Marshawn Watch, Currently at Raiders facility

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Lynch isn't a bad guy but he came into the league not realizing that his ghetto sensibility doesn't fly with suburban white folks.

For example..... in the ghetto, if you pass out drunk at a party and your wallet gets stolen........that's on you.

In white suburbia.......that's a crime......police call, interviews, orifice swabs, charges etc..

His behavior in Buffalo was very consistent with these kinds of disconnects........from taking that $20 to bringing his own booze to clubs to hitting that girl with the mirror of his car and knocking her down and not stopping.....in the ghetto that is all funny, no-harm no-foul stuff that happens at the expense of dumbasses who let it.

I think he finally realized that sh*t wasn't going to fly ANYWHERE outside of the 'hood and he wasn't changing.......so he just shut it down.

While I won't paint with a broad stroke and say his "ghetto" personality clashed with "suburban white folks", I think it came down to trust.

Marshawn has always been huge on this. If he respects you, enjoys your company, trusts your friendship, he will do anything for you. If that trust is violated, you are dead to him I think he felt trust was violated following his first two years and was publicly never the same. When local cops are busting your balls for playing loud music at the music and about having pit bulls, local media is writing scathing articles about you and the fans are telling you to "hit the bricks", it's not surprising why he has changed.

While I won't paint with a broad stroke and say his "ghetto" personality clashed with "suburban white folks", I think it came down to trust.

Marshawn has always been huge on this. If he respects you, enjoys your company, trusts your friendship, he will do anything for you. If that trust is violated, you are dead to him I think he felt trust was violated following his first two years and was publicly never the same. When local cops are busting your balls for playing loud music at the music and about having pit bulls, local media is writing scathing articles about you and the fans are telling you to "hit the bricks", it's not surprising why he has changed.

I'm afraid you are over-thinking it. The trust issue is simply that he doesn't trust you unless you accept him for how he is. He ain't changing for anyone.

And no sooner did I post that take then he swatted a phone out of some kid's hand in LA international airport for shooting video of him. :doh::lol:

Like I said......Lynch is not a bad guy by nature nor has he been prone to mood swings or fights or anything that would suggest he's out of control........but his rules of engagement are 100% ghetto.

I grew up around this........I've seen some hilariously inappropriate sh*t done by otherwise good-hearted people that is considered by them completely fair game............but would simply would not fly in suburban white society.

Marshawn may be wealthy but he would DEFINITELY show up at a brutha's funeral with a cane and a limp like all the other guys that thought the widow might hit them up for some $.....and nobody there would think any less of him for the charade.

Most athletes adapt to what's expected of them in their adopted communities.......but Marshawn simply does not change how he treats people........some people consider that a strength of his but it really hurt him in Buffalo.

I'm afraid you are over-thinking it. The trust issue is simply that he doesn't trust you unless you accept him for how he is. He ain't changing for anyone.

And no sooner did I post that take then he swatted a phone out of some kid's hand in LA international airport for shooting video of him. :doh::lol:

Like I said......Lynch is not a bad guy by nature nor has he been prone to mood swings or fights or anything that would suggest he's out of control........but his rules of engagement are 100% ghetto.

I grew up around this........I've seen some hilariously inappropriate sh*t done by otherwise good-hearted people that is considered by them completely fair game............but would simply would not fly in suburban white society.

Marshawn may be wealthy but he would DEFINITELY show up at a brutha's funeral with a cane and a limp like all the other guys that thought the widow might hit them up for some $.....and nobody there would think any less of him for the charade.

Most athletes adapt to what's expected of them in their adopted communities.......but Marshawn simply does not change how he treats people........some people consider that a strength of his but it really hurt him in Buffalo.

He certainly goes to the beat of his own drum, and it's no surprise he clashed with the Buffalo vibe.

WNY is far more complex than "white suburban". Manufacturing roots, salt of the earth personalities, a region with a "chip on the shoulder" for decades of national slights, occasional simpleton thinking, ongoing recovery from a "brain drain". I'll always love it, but I can see how some people can get turned off by it fairly easily.

I think that both of you guys are overthinking this. Marshwan Lynch's biggest problem is the fact that he isn't very intelligent. The reason most other players "adapt" is simply because they are at least slightly more intelligent than Lynch.

I think that both of you guys are overthinking this. Marshwan Lynch's biggest problem is the fact that he isn't very intelligent. The reason most other players "adapt" is simply because they are at least slightly more intelligent than Lynch.

I don't think he's dumb. I do think he gets that he can do whatever he decides will make him happiest and screw the rules. Sometimes the optics in that are great other times terrible.

I think he was simply out of place culturally, still young/immature and in a city that wasn't ready for him.

It's also unusual for local police and star players to end up adversarial like they did which really made for a bad situation even ignoring the hit and run.

I don't think he's dumb. I do think he gets that he can do whatever he decides will make him happiest and screw the rules. Sometimes the optics in that are great other times terrible.

I think he was simply out of place culturally, still young/immature and in a city that wasn't ready for him.

It's also unusual for local police and star players to end up adversarial like they did which really made for a bad situation even ignoring the hit and run.

I don't think it was this simple either and I don't think he was done. By a lot of accounts, Lynch was fine here socially. He brought his whole family to WNY. He just did some really dumb things. If you are probably driving drunk and hit someone, you are going to get in trouble. If you are bringing your whole alcohol to bars, people are going to talk (he said it was because places didn't have henny).

Lynch isn't as dumb as he seems but he just made dumb mistakes here. Plus, when the team kinda sucks, you lose focus. He went to a better team and grew up a little bit.

I don't think it was this simple either and I don't think he was done. By a lot of accounts, Lynch was fine here socially. He brought his whole family to WNY. He just did some really dumb things. If you are probably driving drunk and hit someone, you are going to get in trouble. If you are bringing your whole alcohol to bars, people are going to talk (he said it was because places didn't have henny).

Lynch isn't as dumb as he seems but he just made dumb mistakes here. Plus, when the team kinda sucks, you lose focus. He went to a better team and grew up a little bit.

The hit and run is obviously something that complicates our discussions-- it brought him a lot of negative attention and it's obvious that he disengages from situations like that.

But outside of that there was a lot of chatter about him and the police at odds. He and his family members feeling like they were getting extra attention etc...

And frankly even the alcohol thing I don't think gets him beat up in a lot of other markets. His presence is worth way more to most bars than a bar tab or two

He was doing his thing and it didn't fit into the local norms. He didn't like the attention it got him. Ultimately it's his choices and all... but I'm not sure how much he grew up in Seattle vs the city just not being as adversarial (he still had an arrest, still had his "unique" social patterns at times but we never heard about the police focusing on him extra or had fans calling him out on every little thing)

I understand your points. I was really just using the stupid is as stupid does theory. Lynch has done a lot of dumb things. Due to this it's difficult for me to say that he's intelligent. There are a lot of guys with similar upbringings to Lynch in the league. Most of them avoid getting caught doing such dumb things.

The hit and run is obviously something that complicates our discussions-- it brought him a lot of negative attention and it's obvious that he disengages from situations like that.

But outside of that there was a lot of chatter about him and the police at odds. He and his family members feeling like they were getting extra attention etc...

And frankly even the alcohol thing I don't think gets him beat up in a lot of other markets. His presence is worth way more to most bars than a bar tab or two

He was doing his thing and it didn't fit into the local norms. He didn't like the attention it got him. Ultimately it's his choices and all... but I'm not sure how much he grew up in Seattle vs the city just not being as adversarial (he still had an arrest, still had his "unique" social patterns at times but we never heard about the police focusing on him extra or had fans calling him out on every little thing)

People with intelligence can understand where their "social norms" are acceptable vs where they are not. You learn to adjust accordingly. Grabbing money off a table at Applebee's or wherever that happened shows very poor decision making. If you're saying that he didn't understand it was socially unacceptable than he isn't the brightest crayon in the box.

I understand your points. I was really just using the stupid is as stupid does theory. Lynch has done a lot of dumb things. Due to this it's difficult for me to say that he's intelligent. There are a lot of guys with similar upbringings to Lynch in the league. Most of them avoid getting caught doing such dumb things. People with intelligence can understand where their "social norms" are acceptable vs where they are not. You learn to adjust accordingly. Grabbing money off a table at Applebee's or wherever that happened shows very poor decision making. If you're saying that he didn't understand it was socially unacceptable than he isn't the brightest crayon in the box.

You've confused intelligence with giving a f**k . He doesn't . Lynch is not stupid.

I understand your points. I was really just using the stupid is as stupid does theory. Lynch has done a lot of dumb things. Due to this it's difficult for me to say that he's intelligent. There are a lot of guys with similar upbringings to Lynch in the league. Most of them avoid getting caught doing such dumb things.

People with intelligence can understand where their "social norms" are acceptable vs where they are not. You learn to adjust accordingly. Grabbing money off a table at Applebee's or wherever that happened shows very poor decision making. If you're saying that he didn't understand it was socially unacceptable than he isn't the brightest crayon in the box.

I'll echo the sentiment that he probably didn't care that much rather than didn't know better.... but after it piling up he ended up frustrated.

Dude lives in a whole different world of his own and that amplifies out even more in buffalo. Both what he was raised in and that he was a 22 yr old multimillionaire dropped into a blue collar small city a million miles from home.

I'm not excusing his choices as much as saying he's a fascinating character and case study if you get past "what an idiot." Dude is higher IQ than his detractors give him credit for but definitely has more issues than his fans like to acknowledge

I'll echo the sentiment that he probably didn't care that much rather than didn't know better.... but after it piling up he ended up frustrated.

Dude lives in a whole different world of his own and that amplifies out even more in buffalo. Both what he was raised in and that he was a 22 yr old multimillionaire dropped into a blue collar small city a million miles from home.

I'm not excusing his choices as much as saying he's a fascinating character and case study if you get past "what an idiot." Dude is higher IQ than his detractors give him credit for but definitely has more issues than his fans like to acknowledge

It's just difficult for me to believe that someone who grabs money off a table at Applebee's is smart. His interviews would also indicate otherwise. I'm not trying to pick on the guy. I just don't understand how everyone has determined he is intelligent. Everything he says and does indicate otherwise.

The majority of NFL players grew up in urban environments. As pro athletes the majority of them choose to live in the suburbs. Based on your theory this would mean that every NFL player would be getting in trouble due to cultural misunderstandings. The majority of NFL players don't steal money at Applebee's or run people over. Marshawn Lynch is responsible for every problem that Marshawn Lynch has had. Blaiming them on cultural differences just seems absurd to me.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I really enjoyed seeing Marshawn on the Bear Grylls' Running Wild program. That was a very gutsy thing for Marshawn to do, since he could have been at home chillin' on the couch. On the show, he rappelled down mountains and such, and had to face some fears. Pretty cool stuff.

I really like the guy, and hope he gets to play with the Raiders this year.