steelers owner dan rooney dead at 84

boyst

I live in Pittsburgh, he never was as revered as his old man, but he carried on the legacy. The full story of the 70 steelers is never truly told unless you bring steroids into the conversation, which nobody around here will ever acknowledge.

I live in Pittsburgh, he never was as revered as his old man, but he carried on the legacy. The full story of the 70 steelers is never truly told unless you bring steroids into the conversation, which nobody around here will ever acknowledge.

...pretty hard to top Papa Art......this pretty much typifies his legacy, cigar and all.......

...."often referred to as "The Chief", was the founding owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, an American football franchise in the National Football League (NFL), from 1933 until his death. Rooney is a member of the NFL Hall of Fame, was an Olympic qualifying boxer, and was part or whole owner in several track sport venues and Pittsburgh area pro-teams. He was the first president of the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1933 to 1974, and the first chairman of the team from 1933 to 1988"....

Does anymore know the difference between Steelers and Bills fans? Jim Kelly lost 4 Super Bowls, and he is a god in WNY, Bradshaw won 4 Super Bowls and they ran him out of town because he had the audacity to get old. That's why Bradshaw didn't come back here for years, hell, he didn't even come back for Art Rooney's funeral.

This had nothing to do with Dan was before his time, but all the coaches you mention were hired since around 1970. What about before that? If I remember right, they may have been the only team in the NFL who had never won a championship, and that was when there were only about 10 to 12 teams in the league. Certainly the bad years were all on Art, maybe when Dan got involved things were straightened out? Last 50 year, they've been a model organization, prior to that, not so good.

What a legacy. Just think of the coaches he hired: Noll, cowher, Tomlin. He has the Rooney rule, which is proving to be successful. And then oversaw a perennial winner.