Buffalo News sports department is a joke

bbb

I just wonder why people who hate these teams hang out here. To let everyone know?

So, no counter-argument?

Is this the Sunshine Bills Fun Club of Hope and Maybe Next Year? No critics allowed?

It's like this; my brother is an ahole most of the time. But I still love him. Apply that logic to our teams. And here we are.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are none. But most can do so without resorting to cheap shots and can be at least somewhat consistent in their critiques. I live in Indy and Bob Kravitz is very tough on the Colts and Pacers. But he doesn't resort to the cheap shots like Sullivan does and he will admit when he changes his stance and explains why, unlike Bucky. Oh, and when he's wrong he'll admit it. Bucky has yet to indicate he was wrong about the McCoy bar incident when he demanded he be released the day after the incident, assuming McCoy's guilt.

It must have been tough for Kravitz to show up for work covering the Colts for all of those years with Manning.

The Buffalo press is like any town with struggling/chronically bad teams. Sports columnists write opinion pieces (this is not "reporting"). When has Sullivan not been consistent in his treatment of the Bills over the past 17 years?

It must have been tough for Kravitz to show up for work covering the Colts for all of those years with Manning.

The Buffalo press is like any town with struggling/chronically bad teams. Sports columnists write opinion pieces (this is not "reporting"). When has Sullivan not been consistent in his treatment of the Bills over the past 17 years?

Actually when the Colts would get to the playoffs so many years and then get knocked out, Kravitz was pretty tough on them. As he was with the owner and his drug issues. As he was with Polian and especially his son Chris. As he is currently with the Pacers. I said above that all towns and their columnists criticize, which apparently you missed.

I will say again, I have absolutely no problem with sports reporters and, more to the point, columnists, being critical of teams. Where I do have a problem is if they resort to cheap shots because they feel personally slighted, or when they are obviously wrong and/or completely change their opinion without either an explanation or acknowledgement of such. To the latter point, I think this short thing by Bucky is opposite to his stance of throwing away the season before. No acknowledgement. And when he basically said McCoy was guilty in the bar incident and called for his dismissal; to this day I have not seen one word from him acknowledging McCoy was found to not be at fault.

As far as Sullivan, I like some of his stuff. As an example, his take on UB's football team recently I thought was very good. But he cannot allow his personal feelings to be set aside when he talks about certain people. His target now is Terry Pegula, and I think it is abundantly clear it stems from when Pegula first bought the Sabres and challenged Sullivan about what he wrote about one of the players in his column. Since then he goes out of his way to throw in his sarcastic comment about the owner in any article he writes about either team. Given that I know he can write critical comments without doing so (as per the UB article), why does he have to do so with Bills/Sabres articles? It strikes me as juvenile behavior.

So, no counter-argument?

Is this the Sunshine Bills Fun Club of Hope and Maybe Next Year? No critics allowed?

It's like this; my brother is an ahole most of the time. But I still love him. Apply that logic to our teams. And here we are.

Again, if it's that hopeless every year why put up with it?

I cant stand Sully. He is beating up the Bills for doing their homework and kicking the tires on the top QB's. Now if the Bills didnt have QB visits, didnt pick one in the draft and one of them because a good starting QB, Sully would be the first one in line to take his shot at the Bills.

I don't even click the links to the BN anymore

I would prefer ZERO opinion pieces form BN.. If I wanted to clean my shotgun while listening to the saddest Country songs ever I could continue to read the BN.. Why would I want to waste my time being brow beaten by an over zealous ax grinding opinionated crapfest

Wow....this thread represents such a fresh take that you hardly have to scrape any mold off of the topic to get to it's molten hotness........

Yes, but without once again thrashing the rotting bones of this old mare we would have been deprived of this wonderful bit of allusion. Thanks! :lol:

No more delusional than those who post on this board year after year thinking this team has turned a corner and going to the playoffs. You can vent all you want about the BN and its writers but .they have not consistently blown drafts, selected lousy head coaches, and mismanaged salaries, Does 1999 sound familiar?

Pegula mismanaged drafts in 1999? You really need to get your head out of the sand.

You think drafting Jack Eichel was mismanagement? If you do - then you really need to get away from Buffalo sports, somehow. Help yourself!

Painting a rosy picture of the two teams would be more of an injustice to the fanbase than what they do now.

What they do now is unconstructively B word with the delusion that they have some special insight... like a reality TV "Housewife." I guess sophomoric name calling and hair pulling over who's right and who's stupid just doesn't amuse me as much as it does some. I'm not a fan of rewarding bad behavior carried on for the sole purpose of getting attention.

What they do now is unconstructively B word with the delusion that they have some special insight... like a reality TV "Housewife." I guess sophomoric name calling and hair pulling over who's right and who's stupid just doesn't amuse me as much as it does some. I'm not a fan of rewarding bad behavior carried on for the sole purpose of getting attention.

I don't like them, but the only way to shut them up is to win. Both organizations make it too easy for them.

Again, if it's that hopeless every year why put up with it?

I'm not "putting up" with anything. This is all sheer entertainment. Kinda like knowing old Godzilla movies are pretty much garbage, but watching them anyways for the schlock value and the laughs.

2-14, or Lombardi Trophy. Either way my life is exactly the same come monday morning.

Define "put up with it".

Some people watch the games from the comfort of their own home simply hoping the team wins but knowing in all likelihood they won't and wait for the day when the Bills prove them wrong.

Once they get eliminated or absolutely suck, I don't watch.

"Put up with it" means coming into every season expecting disaster. Seriously, what joy is there in believing in only doom and gloom? I like football. I'm a Bills fan. I hope they are good every year.

I don't like them, but the only way to shut them up is to win. Both organizations make it too easy for them.

Nothing shuts them up. Sullivan was the same insufferable prick in the 90s when the team was winning that he is now, but because the team was winning it was less noticeable. Unfortunately public consumption of his type of schtick has increased in demand and the team has sucked for an eternity leading to every columnist adopting this approach, resulting in a game of muckraking oneupsmanship that provides little to no insight about Buffalo sports and is therefore of minimal, if any, value, IMO.

You said "Sully's article is totally refuted by Vic's." I asked for you to give both of the quotes, Sully's and the one by Vic that totally refutes it.

If you're not misreporting, it should have been easy to do so. And yet you didn't. So, let me ask again, if you're not misreporting this total refutation you mentioned, what are the specific quotes?

The News doesn't care if you click. Most newspapers and certainly the News are no longer making money by trying to get clicks. If they were, they wouldn't limit people to ten articles per month.

They make their money by people enjoying their stuff and subscribing.

There are plenty of sites on the net that work by a clickbait model. The News simply isn't one of them.

OldManFan, you might want to address the formatting of that post to make clear what words are yours and what are mine.

And I've been on this site longer than I was on the BBMB. They most likely understand me as well as they care to and probably better than you appear to.

I'm not pro-reporter, I'm pro good journalism. There's plenty of crappy reporting out there. There's also plenty of good reporting, and the News is generally quite good.

As for consistency, it makes sense sometimes and not others. When new info comes in, sometimes it makes sense to change your opinion. Emerson said it best. And while it makes total sense to disagree with plenty of these guys opinions, Sully doesn't give a damn that Pegula said something bad about him years ago. Sully has said good and bad things about Pegula depending on what he's doing. Whatever else you wanna say about Sully, he's not real sensitive. He clearly doesn't care if he's insulted.

Sully is saying the Bills are idiots for wasting money (like that matters) by looking at QBs. And, they're idiots for signing Tyrod - because the reasoning was that the draft class for QBs is bad. Now, they're looking at them and furthermore, the Browns might even pick one. Since you want quotes "As usual, the QBs are shooting up the mock drafts. Mel Kiper has Mahomes up to 13. The Browns are thinking of taking Trubisky first overall" ...................And, then two inches over, Vic says:

So the Cleveland Browns just might not select stud edge-rusher Myles Garrett with the top overall pick of the NFL Draft and go with quarterback Mitchell Trubisky instead.

So the Buffalo Bills are taking up-close looks at Trubisky and other QB prospects they could be considering at No. 10.

Welcome to the giant cloud of smoke that permeates throughout the NFL this time of year.

It takes the form of information that might very well be short on truth but long on trying to convince other teams to react in ways that benefit clubs sharing their "intentions." In most cases, the goal is to draw trade interest from a team looking to move up.

Garrett is, by far, the best player in the draft. Seeing him go anywhere but No. 1 is ridiculous. If the Browns could gain more choices and still get a QB, that's a win.

Edited by bbb

"Put up with it" means coming into every season expecting disaster. Seriously, what joy is there in believing in only doom and gloom? I like football. I'm a Bills fan. I hope they are good every year.

"Hope" is what Buffalo sports sells best. I don't buy it.

I buy in for the lulz with the fellas.

...print is dying...pretty sad when you have to write garbage in an attempt to stay relevant..............and even with the garbage being available via real time Internet, the irrelevance of the garbage becomes more evident when compared to multiple sources on the same topic....and people get paid for it...go figure..........

I don't read any of it.

I have my opinion of the team based on what I see and that's that.

That said, it's hard not to criticize anything Bills/Sabres related. They have been so irrelevant and inept the past 10 years or so.... not sure why people get all pissed when the local writers criticize them for sucking. And If you don't like it, don't read it.

If you were referring to the Bills, I definitely agree (and it's been longer than 10 years). But the Sabres won the President's Cup in '07 as the team with the best record in the entire NHL, and made it to the conference finals that year. They were one of the best teams in the NHL 2 years in a row.

They were also 1st in the northeast in 09'/'10 and made the quarterfinals, then finished 3rd in the northeast in '10/'11 and made it to the playoff quarterfinals again. I'd hardly call that irrelevant and inept (IMO anyway).

If you want to say the Sabres have been irrelevant the past 5 years or so, I'd agree...

Edited by BillsFan4

It always makes me laugh when people blast the sports analysts, if you don't like them, don't click on them , the more you guys click on them for good or bad they will always be employed. Not a fan of Sullivan or Gleason so I don't click on their articles...... If you or anyone else that don't like him stop also then he will eventually go away.

It always makes me laugh when people blast the sports analysts, if you don't like them, don't click on them , the more you guys click on them for good or bad they will always be employed. Not a fan of Sullivan or Gleason so I don't click on their articles...... If you or anyone else that don't like him stop also then he will eventually go away.

I've been reading the paper, the real paper, every day for almost 50 years. I'm not going to stop. And, I'm not to not complain when I see something as stupid as I just saw yesterday.