How important r Canadian fans to the survival of the Bills?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a life-long Bills fan and a Canadian, I say A) very important. Perhaps my bias is strong, but I have spent an inordinate amount of $ buying merchandise and traveling to games across your beautiful country to follow the team I love. That makes me a key contributor to the NFL, and Buffalo Bills, financial machine. We may not live in the B'lo, but we are a passionate bunch and appreciate you allowing us to join you in fan-dom.

I don't know, how important is nearly 20 percent of any business's ticket buying base? Seems very significant no matter how you slice it.

Definitely important, although I think if the Bills were consistently in the playoffs or playoff races every year they could sell the stadium out no problem.

Definitely important, although I think if the Bills were consistently in the playoffs or playoff races every year they could sell the stadium out no problem.

I'd like to believe that, but past history suggests that even when the Bills were perennial playoff teams in the late 80s - mid 90s, there were plenty of nonsellouts, including playoffs, like the Houston comeback game for instance. Especially in late season, crappy weather games. Yes, the seating capacity was higher back then (at one time it was over 80,000 and second only to Detroit when they played in the Silverdome). Winning cures a lot of ills, but fan complacency isn't always one of them. The Canadian fan base, while always strong, grew stronger as the regional marketing strategy unfolded in the late 90s and is a very important segment.

I'd sure like to test that wining theory though. Would be nice.

NO fans are important to the modern NFL. It's all about coprporate sponsors,tv deals, etc. The NFL doesn't really care if stadiums are full on Sundays. We still have a team because Pegula is dedicated to this region. The money isn't made by how many fans buy tickets. It's determined by other factors. That's why so many of us were worried about losing the team. It's not about the number of fans, it's about the corporate world.

NO fans are important to the modern NFL. It's all about coprporate sponsors,tv deals, etc. The NFL doesn't really care if stadiums are full on Sundays. We still have a team because Pegula is dedicated to this region. The money isn't made by how many fans buy tickets. It's determined by other factors. That's why so many of us were worried about losing the team. It's not about the number of fans, it's about the corporate world.

This is true to a large extent, especially with regard to the types of ticket sales that generate non shared revenue.

Like someone said, its a huge UNTAPPED market. It is great that Pegulas have built successful businesses, and it is crucial to tapping this market. BUT, this is where Pegulas do NOT have expertise in - CONSUMER MARKETING. They have to build the brand image of the Bills in Canada. Part of it is yes winning. but there are other ways to build brand image. At the moment, due to lack of success, and poor face of franchise players, Bills just haven't had that success in building that brand.

For one, I think Shady will be very marketable in Southern Ontario. But there's no marketing. Two - downtown stadium will be crucial. As is, the drive from any of the bridges to Orchard Park adds to the pain. Add the game day traffic. Nope. it's nice and warm in the basement or the at the sports bar. There is a HUGE corporate market in Toronto. They are fools in not having tapped it. The stadium, the team, the facilities as is, just won't do in selling to that market.

So yes there is the potential untapped market that can increase the value of the Bills' franchise. But its marketing has not been done well at all. Pegulas will do well in tapping some Canadian sports marketing execs in this regard. Toronto based pro teams have done well maximizing revenue generation. They are available for hire.

If you combine the western NY population and Souther Ontario population The Bills have one of the largest markets in the NFL. Alll Bill fans are important. Very silly question.

That is pretty silly, are you including Toronto because they largely are not Bills fans. If we include NYC then the Bills have one of the largest markets too but there is nothing real about that just like there is nothing real about including Toronto. The Toronto series had as many fans of the other teams as it did BIlls fans.

The answer to the question is still A since there are a significant amount of die hard Bills fans over the border, the count as much as someone from the states.