Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

BILLS CAN’T AFFORD TO LET GILLISLIE GET AWAY...CAN THEY?

The New England Patriots are up to their old tricks and the joke could be on the Buffalo Bills – again.

The Patriots have offered a contract to talented Buffalo restricted free-agent running back Mike Gillislie.

The Bills have five days to match New England’s two-year $6.4 million contract offer in order to retain Gillislee.

The big question is whether the Bills can afford to keep him. If Buffalo doesn’t match the offer sheet, it would get a fifth-round draft pick from New England. Big deal. We’d prefer Gillislee.

Obviously, the loss of Gillislee would be a cruel blow to Buffalo’s top-ranked rushing attack.

Check out Gillislee’s combined stats as LeSean McCoy’s primary backup for the 2015 and 2016 seasons:

148 carries for 844 yards (5.7-yard average) and 11 touchdowns; 15 catches for 79 yards and 1 TD.

The Patriots “stole” wide receiver Chris Hogan from under similar circumstances last year. He wound up enjoying his best season and was a post-season hero.

The Patriots reportedly would part ways with veteran running back LaGarrette Blount if they land Gillislee. Does anyone doubt that Gillislee would turn into a high-profile star with New England?

The Super Bowl 51-champion Patriots could open this season with 3 of their 22 starting players recent Bills – first Hogan, then cornerback Stephon Gilmore and now – maybe – Gillislle.

If the Patriots wind up with Gillislee, it would yet another example of why New England is so consistently good while the Bills are so consistently frustrating to root for. It would be the latest example of how Buffalo can’t compete with New England on or off the field.

Read more: http://wham1180.iheart.com/onair/bob-matthews-column-48622/matthews-aaaron-hernandez-was-blessed-and-15755290/#ixzz4ejbsSQum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've heard all of my arguments on this...in the ONLY stretch of games during which he was targeted at a similar pace to those guys he OUT-PRODUCED them.

That he plays in an offense that throws the ball less than any other in the game is by far the largest factor in holding him back.

Availability is a relatively distant second.

Those are the facts; debate them as you will, but I'd encourage you to do it (a) in the appropriate thread and (b) with some consideration of context

Literraly zero of what you said is true. Availability to perform for your teqm is the only thing. Quit acting as if Sammy Watkins is better than JJ and any other elite wr. He simply isnt his production doesnt say it unless as you have define a small portion of his oft injured career stats. But thats not how it works, you know that, every GM knows it. If it were true Sammys option would be picked up right now.

It is very curious that in one of the deepest RB classes in memory, that The Pats would rather overpay for a (admittedly very good) back RB rather than save a few bucks and Draft one. Hell, there will probably be a couple of backs in the 7th Round who could approximate Gillislee's production. As far as wounding us goes, not buying it. They are surrendering a 5th Rounder.

If the reverse were the case, the press would be all over us for overpaying in such a strong Draft class AND giving up a Draft pick, then harping on how The Pats would be laughing all the way to the Draft over it.

And I highly doubt we will match the offer. The brass did not think enough of Gillislee to pay the extra 900k. Why on Earth would they then shell out even more? I get the feeling they are content with getting the Draft pick in a deep class and saving some green.

It is very curious that in one of the deepest RB classes in memory, that The Pats would rather overpay for a (admittedly very good) back RB rather than save a few bucks and Draft one. Hell, there will probably be a couple of backs in the 7th Round who could approximate Gillislee's production. As far as wounding us goes, not buying it. They are surrendering a 5th Rounder.

If the reverse were the case, the press would be all over us for overpaying in such a strong Draft class AND giving up a Draft pick, then harping on how The Pats would be laughing all the way to the Draft over it.

And I highly doubt we will match the offer. The brass did not think enough of Gillislee to pay the extra 900k. Why on Earth would they then shell out even more? I get the feeling they are content with getting the Draft pick in a deep class and saving some green.

As I said earlier:

'Cowherd believes that Belichick has lost interest in draft picks after the collective bargaining agreement made things more "pro player" by eliminating the number of practices and amount of hitting that takes place. Instead of teaching rookies, Cowherd believes that Belichick prefers to get veterans who understand the game.'

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/04/new_england_patriots_working_over_poorly_run_buffalo_bills_says_colin_cowherd.html

100% right.

What would the media say if Bills signed TD Mike to that deal and then traded him to Pats(w same cap hits) for a 5tth. They would say Pats are geniuses and Bills are low IQ.

The love affair with all things Pats will never end until Brady retires and they stop winning.

This is the most accurate post yet

100% right.

What would the media say if Bills signed TD Mike to that deal and then traded him to Pats(w same cap hits) for a 5tth. They would say Pats are geniuses and Bills are low IQ.

The love affair with all things Pats will never end until Brady retires and they stop winning.

Could it be that MG has actually proven to be a very good player and BB likes him? nah. just keep giving OBD more excuses.

....so if Bflo doesn't match, WHO gets the blame at TBD?

A. McCoach

B. GM Whaley

C. Capologist and Contract Administrator Overdorf

D. Terry Pegula

.....with 72% of precincts reporting, the results are.....

A. 0%

B. 100%

C. 0%

D. 0%

...ABC News has termed this poll as a major upset in TBD Land..................

Why do they need an excuse? They did exactly what they wanted to.

yep. lost a key part to their rushing attack.

A. McCoach

B. GM Whaley

D. Terry Pegula

A. 0%

B. 100%

C. 0%

D. 0%

Someday you'll list reasons why you think Whaley is a good GM instead of the jokes.

And gained a draft asset

A. McCoach

B. GM Whaley

D. Terry Pegula

A. 0%

B. 100%

C. 0%

D. 0%

What a terrible poll, where's Russ?!?!

I agree with everyone who says that we should have put a 2nd Round tender on him in the first place. If the Pats still signed him to the offer sheet (highly unlikely), we'd be in a great spot receiving a 2nd round pick. Most likely, no team would be willing to part with a 2nd round pick for a RB who hasn't been a proven starter and we would have kept him for only $900K more than what we tendered him at. We certainly have $900K with our current cap situation and it would have made a very minor impact on the cap overall. I am generally a Whaley supporter, but I think he bungled this move. Either he underestimated MG's value on the open market, or he truly believes that backup RBs are a dime a dozen and he'd prefer to get a 5th round pick and insert a guy like Jonathan Williams into the backup role. In the playing time that he had, Williams did not demonstrate nearly the same effectiveness as MG, plus he has a drug suspension in his history. You build a successful team by finding and keeping good players without overpaying for them. MG is a good player and placing a 2nd round tender and the additional $900K it would have cost would not have been overpaying, by any stretch.

I know it is crazy to have a 66 page (and growing) thread about a backup RB, but the thread is really more about mismanagement of the roster and salary cap, which is a significant contributor to the poor performance of the team in the last two decades.

Edited by msw2112

Why do they need an excuse? They did exactly what they wanted to.

Not sure about that......If given the choice, I think the Bills would rather have MG than a 5th rounder....just not at that price....I don't think there's any party poppers going off at OBD because we got a pick from NE.....

Someday you'll list reasons why you think Whaley is a good GM instead of the jokes.

One addition to the list would be picking up a RB off of the street and flipping him into a 5th round pick in a very deep draft

Not sure about that......If given the choice, I think the Bills would rather have MG than a 5th rounder....just not at that price....I don't think there's any party poppers going off at OBD because we got a pick from NE.....

If they didn't prefer the pick they would have given him the higher tender

One addition to the list would be picking up a RB off of the street and flipping him into a 5th round pick in a very deep draft

...the Connor kid from Pitt is being tossed around....now with Whaley being a Pitt alumnis, could it..................stay tuned..........

Literraly zero of what you said is true. Availability to perform for your teqm is the only thing. Quit acting as if Sammy Watkins is better than JJ and any other elite wr. He simply isnt his production doesnt say it unless as you have define a small portion of his oft injured career stats. But thats not how it works, you know that, every GM knows it. If it were true Sammys option would be picked up right now.

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about 100% of the time and it's taxing

Literally everything I said is true, and yet somehow, like always, you're making things up for the sake of who knows what? I've given you the benefit of the doubt that, at some point, you'd make a single solitary attempt to make a coherent point on any one subject. It hasn't happened.

You have a single bullet in your arsenal, and that's to deny that the opposing argument is true without even addressing the content.

It's useless, and I apologize to the rest of the board for entertaining your routine this long.