NFL to Release a Video on How to Celebrate Touchdowns.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Bills only being relevant for part of the season for much of the last two decades, it's really been hard to stay a fan of the NFL. This only makes it harder.

http://deadspin.com/nfl-developing-new-way-to-drain-all-joy-from-sport-for-1793517847

Just put the ball down, high five your teammates and get ready for the next offensive series. Who cares about this? Showboating is pathetic and then we tell our children to display sportsmanship when the professions show none.

Imagine celebrating with a dance each time you score a run in baseball, or hit a foul shot in basketball. Hockey I can understand since 9.5 out of 10 shots are usually blocked. Martin Grammatica did that crap each time he hit a kick. It's pathetic. Just put the ball down or give it to the referee, high five, and go back to the sidelines.

That's your personality. It happens to be mine as well but taking personalities out of football is a mistake.

Making football sterile and uniform is the last thing you want to do.

Football taps into something primal. Us vs. them in arguably the most violent sport on earth.

If there's a place where too many rules and regulations, especially ones put in place to quash individuality were unwelcomed it would be on the gridiron.

I get making the game safer, but they're almost intentionally making it less fun. That takes extraordinary ego.

I love the Bills and the sport of football. But if anyone deserves a huge serving of humble pie it's the NFL.

So were you OK with the throat-slitting celebration that was becoming popular among defensive players before the NFL outlawed it?

Just put the ball down, high five your teammates and get ready for the next offensive series. Who cares about this? Showboating is pathetic and then we tell our children to display sportsmanship when the professions show none.

Imagine celebrating with a dance each time you score a run in baseball, or hit a foul shot in basketball. Hockey I can understand since 9.5 out of 10 shots are usually blocked. Martin Grammatica did that crap each time he hit a kick. It's pathetic. Just put the ball down or give it to the referee, high five, and go back to the sidelines.

So were you OK with the throat-slitting celebration that was becoming popular among defensive players before the NFL outlawed it?

I wasn't aware of the rampant faux throat slit problem but no, what the heck do I care?

I may be crazy but I don't love these players. We're not related and I've never worn their varsity sweater. They're entertainers to me and if they want to anger another player and get feral out there I'm all for it.

People seem to think they're watching the ballet. This is the most violent sport on earth where 300 pound dudes run as hard and fast as they possibly can into people that weigh half their weight.

I know what I'm watching. I know they're not actually going to take a knife and cut into another players carotid. If they're getting heated and rabid out there it's even more entertaining for me.

Edited by likei've

Andre Reed has some very fun celebrations. I actually have a signed photo of him jumping like five feet into the air and spiking the ball through his outstretched legs.

Looks awesome and I'm sure every single one of us old enough to watch it were screaming our heads off,

People need to relax.

I have that picture too! Against the Jets, right?

I wasn't aware of the rampant faux throat slit problem but no, what the heck do I care?

I may be crazy but I don't love these players. We're not related and I've never worn their varsity sweater. They're entertainers to me and if they want to anger another player and get feral out there I'm all for it.

People seem to think they're watching the ballet. This is the most violent sport on earth where 300 pound dudes run as hard and fast as they possibly can into people that weigh half their weight.

I know what I'm watching. I know they're not actually going to take a knife and cut into another players carotid. If they're getting heated and rabid out there it's even more entertaining for me.

The league, however is not trying to appeal to you. They are interested in a broader swath to sell to advertisers.

The NFL is a joke.....it's pathetic that they spend so much time on policing TD celebrations. It's like telling the kids they can go to the amusement park but they can't get on any of the rides.

More like they can get on the rides but they can't scream or laugh.

You're so awesome Goodell

This was likely not his idea.

Start the playclock as soon as they score.

You have that amount of time to 'celebrate' as you wish and get the K-team out for the XP.

Easy fix.

Teams that are up will be happy to burn clock celebrating.

Still better than the Bills releasing a handbook on vaginal maintenance.

There's a Sammy reference in there somewhere...

The league, however is not trying to appeal to you. They are interested in a broader swath to sell to advertisers.

I'm not entirely sure about that. I think that was true but it seems this year they're listening to the true fans and taking steps in the right directions.

The NFL was obsessed with getting the casual fan when they had a viable base all along. A rabid, continually breeding fanbase.

With the dipping numbers it seems they're finally willing to work with us. They're going to be less strict on celebrations, and they're really getting on the networks for excessive ad time.

It's about time they cater to us, no other sport in the US was even close in enjoying the success the NFL was and all they cared about was getting news fans. The old fans spoke in the one way they'd understand and at least for the moment it seemed to work.

Edited by likei've

Really? You watch less football because of Td celebrations?

I call Bologna!

Bologna!!!!!

The "me" generation of players plus the marketing machine the NFL has become are both huge turn-off's. When a player is doing a sack dance or some stupid TD celebration I'm either changing the channel or blasting past it on the DVR, same as I do for commercials... Throw in the replay garbage, and the NFL is almost unwatchable these days.

Edited by T-Bomb

I'm not entirely sure about that. I think that was true but it seems this year they're listening to the true fans and taking steps in the right directions.

The NFL was obsessed with getting the casual fan when they had a viable base all along. A rabid, continually breeding fanbase.

With the dipping numbers it seems they're finally willing to work with us. They're going to be less strict on celebrations, and they're really getting on the networks for excessive ad time.

It's about time they cater to us, no other sport in the US was even close in enjoying the success the NFL was and all they cared about was getting news fans. The old fans spoke in the one way they'd understand and at least for the moment it seemed to work.

Now if we can get them to be less strict on the defense (holding, illegal contact, PI, roughing the passer) it would be exponentially better to watch but

quote-of-course-that-s-just-my-opinion-i

Nothing is worse than Ray Lewis's "Here I am dance" no unseeng that.

What the what. I've been to many Ravens games.

When the announcer starts playing hot in heere by Nelly and Ray Lewis does his dance to start the game the place goes apeshhhhhht.

It's really fun after 10-20 beers.