I do not trade out of #10 if this guy is still there, is...

At number 10 the Buffalo Bills pick

Ruben Foster/OJ Howard Out of Ala.

OR - Derek Barnett .

This guy broke Reggie Whites sack record at Tenn. just to be put in the same sentence as Reggie is saying something let alone braking his record, he could be the next BRUUUCE !!

I think any one of these guys will be day one starters & can make a huge difference on game day for the Bills !!

Finally somebody besides me gives Barnett credit.

He's an animal and my no matter what pick.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mahomes throwing off his back foot will get the ball there before Watson stepping into a throw with all his might.

The reason i mentioned mechanics... he'll get it - "somewhere" faster than Watson. Will it be the receivers hands? The ground? The sideline? The other team's hands?

Edited by dneveu

The reason i mentioned mechanics... he'll get it - "somewhere" faster than Watson. Will it be the receivers hands? The ground? The sideline? The other team's hands?

Yes. That's the great thing about Mahomes. Very accurate even when his footwork is sloppy. For average NFL throwers mechanics are critical because if they don't step into a throw it's a flutter ball. Mahomes has such elite arm talent that the Cossell treatment doesn't work.

Edited by jeffismagic

Yes. That's the great thing about Mahomes. Very accurate even when his footwork is sloppy. For average NFL throwers mechanics are critical because if they don't step into a throw it's a flutter ball. Mahomes has such elite arm talent that the Cossell treatment doesn't work.

The windup, the feet, holding the ball low, throwing off his back foot... these things all lead to turnovers. You have to think anyone drafting him is going to at least explore fixing these things. In addition to ya know, calling plays in the huddle and using an NFL playbook, no-huddle, snaps from under center....

He is a project. A very interesting project because of his improvisation and huge arm. He seems to have a pretty natural ability to scramble, and see pressure which is good. And his eyes are downfield which is good.

Edited by dneveu

Are you aware that no QB has been timed under 55 MPH at the combine in years and Watson was timed at 49? He throws the slowest football of any QB to come out in years and no successful QB has thrown under 55 at the combine since its inception. Is this concerning to you or anyone? It sounded a bit alarming to me. I feel like it's more significant than the annual hand size debate.

That's not true. QBs time under 55 regularly. Of the 8 that were timed at the Combine this year, 3 were under 55. Kaaya and Peterman were clocked at 53. Watson's low velocity of 49 is rarely seen though. That's the rarity you're thinking of. There have been some players you've never heard of clock lower, but the last notable QBs that threw at 49 were Mike Glennon and AJ McCarron. Notably, AJ wasn't timed at the Combine and it was adjusted to 53 though I'm not sure why. Here's a link to a spreadsheet that includes this data:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_-SienfT3umX0HKxRyQqyXM9BqHrotdcQA6W-V_pDiY/htmlview?pli=1#

No we don't. What did Teddy throw at the combine? Matt Ryan? Matt Stafford? Andrew Luck? Sam Bradford? Ryan Tannehill? Derek Carr? Not to mention the 100 other backups, there are 7 NFL starters where we have no data. That's a significant chunk of the league, and closer to half of all semi-successful or higher QB's in the NFL. So that's quite enough of "we have the numbers." Half of the decent starters of the NFL ain't sufficient.

You sounded quite concerned.

There is no doubt that Watson does not have a huge arm. There is no way his arm is worse than Brees or Bridgewater though. Watson has shown the ability to make all the throws on tape, he has outstanding ball placement on short and intermediate throws. He gets the ball out quick with anticipation which may make up for his lack of arm strength. You see the same thing with Drew Brees.

His arm strength passes the eye test.

http://pass2win.com/ball-velocity-exposing-the-power-qb.html

Here is a good article on ball velocity. I think it is a pretty useless metric. There are not many good Qbs on this list, it shows no good QBs with a ball velocity of above 57mph and below 53mph. They did mention Drew Brees was around 52mph (in the NFL) which mean he was probably around 50mph or less when entering the NFL. I see Watson as a comparable touch thrower to Brees when he was coming out. Although, Watson had a better college career which is why he will go in the first round and not the second round.

Edited by billspro

The windup, the feet, holding the ball low, throwing off his back foot... these things all lead to turnovers. You have to think anyone drafting him is going to at least explore fixing these things. In addition to ya know, calling plays in the huddle and using an NFL playbook, no-huddle, snaps from under center....

He is a project. A very interesting project because of his improvisation and huge arm. He seems to have a pretty natural ability to scramble, and see pressure which is good. And his eyes are downfield which is good.

People complained about how high Aaron Rodgers held the ball when he came out. Packers fixed that "flaw" in 5 minutes.

There is no doubt that Watson does not have a huge arm. There is no way is arm is worse than Brees or Bridgewater though. Watson has shown the ability to make all the throws on tape, he has outstanding ball placement on short and intermediate throws. He gets the ball out quick with anticipation which may make up for his lack of arm strength. You see the same thing with Drew Brees.

His arm strength passes the eye test.

http://pass2win.com/ball-velocity-exposing-the-power-qb.html

Here is a good article on ball velocity. I think it is a pretty useless metric. There are not many good Qbs on this list, it shows no good QBs with a ball velocity of above 57mph and below 53mph. The did mention Drew Brees was around 52mph which mean he was probably around 50mph or less when entering the NFL. I see Watson as a comparable touch thrower to Brees when he was coming out. Although, Watson had a better college career which is why he will go in the first round and not the second round.

I agree with you in that a QB's ball velocity isn't the be-all-end-all stat. But i disagree on how you're applying that to Watson. His game velocity raises questions IMO. It didn't look like a 49, but it did look marginal for the NFL. Brees is an odd comp to make to say Watson should be a first rounder because he was a second round pick. Also I don't see it as a slight to a QB to say you think he's a top of the second round player. Brees fell to 33 because he was short, lacked velocity and had an injury plagued senior season. I had a young coworker who had just finished at Purdue and came to work with us. His gf was still there for her senior year. She was one of the team's trainers. His back was messed up that season. That certainly affected his throwing his senior season.

So how does that compare with Watson? Well, first I'd look at differences. Watson is taller and far more athletic than Brees. But Brees is much, much more accurate. Accuracy would be a concern of mine with Watson even if his velocity was sitting at 55, but combined those two are a killer. The weaker a QB's arm, the more accurate he must be and Watson hasn't shown that he has that accuracy. I'll throw in a caveat to some of this, however. What if Watson isn't quite right physically or there is a correctable mechanical flaw that could be fixed that would improve his velocity and/or accuracy? That's what I don't know. It would probably change my opinion that he's a prospect that deserves to go at the top of the second round though. But from what I've seen so far and what I know, that's where he belongs.

I agree with you in that a QB's ball velocity isn't the be-all-end-all stat. But i disagree on how you're applying that to Watson. His game velocity raises questions IMO. It didn't look like a 49, but it did look marginal for the NFL. Brees is an odd comp to make to say Watson should be a first rounder because he was a second round pick. Also I don't see it as a slight to a QB to say you think he's a top of the second round player. Brees fell to 33 because he was short, lacked velocity and had an injury plagued senior season. I had a young coworker who had just finished at Purdue and came to work with us. His gf was still there for her senior year. She was one of the team's trainers. His back was messed up that season. That certainly affected his throwing his senior season.

So how does that compare with Watson? Well, first I'd look at differences. Watson is taller and far more athletic than Brees. But Brees is much, much more accurate. Accuracy would be a concern of mine with Watson even if his velocity was sitting at 55, but combined those two are a killer. The weaker a QB's arm, the more accurate he must be and Watson hasn't shown that he has that accuracy. I'll throw in a caveat to some of this, however. What if Watson isn't quite right physically or there is a correctable mechanical flaw that could be fixed that would improve his velocity and/or accuracy? That's what I don't know. It would probably change my opinion that he's a prospect that deserves to go at the top of the second round though. But from what I've seen so far and what I know, that's where he belongs.

I agree with what your saying, ideally Watson is a second round prospect. I do think he will go in round 1 though. I would only draft him if my coaches were comfortable they could improve his velocity with mechanics as well. I don't think the Bills will draft him, he would probably do better in a dome environment like Houston. The ball velocity could be an issue in our stadium but a non-issue in a dome stadium. I just think when you take in the whole picture Watson is still a good prospect even with the low velocity.

Haasan Reddick is a hell of a football player. Would also have a tough time passing on Foster.

All of a sudden, everybody is OK with Tyrod?

I've always been OK with Taylor.

Adams/Foster/Reddick are my guys

I agree with what your saying, ideally Watson is a second round prospect. I do think he will go in round 1 though. I would only draft him if my coaches were comfortable they could improve his velocity with mechanics as well. I don't think the Bills will draft him, he would probably do better in a dome environment like Houston. The ball velocity could be an issue in our stadium but a non-issue in a dome stadium. I just think when you take in the whole picture Watson is still a good prospect even with the low velocity.

Agreed. I could see the Bills jumping up into the bottom of the 1st for him. With QB needy teams at the top of the second round and some teams with aging QBs at the bottom of the first, that'd make sense - with the caveat that they think they could improve his velocity and/or accuracy. I also agree that the Bills aren't really a great fit. Both the weather here and the kind of offense being run. If we are willing to tailor the offense to him and run more of a WCO with him, then that might be a different story. I just don't see him doing well in a vertical offense.