Who is still mad we tanked the Jets game?

I remember a lot of folks fuming mad we started EJ and lost the season finale last season. (ALynn's debut and finale as head coach.) Considering we'd be drafting 15th instead of 10th if we had won that game, how do you feel about it now. especially if you were mad when it happened? Would you rather be picking 15th on principle?

I didn't think at the time we tanked that game, i just thought the coaching staff gave up on the team, and the players no longer bought into what Ryan was dishing them, but to answer your question, I was happy they lost that game then, and still happy now. i was officially not a fan of Rx as soon as he drove Jim Swartz(spelling) out of town.

after reading what I just wrote, I guess you could call that tanking.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think at the time we tanked that game, i just thought the coaching staff gave up on the team, and the players no longer bought into what Ryan was dishing them, but to answer your question, I was happy they lost that game then, and still happy now. i was officially not a fan of Rx as soon as he drove Jim Swartz(spelling) out of town.

after reading what I just wrote, I guess you could call that tanking.

it's worse when a coach tries to weasel out a useless win and not play "the kids" when the season is over.

Thankfully that was all settled the week of the Steelers game, Rex was gone, guaranteed right after that game if Pittsburgh left the Bills impaled at the 50.

Here's a fork and a knife fanboy. Eat !

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rex-ryan-in-jeopardy-of-losing-his-job-as-soon-as-this-week-as-is-tyrod-taylor/amp/

Facts > Emotions sir.

http://www.yardbarker.com/mobile/content/article/s1_12680_22862866

Block out the Tyrod suckitude out like a CoT boss, feel free to apologize anytime.

So. I was one of the most negative posters on OBD back in the BBMB. Taylor is one thing that they got right in quite awhile.

So. I was one of the most negative posters on OBD back in the BBMB. Taylor is one thing that they got right in quite awhile.

I wouldn't have put you as one of the most negative posters from BBMB, there were far more rabid members...

Yes, you were quite negative. Mostly about a now former Bill.

By week 2 you were so negative that jump off of the TT bandwagon for about 2 weeks then jumped back on after the 3rd win and carried on singing his praises.

I wouldn't have put you as one of the most negative posters from BBMB, there were far more rabid members...

that depends on "who" the subject of his negativity was.

beyond EJ his ire went to the defense and Rex.

jm2009 didn't belong on the list of deep-end negative BBMB fans, at least from my POV.

I don't see any of the top 10 on here, so far.

I think that Kelly guy is on here. During the Buddy Nix era, i was pretty harsh with the organization. It's improved, but not quite enough yet.

By week 2 you were so negative that jump off of the TT bandwagon for about 2 weeks then jumped back on after the 3rd win and carried on singing his praises.

and Whaley and RB.

EJ proved to be a terrible NFL QB. Bills fans should not want terrible a part of their team, unless they have an infatuation.

jm2009 didn't belong on the list of deep-end negative BBMB fans, at least from my POV.

I don't see any of the top 10 on here, so far.

Well, one guy only lasted a day, so, maybe that was one? :)

That must be wrong because in that time the Mannings have won two each. So it has to be 4 surely?

EDIT: ah okay in the full context of the conversation about acquiring players I understand. Peyton with the Broncos doesn't count.

:thumbsup:

I know it's perhaps disheartening to draft crazy fans to look at it this way.........trust me, I used to have 4 vcr's going on Saturdays in the fall and was at one point maybe the boards resident draftnik in the late 90's/early 2000's.........but the reality is that you can win without drafting well early........hell you could probably win WITHOUT having a first round pick for 10+ years straight if you had a franchise QB and otherwise drafted, developed and utilized FA well...............which unfortunately puts the entire process in perspective.

I know it's perhaps disheartening to draft crazy fans to look at it this way.........trust me, I used to have 4 vcr's going on Saturdays in the fall and was at one point maybe the boards resident draftnik in the late 90's/early 2000's.........but the reality is that you can win without drafting well early........hell you could probably win WITHOUT having a first round pick for 10+ years straight if you had a franchise QB and otherwise drafted, developed and utilized FA well...............which unfortunately puts the entire process in perspective.

No I agree with that. New England are living proof. Their record un the 1st is mixed but they hit later, and in UDFAs and in trades and FA. And they can afford to miss on 1sts because they have Brady.

All of that is lovely. But off the point.

Itt doesn't affect the fact - and it's a stone cold fact - that teams get more starters and productive players from round one than round two. And more in round two than round three. And so on. Fact.

And yes, picking top five certainly DOES make it more likely that you'll get a franchise QB. It's not eight times more likely or anything, but yeah, it's more likely. And your Super Bowl thing is irrelevant. Winning the Super Bowl is a team thing, not a QB thing. Being competitive to win a Super Bowl has QB as a major factor. You need a franchise guy. But since there are 10 - 12 franchise guys in the league, winning the SB is a team thing among the teams with franchise QBs. The likelihood of getting a franchise guy improves the earlier he's picked. Fact.

You need a franchise QB. You're more likely to get one early in the first than anywhere else. And if you can't get one early in the first then get one a little later in the first, as that's the next most likely place, the place you pick up guys like Flacco, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, etc. Heck, Brees was picked #32 as well.

I'm thinking of your post again, "most overrated avenue for acquiring talent is round 1."

I say this often, because it is a great analogy. It's like what Churchill said about democracy, "Democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others." Exactly.

And the first round is the worst and least consistent way to get talent. Except for all the others.

It's "lovely" because you want to ignore the reality.......it's a less entertaining offseason without the magic surrounding the healing properties of first round picks.

I get that.......but that's the reality in a league where the QB is so much more important than any and every other position on the field.

We are in agreement on one thing.........for a team without an elite, HOF-type QB......the first round should be ALL ABOUT getting one.

Passing on a potential franchise QB........to fill a need or draft an easier evaluation at another position.......is not a worthwhile risk.

That is my key point wrt first round picks........the less important the position is......the more likely that pick isn't going to change your fortunes.

And the drop off from a QB......which is max value.....say a "10" on impact..........and the next highest importance.....pass rusher......is precipitous.......like maybe a value between a "3 or 4" impact.

By passing on QB's.........you are essentially taking the low ceiling pick........that's just the way it ends up in the big picture.

You don't build great teams with a deep foundation of first round picks any longer........the last two non-QB/offense driven SB champs were very heavily defensive weighted wrt talent.

In THEORY......these are exactly the kinds of teams that must be built on a foundation of great first round picks. Right?

But the ONLY key first rounders on Seattle and Denver's defenses were Earl Thomas and Von Miller, respectively........it's not like there were 5 first rounders leading those defenses......the vast majority of that talent was drafted later or acquired by FA/trade.

Edited by #BADOL

I agree Badol. I do however think that a team can flush itself even further down the sewer if it wastes 1st round picks, especially those in the top 10.

The thing is, you and your 4 vcrs would have taken this team to the playoffs at least once. Our drafts have been a textbook model of what NOT to do.

It's almost as if an NFL team would have to try to be as bad as us. :(

If your goal isn't to pick 32nd every draft, you shouldn't be in charge of any of those things.

Tanking is an NBA thing, and the NFL structure shows again and again that when building a 53 man roster, picking smart players and trying to teach the 53 you have to play winning football is better than the occasional Andrew Luck moment. There are so many star players picked out of the top 15 and so many busts in the top 15, that come draft day I love the highest picks I can have, but factoring that into any decision to try to compete with the 53 you have many months earlier is dumb...and it is dumb over and over.

Not picking Blaine Gabbert over JJ Watt. Tell me which of the 15 players taken ahead of EJ Manuel is really the guy who turns your team around?

If we get the #1 pick some time, I hope we pick a really good football player, but in the meantime I just want us to pick the best we can at #10 or #15 or eventually #32, and take those best players we pick and try to win one game each Sunday until it is time to repeat that process again.

So the Sabres tank two complete years in a row, and we suck it up and are happy about Eichel and optimistic abut Reinhart. The Bills tank one game and there's angst? Come on. The Bills season was almost over when they collapsed in Miami and were 4-3 instead of 5-2, facing the tough part of the schedule. It was really over when they collapsed against Oakland. Why not look ahead in the last game of the year?

They should have played Cardale Jones the entire game. Give him some reps. The only reason not to do that was the risk of injury to a guy they think might turn out to be a good player eventually.

So the Sabres tank two complete years in a row, and we suck it up and are happy about Eichel and optimistic abut Reinhart. The Bills tank one game and there's angst? Come on. The Bills season was almost over when they collapsed in Miami and were 4-3 instead of 5-2, facing the tough part of the schedule. It was really over when they collapsed against Oakland. Why not look ahead in the last game of the year?

They should have played Cardale Jones the entire game. Give him some reps. The only reason not to do that was the risk of injury to a guy they think might turn out to be a good player eventually.

They didn't tank, they just sucked. Still do as a matter of fact. Watch any of the Toronto game last night? Holy crap do they still suck.

They didn't tank, they just sucked. Still do as a matter of fact. Watch any of the Toronto game last night? Holy crap do they still suck.

Leafs owed the fans a good first 10 minutes after that abomination last time against Buffalo.

That was the Leafs third win in Buffalo in like 22 games. Bully for them.