McCoach took 7 franchise greats out to dinner this week

Here is is my thing.

Mr Wilson was reluctant to spend money in the Front Office and perhaps such areas as scouting et al. It was a business. Lets no one be fooled by that. No knock on Ralph at all.

Pegula is seemingly a 180Deg turn. In regard to the business side at least.

and learning to hit the Curve balls because he is known to hit the Fastball hard.

McCoach is likely going to need our patience. But he is a fresh breeze for me.

I have a friend who had another friend who was a long time Bills employee in the 80's and 90's, and he had a theory why Ralph ran a cheap ship. Mind you I have no evidence of this.

He claimed that Ralph mortgaged the Bills to draw the equity out while he was alive and he had massive interest payments to make annually. The loans would be paid when the team was sold. Of course the Pegulas record bid not only covered his loans but left his estate with hundreds of millions more. (Which now fund the RWS Foundation.)

Like I said, I have no proof other than this guy's story.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who had another friend who was a long time Bills employee in the 80's and 90's, and he had a theory why Ralph ran a cheap ship. Mind you I have no evidence of this.

He claimed that Ralph mortgaged the Bills to draw the equity out while he was alive and he had massive interest payments to make annually. The loans would be paid when the team was sold. Of course the Pegulas record bid not only covered his loans but left his estate with hundreds of millions more. (Which now fund the RWS Foundation.)

i have no friends. so hard to discount this story. But It is not too hard to see Ralph lovin is Bills but still being business wiser.

If the pegula bit is true, I would be pretty okay with that.

Go Bills

This could very well be true.

Also, I remember reading a news article from many years ago that stated Ralph Wilson said it wasn't financially feasible for him to field a Super Bowl caliber team. Something like even during the SB years he wasn't making enough money off the team, or something along those lines. So he started making cuts to the front office, coaching and scouting pay rolls.

I just tried quickly searching google for the article but didn't see it. I know it's on the internet somewhere, but it'd take some searching for me to find it. If anyone knows the article I'm referring to and has a link, please post it.

Wasn't the Foundation contribution to WNY and Detroit causes almost as much as the purchase price? Within a couple hundred million? I have no idea, but that math doesn't seem to work. I could be wrong, as always.

• 2 weeks later...

This has me thinking that the Pegulas should create a "Wall of Fame Advisory Committee." Every living player on the wall will be part of the committee. The Pegulas would meet with the committee 2 or 3 times per year to get their input.

Needless to say, there would be no requirement for the Pegulas to follow the recommendations they receive from the committee. The advisory committee would hardly be the Pegulas' only source of advice and information.

But it would be another good source and nice way to show respect for Bills alumni.

Edited by hondo in seattle

@jayskurski

[bN] Blitz: Part of the family: #Bills coach Sean McDermott took seven franchise greats out to dinner Tuesday.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/05/sean-mcdermott-invited-seven-franchise-greats-dinner-tuesday/

@bytimgraham

As one Bills legend texted to me, McDermott is the first coach to make this gesture.

To be followed by a Timmah cheap shot on Whaley. Give it a rest, Graham.

This has me thinking that the Pegulas should create a "Wall of Fame Advisory Committee." Every living player on the wall will be part of the committee. The Pegulas would meet with the committee 2 or 3 times per year to get their input.

Needless to say, their would be no requirement for the Pegulas to follow the recommendations they receive from the committee. The advisory committee would hardly be the Pegulas' only source of advice and information.

But it would be another good source and nice way to show respect for Bills alumni.

We have enough for Hall of Fame. We need the opposite - floor of toilet for names starting with Buffalo News writers, etc with a portapotty dumped on it each year.

No opinion on him until I see his game time decisions. I coached for 17 years and some of the greatest guys nutted up as head man when it was 4th and 2 in the fourth qtr. Not trying to be negative but the goal is to be competent at his job. So far he looks professional at "all the other stuff that don't meant to nothing", as a colleague once after said after we saw an interview with our HC. I sure hope this guy is up to the task. tired of wearing this :bag: on Mondays

Much respect to Bruce but I don't want anyone from the 90s teams advising the team today

its a fine line.

im down for one of them giving a pre-game talk before the season opener --- but i dont particularly want them in the room day in and day out. theres a balance to be had with maximizing resources, but not overstepping boundaries. hopefully all end up on the same page with what can sometimes be a tricky relationship.

Being a great player once doesn't automatically make you a font of knowledge.

True enough.

But the collective wisdom of all the Wall of Fame players (of the 7 in that room) does amount to something.

Sometimes it's good to get a knowledgeable outside opinion.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Seems interesting in context of today's actions....wonder if Jim and Thurman have been in Terry's ear as well.