Just saw the movie Draft Day and Cleveland question

Someone on the radio had said it is a movie you'll probably never watch twice (and agree with that) but my son is home from college, we never saw it and thought it would be cool since, you know - 'tis the season...it was cool to see real NFL people in it and we wondered if there is that kind of banter that goes on between player and coach and also GM to GM - probably to some degree, right?

My son looked up that the testing ploy of the coaches to hide a $100 bill in the back of the playbook was loosely based on a coach putting a blank dvd for Jamarcus Russell to study game film and he claimed he watched it (but obviously lied)...

The question is - my son is dealing with a challenging health issue (Crohns Disease/colitis) and we will be traveling out of state to Cleveland (Cleveland Clinic appointments) during the very first 2 days of the NFL draft. We will want to grab dinner and watch with Bills fans if possible.

I looked up Bills Backer bars (none listed in Cleveland) and saw an old thread here from 2004 of where in Cleveland might work (Golden Coins, Harpos, Stampers) but hoping there may be better updated info from anyone?

Love our team but will probably not wear the Sammy Watkins jersey in there - don't need 2 reasons to be at hospital ;-)

I would greatly appreciate if you can let me know if there is any place around there that may be fun to watch.

Thanks.

A good friend down there used to go to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch Bills games. He said there was always a good share of Bills people there. Browns fans don't really have a problem with us, they mainly hate Steelers' fans.....just like we hate on the Pats and their arrogant fans.

Cleveland fans are good fans, as long as you don't make fun of them. The Bills used to have Cleveland Day when they were without a team after the Browns moved to Baltimore. Anyplace you go you should be fine, even wearing Bills gear.

As for Draft Day, I like it and have watched it again. But it's not a "OMG! you gotta see this movie" movie. It's like Second String, if it's on and nothing else is interesting, I'll watch it.

There are a ton of Buffalo people there (including my sister). I don't know where all the Bills fans will be but Townhall is a cool spot. That is where all of the Cavs were watching the World Series. Paninis is always a decent place to watch sports too.

Sorry to hear about your son. I know it won't make it better but the Cleveland Clinic is a phenomenal hospital (as is University). He will get an incredible level of care there.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

A few years ago me and my buddies from work went to Cleveland for a Bills game. All wearing our bills gear, not a single problem.

In fact, most people said they liked the Bills, and rooted for us when they lost their team. Especially during a draft day, it would be a good conversation starter with the people there.

I don't anticipate a problem with the Cleveland fans - since cordial beats confrontation. to that event - when I am at a Bills game - I usually work to be a good will ambassador when sitting by visiting fans - find out where they are traveling from/wish them luck ​with their season (much easier to do when not division rivals).

Certainly it will more fun to watch and root for the pick with other fans though so Very Cool - Thanks All - Buffalo Wild Wings and Townhall sound promising :thumbsup:

Someone on the radio had said it is a movie you'll probably never watch twice (and agree with that) but my son is home from college, we never saw it and thought it would be cool since, you know - 'tis the season...it was cool to see real NFL people in it and we wondered if there is that kind of banter that goes on between player and coach and also GM to GM - probably to some degree, right?

My son looked up that the testing ploy of the coaches to hide a $100 bill in the back of the playbook was loosely based on a coach putting a blank dvd for Jamarcus Russell to study game film and he claimed he watched it (but obviously lied)...

The question is - my son is dealing with a challenging health issue (Crohns Disease/colitis) and we will be traveling out of state to Cleveland (Cleveland Clinic appointments) during the very first 2 days of the NFL draft. We will want to grab dinner and watch with Bills fans if possible.

I looked up Bills Backer bars (none listed in Cleveland) and saw an old thread here from 2004 of where in Cleveland might work (Golden Coins, Harpos, Stampers) but hoping there may be better updated info from anyone?

Love our team but will probably not wear the Sammy Watkins jersey in there - don't need 2 reasons to be at hospital ;-)

I would greatly appreciate if you can let me know if there is any place around there that may be fun to watch.

Thanks.

wear your watkins jersey. as long as you're not running your mouth no one will bother you in 99% of the places you go to other than a silly comment here or there.

if you're wearing a bills stuff and want to instigate all you have to do is say something or mock someone cheering against the Bills and you'll get it started. tis lead to me causing a ruckus in many places.

I'm sorry about your son's medical issues. I hope the Clinic helps him get well soon. They are a fantastic hospital. My son was born there. My daughter was born in their network too.

Draft day is not a great movie. It was okay, but one viewing is plenty. Well known trivia alert!: The only reason it is about the Browns and not the Bills is that Cleveland gave the movie studio a better deal than Buffalo did. The original script had the Bills as the team.

Just don't make fun of Cleveland or the Browns and you'll have a good time. Lots of good places to go and there should be plenty of parties on draft weekend. Pretty much every bar should have it on. The big Browns sponsored event is free and not far from you at all.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/03/browns_will_host_2017_nfl_draf.html

Edited by BarleyNY

Thanks.

there are definitely bills bars in cleveland downtown. when i went there with three friends back about 4 years ago we found 2 of them traveling around downtown , although i dont remember the names of them.

Can you imagine a bills and a browns fan getting in an actual fight over football?

I picture one guy swinging, missing, and clumsily falling down and the other tripping over the body while trying to celebrate. The video of course goes viral via deadspin.

Like, a real fight couldn't happen between followers of these two franchises right?

Edited by NoSaint

Can you imagine a bills and a browns fan getting in an actual fight over football?

I picture one guy swinging, missing, and clumsily falling down and the other tripping over the body while trying to celebrate. The video of course goes viral via deadspin.

Like, a real fight couldn't happen between followers of these two franchises right?

Giants fans have 18-1 for the Pats. Cleveland fans have 6-3 for us. Edited by FireChan

Thanks.

Longtime Bills fan and have had Crohn's for over 25 years. Feel free to DM me. Can't help you with Cleveland. Seen Phish a handful of times there and been to a handful of Indians games but that's it. And of course the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame but that goes without saying.

"My team sucks worse than yours"

"No, we are the most suckiest team in the NFL"

Good luck to your son. And wear your jersey with pride. As long as you are respectful, I've never had a problem wearing my jersey in another NFL city.