WWBBD?

I understand a lot of people don't like BB. He certainly has broken some rules in the past, perhaps more....who knows. That said I still have to think he is the best defensive mind in the game. Sooooo.....

If BB was hired by Buffalo and had to face New England what would he do, what would be his game plan?

I don't think he would bet on pressure. While it's shown it can work when it gets home, it just doesn't get home enough against Brady. I would think he would take a similar approach he took with us back in 1991. Beg you to run the ball. Invite 5-10 yard rushes. Look for the Patriots to get greedy, maybe get some RZ stops with the condensed field, shorten the game. In very isolated spots throw in some mixed packages to keep things off balance. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a 1-4-6 or 1-3-7 with a massive share of defenders dedicated to the short/intermediate passing game. Consensus seems to be you have to get pressure up the middle on Brady. It seems like only the elite defenses have a shot at executing that. Has any team ever really tried to just give New England the run? I mean to an extreme level?

It would be interesting to watch a team like the Patriots run the ball 20 straight times......

Edited by KzooMike

BB has never broken rules. BB knows the rules better than anyone on earth and takes advantage of that knowledge. The Patriots didn't build a dynasty on cheating. They built a dynasty built on being better and smarter than the other 31 teams.

BB has never broken rules. BB knows the rules better than anyone on earth and takes advantage of that knowledge. The Patriots didn't build a dynasty on cheating. They built a dynasty built on being better and smarter than the other 31 teams.

I agree with your premise he is the best coach ever and does exactly what you say regarding knowing and taking advantage of the rules but he absolutely cheated as well. The spygate mess was not within NFL rules.

I understand a lot of people don't like BB. He certainly has broken some rules in the past, perhaps more....who knows. That said I still have to think he is the best defensive mind in the game. Sooooo.....

If BB was hired by Buffalo and had to face New England what would he do, what would be his game plan?

I don't think he would bet on pressure. While it's shown it can work when it gets home, it just doesn't get home enough against Brady. I would think he would take a similar approach he took with us back in 1991. Beg you to run the ball. Invite 5-10 yard rushes. Look for the Patriots to get greedy, maybe get some RZ stops with the condensed field, shorten the game. In very isolated spots throw in some mixed packages to keep things off balance. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a 1-4-6 or 1-3-7 with a massive share of defenders dedicated to the short/intermediate passing game. Consensus seems to be you have to get pressure up the middle on Brady. It seems like only the elite defenses have a shot at executing that. Has any team ever really tried to just give New England the run? I mean to an extreme level?

It would be interesting to watch a team like the Patriots run the ball 20 straight times......

I doubt he'd blitz Brady in order to win that game. Brady is at his best when defenses make decisions easy. He'd pick that apart. BB would lay off of him in a single game and try to control the clock on offense. But if he got to play against Brady a couple of times during the season and again in the playoffs I'd bet he'd punish him. Without Brady the Patriots aren't going anywhere in the playoffs, so he'd do his best to knock him out for that - and he'd even severely "bend" the rules to do it. BB plays the long game when he can.

And cheating.

I agree with your premise he is the best coach ever and does exactly what you say regarding knowing and taking advantage of the rules but he absolutely cheated as well. The spygate mess was not within NFL rules.

This is where my theory of "illness" comes in.

Similar to Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez and Roger Clemens - being the best simply isn't good enough for people like BB and Brady. They can't just be the best. They want to destroy opponents and records. I seriously think it's a mental illness.

This is where my theory of "illness" comes in.

Similar to Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez and Roger Clemens - being the best simply isn't good enough for people like BB and Brady. They can't just be the best. They want to destroy opponents and records. I seriously think it's a mental illness.

I couldn't agree more.

I doubt he'd blitz Brady in order to win that game. Brady is at his best when defenses make decisions easy. He'd pick that apart. BB would lay off of him in a single game and try to control the clock on offense. But if he got to play against Brady a couple of times during the season and again in the playoffs I'd bet he'd punish him. Without Brady the Patriots aren't going anywhere in the playoffs, so he'd do his best to knock him out for that - and he'd even severely "bend" the rules to do it. BB plays the long game when he can.

Thank you for the response to the thread topic. I find it interesting myself. What would the best do against the best. Good point on the situational aspects. In a one game spot I could see him doing something pretty elaborate like he did against us in the Super Bowl. If it was repetitive exposure, I don't disagree with you on his potential strategy. I'm surprised more coaches don't build in 3-4 personal fouls a game against him. I'm not saying intentionally injure the guy. Just hit him, hit him late if you have to a few times, let the chips fall. It's worth the penalties.

He would do the same thing he does every game .... Take your best player out of the game

That's sort of the question being asked. The best player is Tom Brady. How does the best defensive coach of this era defend the best QB of this era, could he? I don't feel BB just rides Tommy's coat tails as many like to think. When Brady hasn't played, NE has still been a playoff caliber team, that is until Brissett? Still, they beat Houston with Brissett before losing to us with an injured Brissett. Then the Matt Cassel year. BB is very good. His coaching tree is solid, Parcells is elite. His attention to detail and ability to get players to buy in and play unselfish football is unrivaled. I wouldn't be shocked if he could slow down his own offense.

Edited by KzooMike

I wouldn't let Edelman, Hogan or Amend old get free release. Try to bump at LOS and beat them up. Double Gronk and make them run against you, trying to get pressure with 4 up front but I would mix it up with a corner blitz every now and then

Thank you for the response to the thread topic. I find it interesting myself. What would the best do against the best. Good point on the situational aspects. In a one game spot I could see him doing something pretty elaborate like he did against us in the Super Bowl. If it was repetitive exposure, I don't disagree with you on his potential strategy. I'm surprised more coaches don't build in 3-4 personal fouls a game against him. I'm not saying intentionally injure the guy. Just hit him, hit him late if you have to a few times, let the chips fall. It's worth the penalties.

Thanks. You posed a great question. BB seems like a guy that would willingly take a regular season loss (or even two) to help get himself a playoff win. I was thinking about Bountygate in NO or how the Ravens played for years. It really wouldn't be a much different situation than those: Dial up defenses to hit Brady, tell your players to do it every chance they got and not to worry about flags. If it's close, hit him.

Bellicheat knows Brady's tendencies and flaws and he knows his offensive lines tendencies and flaws as well. I think he'd pressure Brady unmercifully and he'd know exactly where to bring the pressure from.

He also knows that Brady likes to get the ball out quick so I'd think he'd have Gronk and Edelman jammed at the line to throw off the timing of the play.

They were caught cheating and the NFL burned the evidence.