Uber finally coming to Buffalo this summer

YoloinOhio

thanks guys. i thought that was the case, but someone i spoke to was pretty insistent that they were going to be delayed. also interesting that uber is adding a tip option. both are downloaded on my phone.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys. i thought that was the case, but someone i spoke to was pretty insistent that they were going to be delayed. also interesting that uber is adding a tip option. both are downloaded on my phone.

I remember hearing that it might be delayed two weekw after the June 29th start for Uber? But I think that's it.

Serious question for you and anyone else (yes I know I can read articles, but I'm looking for more personal opinions). What makes Uber and Lyft so great over taxi's? Personally I've never really used either and only a taxi a few times in my life, so what is the big draw that makes it better than a cab?

Last time I was in Buffalo - I waited almost an hour for a cab to show up. No competition equals cappy service. In SOCAL - I get an Uber in under 10 minutes and far cheaper.

I wish all the Uber and Lyft drivers in NYC would go away.

They gum up the roads. These are people who probably shouldn't be driving themselves around the city, let alone trolling around cluelessly looking for their fare, or where to drop them off. The roads are bad enough with regular cab drivers without adding these people to the mix. It is a very noticeable change for the worse.

Could they drop you at Genesee & Dick Rd.?

They can...but damn that's a hike.

I do this a lot with Uber...say going to an event and there is surge pricing, I will look for a dropoff point maybe 4 blocks away and the surge pricing goes away.

NFTA announced yesterday that there would be a $3.50 fee for every drop off and pick-up done by Uber or Lyft on airport property, so Lyft just said they're pulling out of Buffalo:

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/lyft-we-wont-operate-in-buffalo-with-airport-fees-uber-ridesharing-/451536571

I do not believe there is any way realistically for them to charge drop-offs. How do they know a drop-off is a Uber or Lyft driver?

I have encountered that attitude when I was travelling and picked up by a private shuttle (unidentified by logo on it). When the airport line manager (who was also working for taxi company ) tried to say something I asked where in the law does it prevent coworkers from picking me up when on business trip? Fortunately I was told ahead of time type of car and license plate.

Could they drop you at Genesee & Dick Rd.?

Just have them do so at one of hotels across street. Rarely do hotels check reservations when bringing passengers from airport.

wow

What's NFTA? This is not unheard of, Uber/Lyft pay that exact fee to massport for every pick up or drop of done at Logan. The city also gets 10 cents on every ride giving in the greater Boston area, supposedly that 10 cent cut goes to the taxi companies.

Uber/Lyft are getting pushed around pretty hard now. I heard SF has some big studies going on to see how ridesharing has negatively impacted the traffic situation.

What's NFTA? This is not unheard of, Uber/Lyft pay that exact fee to massport for every pick up or drop of done at Logan. The city also gets 10 cents on every ride giving in the greater Boston area, supposedly that 10 cent cut goes to the taxi companies.

Uber/Lyft are getting pushed around pretty hard now. I heard SF has some big studies going on to see how ridesharing has negatively impacted the traffic situation.

SF needs to look at how their insistence on reducing lanes for cars by installing bike lanes all over the city has negatively impacted the traffic situation there or STFU!!

If SF wants to call me about how it has negatively impacted NYC traffic, I will charge a nominal consultation fee just for the chance to vent.

SF needs to look at how their insistence on reducing lanes for cars by installing bike lanes all over the city has negatively impacted the traffic situation there or STFU!!

I'm way more concerned about being run over by a bike than a car walking through SoMa. Or one of those douchebags on the balance wheel things.

I do not believe there is any way realistically for them to charge drop-offs. How do they know a drop-off is a Uber or Lyft driver?

I have encountered that attitude when I was travelling and picked up by a private shuttle (unidentified by logo on it). When the airport line manager (who was also working for taxi company ) tried to say something I asked where in the law does it prevent coworkers from picking me up when on business trip? Fortunately I was told ahead of time type of car and license plate.

Just have them do so at one of hotels across street. Rarely do hotels check reservations when bringing passengers from airport.

There is an uber pick up area at NY NY in Vegas. (Which I didn't know existed.) The app showed that the guy was pulling up so I stepped out and flagged him down 50ft from the "Uber" area. Guy running the taxi scam wasn't very happy and yelled "FFS uber over there." I said I'm here.....he's here I'm getting in, sorry you aren't getting a kickback, but too bad! Later! 😃

Also what's the big problem tipping with uber? I just give the guy some cash!

Edited by thebug

The 50 cent difference was that big? Geez

Yeah. They were pissing and moaning that BFLo was the highest fee... Yet, who gets an average of 100" of snow a year... Roads gotta be plowed, more wear and tear on maintenance, infrastructure with harder freeze/thaw, wet conditions. Yeah, I can see WNY being a higher rate than a vast number of areas, just on infrastructure maintenance & repair only.

Seems like they are shoe horning BFLo into a one-size-fits-all price. BFLo already makes do with the least amount of snow removal equipment per mile, by far, than other major cities that get snow AND of course BFLo gets dumped on almost double.

Keep gaming the system people for your individual betterment then act all indignant when people on the road are not looking out for the best interest and safety of the whole group.

Hypocrites. It's the "me the individual world" that is being propagated. Clog the roads, add wear and tear, burn more fuel... Reap what we sow.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yeah. They were pissing and moaning that BFLo was the highest fee... Yet, who gets an average of 100" of snow a year... Roads gotta be plowed, more wear and tear on maintenance, infrastructure with harder freeze/thaw, wet conditions. Yeah, I can see WNY being a higher rate than a vast number of areas, just on infrastructure maintenance & repair only.

Seems like they are shoe horning BFLo into a one-size-fits-all price. BFLo already makes do with the least amount of snow removal equipment per mile, by far, than other major cities that get snow AND of course BFLo gets dumped on almost double.

Keep gaming the system people for your individual betterment then act all indignant when people on the road are not looking out for the best interest and safety of the whole group.

Hypocrites. It's the "me the individual world" that is being propagated. Clog the roads, add wear and tear, burn more fuel... Reap what we sow.

Clog the roads? People have do get to the airport somehow right? This is providing a service to transport people to the airport that are going anyway. Your argument for a potentially very high percentage tax holds no water.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/25/the-uber-and-the-frog/

Clog the roads? People have do get to the airport somehow right? This is providing a service to transport people to the airport that are going anyway. Your argument for a potentially very high percentage tax holds no water.

You left out $.50 a ride for added regional maintenance.