make myself. I like their flavor a lot and the heat is perfect for me.

Maybe I'm just getting lucky, but I'll continue to go until that changes.

Tell me again how many times have you been there. The locals hate this place!!!!! Meaning the folks from here.

Barbill nothing but a tourist place. Right down the road there are places with wings just as frigging good without the long wait.

So this is what this thread is about...what are the names of those places?

I am tempted every time to buy those chairs! They're actually a pretty good deal.

I think I like CB because I never grew up eating American cooking like that (parents are immigrants). Any time we ate out, it would be Ethnic foods or pizza. So eating chicken and dumplings and biscuits and chicken fried steak is an entirely new experience!

Beware if you ever do it. They sell off the front of their retail place, and some of the chairs are fairly beat up on the back and places you wouldn't expect. We found one good one and one barely acceptable one. I almost made multiple trips to make it happen.

I'm down here in FL, Wawa puts other gas stations to shame

Wawa isn't a horrible place. They are popping up all over Centrsl Florida and every one I go into is always busy.

It's not sit down but the food is good and prices are decent. My daughter loves their Panini's, almost always gets one before her softball practice. Another nice feature is you can pay via their app on your phone so you don't have to expose a bank/credit card.

Beware if you ever do it. They sell off the front of their retail place, and some of the chairs are fairly beat up on the back and places you wouldn't expect. We found one good one and one barely acceptable one. I almost made multiple trips to make it happen.

Ours were/are in great shape. Price is great i think for the quality of the chair, and we looked everywhere for a couple of chairs for our front porch. Now, they are under cover, but we have had for 2 years and look as good as the day we bought them

I always just order "hot," and I think they're delicious. Each year, the waitress warns me, "Have you had the hot here before? Because they're very hot." I'm guessing they've gotten burned by people returning them because they're too hot for them? I always find the wings to have a perfect skin texture and the wings are always juicy and not over-sauced.

Just Frank's and butter isn't my thing. I hate paying someone else to give me something I can make myself. I like their flavor a lot and the heat is perfect for me.

You are doing wings right gug! Don't let these naysayers trash the best wing in Buffalo (although a close second for me is Amherst ale house and a close third is Elmo's). They say the locals don't like it because it's always so busy, which leads to poor service. So these locals THINK there are other places in EA with just as good wings, but they are wrong and just fooling themselves and making themselves feel better about missing out on those great wings.

I have never been to Bar Bill...but what do they do for their sauce? Is it still a traditional Buffalo Wing sauce?

Also, while technically easy to do wings at home, less I fry at home the better. Although I have found that if I simmer a decent size pot of white vingar and lemons next to the dutch oven, tends to keep the grease smell to a minimum

you sure about that???? :huh:

oh i get it, you can use a gift card with the app...sorry, forgot about that

Wawa isn't a horrible place. They are popping up all over Centrsl Florida and every one I go into is always busy.
It's not sit down but the food is good and prices are decent. My daughter loves their Panini's, almost always gets one before her softball practice. Another nice feature is you can pay via their app on your phone so you don't have to expose a bank/credit card.

Edited by The Poojer

It's a gas station so expectations need to be tempered but it is a great one-stop-shop for people who drive a lot. Multiple kinds of decent coffee and creamers, bathrooms are always clean, a walk-in beer cooler that is always ice cold, more than edible subs and food, lotto vending machine and other things I have learned to appreciate.

I don't want to hijack this thread with wawa talk but this was the only one mentioned that I could relate to. I wish I lived in western New York and could find good wings everywhere. You guys would be surprised how many people screw up buffalo wings down here.

Edited by gatorbait

Finally! Totally agree. Wings are overrated. Since the original owner sold it, it's staffed by major league aholes.